IGNORED

Cuco Martina

• 1 month later...

[Shukes’s comment from matchday post]

“Garbutt struggles to make an impression in the U23s mate. He’s nowhere near this level. We need Baines and Coleman back and a new signing.”

I’m always on alert when called “mate,” but at least Shukes didn’t call me a bloody idiot, no matter how tempting.  Anyhow, I admit to ignorance of how Garbutt is doing with U23s.  I’ll say that Martina is nowhere near this level, either, at least at LB.

I’m pretty sure almost all on TT see that even a declining Baines is a much better option than Martina.  And if Coleman can return - I’m nervous about whether and when he can recover - then I suppose Kenny can be temporary backup at both FBs.  True enough, we desperately need a new LB signing in Jan.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I say it so many times but it’s the lack of effort that gets to me. He just gives up on balls and lets his man have it. 

A lack of ability is forgivable because he doesn’t pick himself but the effort he puts in to get to balls is infuriating. 

Exactly. He just doesn't care about defending. It' like it' something he is being made to do but doesn' really want to. It's absolutely bizarre.

2 mates of mine ( Saints fans ) ripped the piss out of me when we signed Cuco. Said he was the worse defender they have ever seen at their club. So Koeman signs him!!!! He would struggle in a league 2 team.

I would rather Besic play left back. Milner done a job for City at LB like Young is doing at Utd. I'm pissed off when i see Cuco in the starting line up, yesterday showed even our own players have no faith in his ability. I hope that's the last time he wears the blue shirt!!! It's like starting with 10 men every time he plays.

1 hour ago, milesey05 said:

2 mates of mine ( Saints fans ) ripped the piss out of me when we signed Cuco. Said he was the worse defender they have ever seen at their club. So Koeman signs him!!!! He would struggle in a league 2 team.

I would rather Besic play left back. Milner done a job for City at LB like Young is doing at Utd. I'm pissed off when i see Cuco in the starting line up, yesterday showed even our own players have no faith in his ability. I hope that's the last time he wears the blue shirt!!! It's like starting with 10 men every time he plays.

In fairness I thought he was solid enough in the last 2 games but yesterday was a clusterfuck and like you say it was clear that the players had had enough of him. 

LB is the first signing we need to make IMO although at least from Jan 1st we can register Garbutt (if deemed good enough).

Shite 

Even against WH you could tell nobody really trusts him with the ball the amount of times Rooney could have fed him through or squared it and went the other way was laughable 

He's possibly one of the most out of his depth players I've ever seen tbh it's not the lads fault he's here but I can't wait for him to be jogged on, Koeman you donut! 

He has the support of the players though. Pretty clear that Williams was telling him to get his head up when he had his arm around his shoulder. 

He isn’t good enough for us, but I have witnessed thousands of worse players in the premier.  Unfortunately most of them have played for us haha.

Remember Earl Barret. He earned me my place as a semi professional.

16 hours ago, London Blue said:

He played ok against one of the worst teams in the league, hardly a statement of his quality.

The team that just beat Chelsea, listen he's not a left back he is at best 3rd choice right back there is obviously in the mangers view nobody else he could put there and even after 30 minutes he never changed it why because there is no one, people have been saying for the last year if Baines gets injured were fucked and he is and we are, so don't go jumping all over Martina like he was brought for that role and he's let everyone down cause that is fucking bollocks. He was up against their best player what Allardyce could have done was switch Kenny with him but he never maybe because he was happy with his performance who knows but if was as bad as your saying the manager had plenty of opportunities to change it and he never, strange that I wonder why I'm sure your going to tell me.

1 hour ago, badaids said:

He's genuinely terrible. Earl Barrett wasn't as bad as him. Where is Garbutt and why isn'ttt he in the team ahead of him?

Earl Barret was a lot worse mate. Get the ball, don’t look up, play it up the line to no one.... every time. He inspired me to go further haha.

Garbutt is playing for the U23s. He’s just not good enough. 

Martina needs replacing. Hopefully we can bring in someone in January.

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

The team that just beat Chelsea, listen he's not a left back he is at best 3rd choice right back there is obviously in the mangers view nobody else he could put there and even after 30 minutes he never changed it why because there is no one, people have been saying for the last year if Baines gets injured were fucked and he is and we are, so don't go jumping all over Martina like he was brought for that role and he's let everyone down cause that is fucking bollocks. He was up against their best player what Allardyce could have done was switch Kenny with him but he never maybe because he was happy with his performance who knows but if was as bad as your saying the manager had plenty of opportunities to change it and he never, strange that I wonder why I'm sure your going to tell me.

You're right it's not Coco's fault he was filling a position that should have been sorted in the transfer window. It's not his fault Koeman brought him here.

He is however one of the worst defenders I have even seen. 

Stats are there to show each side though, while we really tend to look for his mistakes. Again, he managed to keep possibly Europe’s most in form talent down to one attempt. 

His tackling wasn’t that bad, and the goal could be argued as more of a shove than a show of strength from Salah.

But then on the flip side, stays do t show positioning. As Bailey pointed out, this was his worst attribute during the game. Playing out of position or whatever reason, it was still happening. And the last twenty minutes of the match was awful for him. Should have been taken off... his head had dropped and he didn’t want to be there.

46 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Erm....

It either shows stats to be useless or shows how bad we are at judging players....

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cuco-martina-fact-evertons-unsung-14025430

He’s always going to be a whipping boy, regardless of how well he does. 

Personally think hes ok, but shouldn’t be played as a full back and when he makes a mistake, they tend to be doozies