IGNORED

Cuco Martina

1 minute ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Talk about kicking a club when their down , poor old Stoke fans were already devastatrd after last seasons relegation and then we go and inflict Coco and Williams on them 

i wouldn't be surprised if they come good for them, dwight gayle was a yard dog in the premier league and leading scorer in the championship.  night and day.

Happy he's gone, never was going to be good enough to wear our shirt.

ive never seen a player tackle or head a ball so unorthodoxly, watching him week in week out was tortour, and he caused the team to be completely unbalanced as anyone playing in front of him was petrified he'd make a mistake and they needed to hang back to cover him.

6 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Happy he's gone, never was going to be good enough to wear our shirt.

ive never seen a player tackle or head a ball so unorthodoxly, watching him week in week out was tortour, and he caused the team to be completely unbalanced as anyone playing in front of him was petrified he'd make a mistake and they needed to hang back to cover him.

all depends on the position he is played in I think.

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i wouldn't be surprised if they come good for them, dwight gayle was a yard dog in the premier league and leading scorer in the championship.  night and day.

I’m not arsed about Williams because his Everton career is effectively over but I sincerely hope that Coco “comes good” enough for them to buy him. 

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Ghoat said:

A Cuco sighting! He played CB last night for Curacao in the 1-0 snoozefest. I'm not sure if he played well, or the toothless attack didn't give him much to do. But oddly, he looked more comfortable at CB than playing FB

Playing 'I spy' in the opposing team's back line was certainly the highlight of that USA game for me.

2 hours ago, Ghoat said:

A Cuco sighting! He played CB last night for Curacao in the 1-0 snoozefest. I'm not sure if he played well, or the toothless attack didn't give him much to do. But oddly, he looked more comfortable at CB than playing FB

There were a few other players named Martina on the squad as well.  I wonder if they are relatives or if that’s just a common surname.

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

There were a few other players named Martina on the squad as well.  I wonder if they are relatives or if that’s just a common surname.

I wondered that myself (I think there were at least 2 if not 3) especially after one of the commentators said a majority of the players were raised in the Netherlands.

5 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Just looked it up there is a set of twins on the team, defender (Shermar) and midfielder (Shermaine) Martina that played last night. They play for the same club in the 2nd division of Dutch football.  

14 hours ago, Palfy said:

Am I the only one who thinks he would be better cover for Coleman than Holgate at RB. 

I’d rather give Holgate a go but, as back up, I think he’d be an ok stopgap for half a season. If Seamus got injured early in the season, then a RB would be primary target in January. If after that, primary target for next summer. But only a half season max backup, unless he does well of course 

14 hours ago, Palfy said:

Am I the only one who thinks he would be better cover for Coleman than Holgate at RB. 

Neither Holgate nor Martina would be excellent as RB backup, but either would probably be adequate.  Martina was simply overmatched at LB.  I’d be satisfied with Holgate/Martina as 4th/5th choice CH and 2d/3d choice RB.

Backline priority is obviously keeping Zouma, or buying a comparably talented starter, with Mina beginning the season as 3d choice CH.

Given our desperate needs for a starting CH and 1st choice striker, hoping to find a 2d choice RB — one significantly better than Martina/Holgate and who would be willing to sit most matches — seems misplaced focus to me.