IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

Just now, Matt said:

Maybe, but probably wasn’t expecting the lad to get the shot off. Because it should never have been allowed to. No chance with the second goal though, it was brilliant. If Ronaldo had scored it, it’d be on repeat all over the show. 

Matt this is my whole point... Gomes apparently wasn't expecting the pass, despite being 2 metres from james who had stopped and opened his body to pass it.

What was Pickford expecting?  His focus levels are poor. From the first minute his head wasnt right.... Shite bouncing ball back to him by mina but he needed to clear it rather than lob it 5 yards to an opponent.

Pickford was great last week. From the get go this week he looked away with it.  The goals can't be put as his fault but he wasn't right for them.  The first was actually saveable - a good strike but saveable if he set himself right. There was no other option but to shoot as the passes were closed off. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

Only on TT could people be upset after a 5-2 win 😂

ste you have said time and again we are improving the lineup and the average players need to go.  you champion the james, allan, doucoure richarlison saying that is what he need to aim for.  so why do you want to stick with pickford?  wouldn't you rather a top keeper to go with our top players?  i would

3 hours ago, StevO said:

We scored five goals, so I won’t be worrying about what the keeper did. 

I wish i could share that view. Im not getting involved with if he should or shouldn't have saved the goals, but Pickford set the tone quite literally from minute 1 yesterday. He still seems to be making those silly mistakes he did last season and I'm genuinely fearful of how many points hes going to cost us over the course of this season. 

We need a reliable shot stopper as back up who will get in the squad off the back of Pickfords inevitable poor form. Foster wouldn't be a bad shout, nothing flashy and but reliable until we can get a real keeper in next summer. 

1 minute ago, Aidan said:

I wish i could have that view. Im not getting involved with if he should or shouldn't have saved the goals, but Pickford set the tone quite literally from minute 1 yesterday. He still seems to be making those silly mistakes he did last season and I'm genuinely fearful of how many points hes going to cost us over the course of this season. 

We need a reliable shot stopper as back up who will get in the squad on the back of Pickfords inevitable poor form. Foster wouldn't be a bad shout, nothing flashy and but reliable until we can get a real keeper in next summer. 

He was erratic again, but the back pass from Mina was awful put him under pressure from the set go, maybe knocked his mojo off kilter?

7 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

He was erratic again, but the back pass from Mina was awful put him under pressure from the set go, maybe knocked his mojo off kilter?

As I said earlier the pass from mina was a joke.... But why did he have to lob it in the box, it sat up for him to clear it. Made the situation what it was. 

I've watched our keepers starting with Gordon West. Big Nev a stand out followed by Nigel Martyn and Tim Howard. Never felt nervous from the off in a game with them between the sticks. Unfortunately Jordan was flimsy for the first 15 minutes on Saturday and it was noted by BT Sport commentary team (I know we don't always see eye to eye with commentators).

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

ste you have said time and again we are improving the lineup and the average players need to go.  you champion the james, allan, doucoure richarlison saying that is what he need to aim for.  so why do you want to stick with pickford?  wouldn't you rather a top keeper to go with our top players?  i would

I still want every single player in the team replaced with better players, all of them, all of the time. If we could buy 11 better players tomorrow I’d want us to. 
But after a great win, and the third win in seven days, I’m happy.

In regards time Pickford, the reason I’m happy to stick with him is I don’t see us buying a better keeper. If we do go and buy a better keeper, great. If we still have money to spend I’d rather we buy a centre half. 
Of the two goals we’ve conceded so far this season, I’m not bothered about Pickford's role in them. If he messes up I’m more than happy to say so, but I don’t see anything wrong. 

4 hours ago, Aidan said:

I wish i could share that view. Im not getting involved with if he should or shouldn't have saved the goals, but Pickford set the tone quite literally from minute 1 yesterday. He still seems to be making those silly mistakes he did last season and I'm genuinely fearful of how many points hes going to cost us over the course of this season. 

We need a reliable shot stopper as back up who will get in the squad off the back of Pickfords inevitable poor form. Foster wouldn't be a bad shout, nothing flashy and but reliable until we can get a real keeper in next summer. 

I understand that. But if we are buying a back up he won’t be taking Pickford’s place. 
Hardly any teams have a back on keeper who can genuinely challenge the first choice’s place. 
Who do we go and buy? Who would be willing to sell? It’s not going to happen. 

Also, Carlo hasn’t gone after a new keeper. I trust Carlo more than any fans opinion. He knows more than enough. 

7 hours ago, StevO said:

I understand that. But if we are buying a back up he won’t be taking Pickford’s place. 
Hardly any teams have a back on keeper who can genuinely challenge the first choice’s place. 
Who do we go and buy? Who would be willing to sell? It’s not going to happen. 

Also, Carlo hasn’t gone after a new keeper. I trust Carlo more than any fans opinion. He knows more than enough. 

I trust him too, but the evidence is there Stev. 

I can't think of many more we could go in for, but Foster wouldn't cost that much and could save us points in the long run (theoretically of course). 

How long have we been asking for pickford to improve now? I genuinely thought he'd come back a better player this season but now I'm sceptical. 

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

I trust him too, but the evidence is there Stev. 

I can't think of many more we could go in for, but Foster wouldn't cost that much and could save us points in the long run (theoretically of course). 

How long have we been asking for pickford to improve now? I genuinely thought he'd come back a better player this season but now I'm sceptical. 

I don’t think Foster is better than him. 
Ask yourself why since leaving United Foster has only played for the likes of West Brom and Watford? Why have no bigger clubs come in to buy him? Since he left United pretty much all of the big clubs in the league have signed new keepers and not gone for him. 
That’s what I ask when we are linked with any keeper to replace him. Why haven’t other coaches rated them higher?

Pickford was very good against Spurs, he had a flappy 15 minutes against West Brom. It’s early days yet. From the West Brom game im more concerned about Mina than Pickford. 

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Foster is a solid unspectacular keeper in the mould of Tim Howard.  Knows how to take the sting out of games, very underrated.

I would take that over Pickford and his erratic ways. 

So, why did he spend his best years at West Brom and Watford?

Why did no big clubs want him?

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Foster is a solid unspectacular keeper in the mould of Tim Howard.  Knows how to take the sting out of games, very underrated.

I would take that over Pickford and his erratic ways. 

Foster! 😂

I don't understand why people champion players from other teams they clearly barely watch other than the highlights. if Foster was here, or someone like Ryan as he gets banded about a lot, we would be in a lot more trouble than we are with Pickford.

As with the bad start to the game (mentioned generally, not aimed just at you Haf), he was given a shit ball on his wrong foot. Could he have done better with it, yes, but plenty more in this league would have done worse. Sometimes when you are a keeper in that position you just half to do enough, and he did enough from a situation he should never have been placed in. I bet even some of our outfield players would have screwed that up more than Pickford!

I do still feel nervous with Pickford in goal, and not convinced that over a season he makes more top draw saves to compensate for mistakes. And have said all summer a replacement keeper should not be quite high on the list of players needed.

However, so far this season he has been fine, no 'stand out saves' but not head in hand gaffs leading to goals. I will not jump on every little difficult moment he has, as every player on the pitch will have these. I will support every player who is put on to the pitch, and I do hope he can turn his Everton career around and prove he is worthy of being both our and England's No.1. for many years to come.

I think Pickford will get this season to 'prove' himself. But given the previous 18months, I think he is going to need to up his game and really SHOW he worthy of being a No.1 keeper, the writing will be on the wall if its more of the same. 

6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

As with the bad start to the game (mentioned generally, not aimed just at you Haf), he was given a shit ball on his wrong foot. Could he have done better with it, yes, but plenty more in this league would have done worse. Sometimes when you are a keeper in that position you just half to do enough, and he did enough from a situation he should never have been placed in. I bet even some of our outfield players would have screwed that up more than Pickford!

I agree, the bouncing back pass he had to deal with in the first few minutes wasn't the easiest for a keeper to have to deal with under pressure - and to much has been made from that. It now the inevitable extra scrutiny he gets after last year's performance and just being England's No.1.  

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Foster! 😂

I don't understand why people champion players from other teams they clearly barely watch other than the highlights. if Foster was here, or someone like Ryan as he gets banded about a lot, we would be in a lot more trouble than we are with Pickford.

So what you are saying is that you assume you watch other teams and their players more and therefore have a better stance in the argument?  Otherwise why would your argument be any more credible?

I'll counter that and say in the games I've watched foster play against us for Watford he was attentive, experienced - took bookings for time wasting  - made great saves.  A complete presence. 

I recall a game he had for West brom when we had Fellaini just before he left ... Outstanding.  Saved a penno from Siggy last season ...

But no ... Other than that I'll trust you have more to counter. 

Just as a side note ... Pickford doesn't have a weak foot.  Hd is essentially two footed. 

On 16/09/2020 at 13:31, Sibdane said:

I hope you're right. I'm not his biggest fan, but he was immense against Spurs. Credit where credit is due. 

Agree completely with your sentiment. We can't read too much into a single game, or even the first four or five. We'll only know whether or not he's escaped from his malaise over the longer term. Personally, I thought he was partly to blame for their first goal yesterday (watch him as he backtracks and where he stands relative to the goal), not to take anything away from the quality of the goal. My hope is that Allan and Pickford together will learn from each other and demand more of each other.

On 20/09/2020 at 09:25, Matt said:

They were both excellent strikes, which should’ve been blocked by the defence. 

True; however, I was watching him carefully in the lead-up to that goal. His positioning was not great, leaving the far side of the goal a wide-open target. It was all too easy for Diangana to score.

Frankly, the whole team was rather lackadaisical after a few minutes of rather aimless passing - overconfidence? lack of creativity? - so Pickford wasn't the only one at fault, but he was definitely a contributing factor.