IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

I know this has turned into a bit of an argument against the posters rather than the opinions, but I’m surprised that many aren’t agreeing that Pickford is underperforming compared to last year?

To me, it’s blatantly obvious that his performances have dropped. His kicking is erratic. Every match he is apologising to team mates for kicking the ball straight out of play. His saves are a mixture of great and abysmal. His command of his area is non existent. It’s his weakest area.

I don’t think for one second we should sell him, as I think he can hit previous levels again. I think he could improve on last year if he gets his head down. But, he isn’t the same keeper as last year at the moment.

30 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I know this has turned into a bit of an argument against the posters rather than the opinions, but I’m surprised that many aren’t agreeing that Pickford is underperforming compared to last year?

To me, it’s blatantly obvious that his performances have dropped. His kicking is erratic. Every match he is apologising to team mates for kicking the ball straight out of play. His saves are a mixture of great and abysmal. His command of his area is non existent. It’s his weakest area.

I don’t think for one second we should sell him, as I think he can hit previous levels again. I think he could improve on last year if he gets his head down. But, he isn’t the same keeper as last year at the moment.

Exactly this.  His first season he was top class, i said at the time I didn't want him getting in the England squad and I believe this is what changed him.  As England's number 1, opposition fans will try and test you - press will ask you questions and quite frankly he seems to have the mental age of a 12 year old.

The best goalkeepers keep their mouths shut, they don't talk about other keepers. They get their heads down, seaman, Southall, martyn, the fella at Liverpool, schmichael - loud on the pitch quiet off it. 

Joe Hart was a top keeper till he started behaving like some primate alpha male, chest out, drawing attention to himself.... it's inevitable that mistakes will happen. You feel less of a tit if you haven't put yourself out there to be shot - pickford has and does. 

Henderson or pope getting the number 1 spot will probably do him good.  He needs to get a fire lit under his arse. Like lukaku at Inter... he has got something to prove and to me similar to lukaku - he will always need that because complacency seems to be a very obvious trait.

6 hours ago, Shukes said:

i've said i would be fine with selling him if we get a large amount.  we paid 30m, anything less than 50m is a no from me.  he's under performed and has attitude issues.  not a big fan over here.

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i've said i would be fine with selling him if we get a large amount.  we paid 30m, anything less than 50m is a no from me.  he's under performed and has attitude issues.  not a big fan over here.

But you do have a bias against the English players.

He has arrogance, but unless it works out it’s a negative. He’s still one of the top 10 in the world 

17 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Seriously Bailey.... the one time he commanded his area and you make it look like it's bread and butter.

I don't see the big deal here.... he's far from the levels he was at pre world cup and sadly that's as much down to his mentality more than anything.

I wasn't even alert to his save percentage.. I had a feeling he wasn't getting near some shots but oddly saving ones that you wouldn't expect hi. To save.... the fact that he's 20th on 64% is concerning.

Like I say... I don't expect us to go out and buy so done else but I expect Carlo has ideas as to what he wants from his keeper. 

Why are you over exaggerating? I gave one example in the game to counter your erroneous (IMO) example.

The weekend was clearly a big mistake but that aside I don't see many shots conceded that he should be saving. If anything, I see him making more saves I wouldn't expect him to make. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Why are you over exaggerating? I gave one example in the game to counter your erroneous (IMO) example.

The weekend was clearly a big mistake but that aside I don't see many shots conceded that he should be saving. If anything, I see him making more saves I wouldn't expect him to make. 

It's not an erroneous example ... he doesn't command his area. We are piss poor from set pieces and much of it is down to him not asserting himself on balls fired in that 4 to 7 yard corridor.

Disagree as much as you like.... I've seen it enough times to know it's true. 

23 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

It's not an erroneous example ... he doesn't command his area. We are piss poor from set pieces and much of it is down to him not asserting himself on balls fired in that 4 to 7 yard corridor.

Disagree as much as you like.... I've seen it enough times to know it's true. 

So when Pickford came and assertively claimed the ball through several players, after the save from Benteke was that a fluke?

37 minutes ago, London Blue said:

So when Pickford came and assertively claimed the ball through several players, after the save from Benteke was that a fluke?

When I do the hoovering in the house it's not a fluke.... it's just something I'm not used to doing.  Same thing really

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

I know what you mean, it’s not bias. Not sure what the word is 

Mark thinks that we all think our English players are great (I don’t see it with anything other than Sky Sports myself, and certainly not in Evertonians), he just thinks the opposite. 

Just now, StevO said:

Mark thinks that we all think our English players are great (I don’t see it with anything other than Sky Sports myself, and certainly not in Evertonians), he just thinks the opposite. 

Don’t think he means that and still don’t know how to respond properly!

22 minutes ago, StevO said:

yes to some extent.  it's not a knock, myself and other americans do the same with american players (Howard, Pulisic, Dempsey, etc).  hell i thought we should have bought yedlin back in the day before he went to newcastle.

13 hours ago, Shukes said:

The whole team had been underperforming until Silva was shown the door, he’s improved as much everyone else since Ferguson and then Ancelotti took over, but that doesn’t mean he won’t make mistakes as everyone in the team will. 

35 minutes ago, Palfy said:

The whole team had been underperforming until Silva was shown the door, he’s improved as much everyone else since Ferguson and then Ancelotti took over, but that doesn’t mean he won’t make mistakes as everyone in the team will. 

Ye but we’re in the Pickford thread mate. And just because I have a cluster headache, it doesn’t make my missus average headache hurt any less.

16 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Ye but we’re in the Pickford thread mate. And just because I have a cluster headache, it doesn’t make my missus average headache hurt any less.

OK fair enough Shukes I look forward to your critique of the 15 or so other players who are equally guilty of being poor this season in their particular threads🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

Are you talking about the kick that led up to Richarlisons goal or another one?

9 hours ago, Palfy said:

OK fair enough Shukes I look forward to your critique of the 15 or so other players who are equally guilty of being poor this season in their particular threads🤷‍♂️

You just have to look mate. I criticise any player who I think isn’t performing. 
But you will notice a trend, I respond to threads, rather than make points... unless I feel someone particularly deserved it. 

I don’t feel I need to justify my fair criticism of a player by doing the same for every other player. That’s just plain Palfy... or weird as most would call it. 😉

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

You just have to look mate. I criticise any player who I think isn’t performing. 
But you will notice a trend, I respond to threads, rather than make points... unless I feel someone particularly deserved it. 

I don’t feel I need to justify my fair criticism of a player by doing the same for every other player. That’s just plain Palfy... or weird as most would call it. 😉

Haven’t seen anything as yet I’ll keep looking😀👍

It is funny isn't it..... some players it's ok to give pelters to.... Tom Davies, Walcott,  Schneiderlein, Keane, etc...... for a variety of reasons.  Mostly justified but some a little OTT.

But as soon as a "media focused" players like lukaku or pickford get a bit targeted it's a case of circle the wagons ..  as if we need to protect them because every now and then they do things to justify the hype and we dont want them to be pissed off.

The reality is that when they get praised .. they get more praise than anyone, so they need to take the rough with the smooth.

DCL has has all sorts of shit thrown at him. His goalscoring record getting bought up.... how we need a new striker. The lad just kept his gob shut and got his head down and worked 

Personally I believe the issue is this:-  Everton have been starved of "prestige" for a long time.   Any slight appointment that gives the club some kudos is welcomed.... having a striker who scores more than 15 goals or a keeper who gets picked for England automatically seems to create a "let's protect our asset".

The same will happen with Carlo ..... he may make mistakes that Silva, Allardyce etc would get slated for..... but he's "royalty".... we are lucky to have him so let's give him a free pass.  

That's my view anyhow. 

57 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Haven’t seen anything as yet I’ll keep looking😀👍

You’ve not been in the following threads then haha:

Sidibe, Gylfi, Walcott, Richarlison, Keane, and I’m sure there’s more I criticise. 
Don’t get me wrong, I also praise when I think they do well. Bur I don't think any player should be exempt from criticism. I pay a massive amount of money out of what I have available to go and watch them. 

48 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Tom Davies, Walcott,  Schneiderlein

Wouldn't say it's justified at all, just you and the rest of the booh boys hold each others pockets when it comes to these players. Should base it on their individual performances rather than their unjust reputation, although Schneiderlin can be an absolute shithouse he's not been this season he's actually done quite well since Silva left. 

The Walcott one especially irks me and just shows how idiotic some fans are, he's 29 and within a couple of weeks of a new manager people were giving him praise (albeit hesitantly) . There wasn't an upturn in performance. You don't magically start making better runs after only two weeks of a new manager. He'd been making those same runs since he's been here just he wasn't getting found. But rather than blame favourites, manager included, for not finding him that made Walcott the target. 

The Tom Davies myth he gives the ball away gets him the abuse yet he's one of the strongest with it shielding and both footed/quick-brained enough to get the ball to safety or at least try. Compare him to the more senior players who go into hiding. The kid mates a sideways pass and the fans start groaning, he makes a forward pass and it doesn't make it the fans groan. Complete and utter shithouses the lot of them. Happily frogmarch them out of Goodison. Put money on it that they're the same pack the have Ossie abuse. 

Schneiderlin still gets abuse from the whole Ferguson argument.. Yet Ferguson's first game in charge he picked him and got the best out of him. All three have been far from our worse players this year. That unfortunate trophy probably goes to Digne this year but the booh boys don't like hearing that. 

Just now, pete0 said:

Wouldn't say it's okay at all, just you and the rest of the booh boys hold each others pockets when it comes to these players. Should base it on their individual performances rather than their unjust reputation, although Schneiderlin can be an absolute shithouse he's not been this season he's actually done quite well since Silva left. 

The Walcott one especially irks me and just shows how idiotic some fans are, he's 29 and within a couple of weeks of a new manager people were giving him praise (albeit hesitantly) . There wasn't an upturn in performance. You don't magically start making better runs after only two weeks of a new manager. He'd been making those same runs since he's been here just he wasn't getting found. But rather than blame favourites, manager included, for not finding him that made Walcott the target. 

The Tom Davies myth he gives the ball away gets him the abuse yet he's one of the strongest with it shielding and both footed/quick-brained enough to get the ball to safety or at least try. Compare him to the more senior players who go into hiding. 

Schneiderlin still gets abuse from the whole Ferguson argument.. Yet Ferguson's first game in charge he picked him and got the best out of him. All three have been far from our worse players this year. That unfortunate trophy probably goes to Digne this year but the booh boys don't like hearing that. 

I know Pete.... us boo boys are terrible.  Highlighting things that we see in players that aren't great..... like defensive players without winning mentalities or centre midfielders running their legs off and tackling like machines - not realising that tackling means you've made a mistake.

We must try and learn from.thd likes of you.... try not to hold agendas and remain impartial. 

Just now, Hafnia said:

I know Pete.... us boo boys are terrible.  Highlighting things that we see in players that aren't great..... like defensive players without winning mentalities or centre midfielders running their legs off and tackling like machines - not realising that tackling means you've made a mistake.

We must try and learn from.thd likes of you.... try not to hold agendas and remain impartial. 

You're not seeing them though are you. You're in the click and picking on the clicks list of players. Very much akin to media influence, the booh boys reinforce each other. Just look at your reaction to DCL missing from 6 yards compared to Lukaku. Lukaku gets called a unfocused lazy disgrace yet DCL gets oh those that look easy are actually dead hard. 

Pretty sure we're not conceding as many chances through the middle since he's gone. Do you think Silva would still be in a job if Gana was here? I'm almost certain we'd have less points if he was still here as the only difference would be even more chances conceded. 

Didn't you moan about people bringing Lukaku up about you? Yet every other post you reply to mine you have to bring up someone. Shall I get another psych from Google?