IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

There’s no doubts that Ancelotti has worked with some top keepers, and I wouldn’t think many keepers would be happy working behind our defence and midfield at the moment, but let’s wait and see personally I think he’s got the attributes to be a top class keeper. 

Too many of us are quickly forgetting the keepers we had under Bobby Martin's!

On 20/03/2020 at 16:40, Hafnia said:

So was pickford before he got going with England, same with Hart. Same with Paul Robinson, Rob Green, David James......

Even David Seaman who had a rock solid temperament got tested as England's number 1.  

Henderson looks a better all round keeper than pickford.  Has a more assured mentality but I just don't like the burden of being the nation's keeper 

If we could trade Pickford to United for Henderson and cash, you can be sure that Pickford (as United goalie) would be England's #1. That's the way the system works.

13 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Goalkeepers look better when you're not seeing them week after week. You don't see their little issues they have when you're not a fan of their club and only watch them sporadically.

When Howard was coming towards the end of his time with us fans of other clubs still thought he was brilliant for us. But we knew he was well on the downward curve but looked excellent at doing star jumps. Even when he was at his peak they didn't know he was beaten regularly from distance but we did.

Henderson, or whoever else you want to name as being better than Pickford, will have issues and negative points to their game as well but you'll only find them out if/when they sign for us and then you'll moan about those things too. 

But the moaning would be bearable with a significant sum of cash in the bank for players in other positions.

10 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

If we could trade Pickford to United for Henderson and cash, you can be sure that Pickford (as United goalie) would be England's #1. That's the way the system works.

He's currently England's number 1 while playing for Everton, and has been for a while now, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

10 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

But the moaning would be bearable with a significant sum of cash in the bank for players in other positions.

The moaning would be to bring in a new keeper to replace that one because he's not perfect. So not really.

22 hours ago, Palfy said:

As they say Rom you can’t please all the people all the time, but for those who think Pickford is a poor keeper and not good enough I feel there will be no pleasing, as you rightly say everyone has got good and bad points. 
For me we would find it hard to replace his good points and good man management and coaching can iron out his bad. 
Starting with a better defence and midfield will make a difference. 

I’d like to see another season ( if it happens ! ) where Carlo can bolster the defence and get to see what Pickford is really about and if he is as solid as we all want

12 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Fans get way too emotional on "x y z should be England keeper"..... stoke fans going all in on Butland,  Burnley on Pope etc.  

It's a load of bullshit.  If your club keeper gets selected because they are playing well for the club and continue to stay level headed and play well for the club and country then great....  the reality is that it is emotionally very taxing, requires huge maturity and mental strength.  Basically you become a target and most keepers of recent struggle to cope. 

Pickford for one protests too much "eye I'm mentally strong like, I won't make mistakes" .... walks on the pitch giving it large like Joe Hart.  Wrong... that's only heading one way like Joe Hart did. 

4 minutes ago, badaids said:

For all the talk of saying that we should flog him the far bigger risk would be that he says he wants to go, or a bigger team come in with a bid and try it unsettles him.

Like who? What team would want him at the moment?   His save percentages and errors leading to goals make statistically one of the worst in the league.   

Good goalkeepers get bought - no messing about.... there is only one keeper you can have in a team at one time and the pool of keepers playing at the top league level league is around 100 across Europe.  Realistically there are around 30 keepers that the top sides would even look at and they need to be better than what they have got.

Pickford isn't one of those. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Like who? What team would want him at the moment?   His save percentages and errors leading to goals make statistically one of the worst in the league.   

Good goalkeepers get bought - no messing about.... there is only one keeper you can have in a team at one time and the pool of keepers playing at the top league level league is around 100 across Europe.  Realistically there are around 30 keepers that the top sides would even look at and they need to be better than what they have got.

Pickford isn't one of those. 

Well appearances for club and country would say that’s not the case, maybe you could argue that at club level there hasn’t been much option to leave him out, bar buy another keeper which hasn’t happened with the last few managers, so one can only presume that they are happy with him in that position and they have more urgent needs than replacing a perfectly good keeper. 
With the country Southgate has had ample opportunity to replace him but hasn’t, so I can only take from that that he and his coaching staff believe he is the right man for the number one spot, so I will bow down to there better judgment on this one at the moment, but that’s not to say it won’t change in the future and that goes for both directions. 

6 minutes ago, Shukes said:

This discussion started with comments about him not being worth 90m. And like usual, many of us have turned the argument into something else haha.

Now he’s not good enough.

everyone doesn’t need to believe he is top class.

Where have you been self isolating 😷😉

20 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Missus is a nurse mate. Have to be more careful than most. But missing footy so much.

She was sick to death of me moping around on the first Saturday haha.

I know mate it’s not good is it, I must sympathise with your better half having you moping around can’t be good😉
How is it effecting the kids you coach is that been stopped yet or are you still able to carry on. 

17 hours ago, Palfy said:

I know mate it’s not good is it, I must sympathise with your better half having you moping around can’t be good😉
How is it effecting the kids you coach is that been stopped yet or are you still able to carry on. 

We’ve stopped it for the time being. They are struggling to understand at the moment and keep asking when we’re playing again 🙁

Im an emotional wreck over this haha. 

13 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Pass on our thanks for what she and her colleagues are doing.

Really appreciate it Gwlad. It’s incredible the work they are doing at the moment. I will be sure to show her this as she needs a boost at the moment.

Obviously I can’t say too much, but when your life long partner comes back from work each day in tears, and there’s absolutely nothing you can do to help, it’s tough to watch. 

I thought it was tough being an Everton supporter haha.

3 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Chatted to an NHS worker parked next to me at supermarket on Friday. Done a long shift in intensive care, couldn't get half what she needed. Words can't express how I felt.

The world has gone mad mate. I think we will need a complete and drastic lockdown just to be able to help the NHS staff. 
Too many idiots still going out. I’ve heard of people having barbecues on Otterspool today, but there aren’t enough police to take care of it. 

13 minutes ago, StevO said:

The world has gone mad mate. I think we will need a complete and drastic lockdown just to be able to help the NHS staff. 
Too many idiots still going out. I’ve heard of people having barbecues on Otterspool today, but there aren’t enough police to take care of it. 

Got bread and loo roll (last pack on the shelf) from our local One Stop earlier and the lass behind the counter was mad as hell; she said she'd had unaccompanied kids coming in all day buying sweets, wtf is the matter with some people? I mean the parents obviously, not the kids.

How did we end up talking about this in the Pickford thread?:unsure:

50 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Got bread and loo roll (last pack on the shelf) from our local One Stop earlier and the lass behind the counter was mad as hell; she said she'd had unaccompanied kids coming in all day buying sweets, wtf is the matter with some people? I mean the parents obviously, not the kids.

I don’t know but keep don’t get rid 👍

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

As you know Mike, I work in the motor trade. Today at 4:30 we still had three people trying to buy cars in the showroom. Also had people trying to get touch up pens.