IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

3 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Lukaku syndrome strikes again?

Apologies.... I forgot the golden rule that we have to unanimously agree on our opinions of players.

I'll try and erase the situations that make me question his credentials as an elite level keeper and imagine that making the odd spectacular save renders other less spectacular facets of goalkeeping as unimportnant nice to haves....

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Newcastle away.... rugby tackled Rondon .. lucky not to get carded. Shushing Newcastle fans,  ran out to clear a ball missed it, Newcastle nearly scored - pulled tongue at the fans 

Liverpool.... spent most the game kicking off as far as he could, rushing out making rash decisions as the Liverpool fans were goading him.... ended up gifting them a goal. 

Newcastle home 2 weeks ago.... up to his usual nonsense with their fans.  At fault for last 2 goals with a couple of other players.

Of his 88 games for Everton you have an issue with three of them. Pretty good going that. 

Not going over the two goals in the Newcastle game but if he’s taking the blame it’s only because you don’t like him. 

Everyone remember the famous Dixie Dean? He used to score at Anfield and then bow to the kop. I’m sure no one has an issue with Dixie goading the fans. 

Southall was a consummate professional who worked his plums off to levels no keepers could even do.

He was abrupt, arrogant, assertive but he is the best goalkeeper I have ever seen.  Schmichael not even close to him.  Southall didn't even notice the crowd, he didn't make stupid "look At me" dives,  he collected the ball one handed in situations that pickford couldn't do with 2.  Most of all he had the respect of his defence and was an awesome presecene. Not just a foul mouth who couldn't be wrong. 

Anyone who thinks differently never seen him in 85 to 88 when there was no one near him. 

How about when Nev sat against the post sulking on the pitch at half time? Properly disrespecting the manager and his team mates. 

I think a few players have an X above their name in his little black book and are blissfully unaware that brands is likely to be making other clubs aware that we will be looking to sell 

Maybe not pickford....yet. but I think he will be.

“I think” 

“I hope” would be more accurate. 

Apologies.... I forgot the golden rule that we have to unanimously agree on our opinions of players.

I'll try and erase the situations that make me question his credentials as an elite level keeper and imagine that making the odd spectacular save renders other less spectacular facets of goalkeeping as unimportnant nice to haves....

Haf mate, everyone has got an opinion and every right to share it, its just yours are... err...a little..."full on" shall we say.

From reading your posts about Pickford you would think he was a little shit that had been stealing a living from the club, not England's no 1. A bit of perspective is missing I think.

I accept he makes mistakes, can you accept that he is a good keeper? 

I can list 3 areas that need improvement.

1) Consistency in kicking.

2) Focus 

3) Game management, when to go long and when to hold it for a while.

Can you list 3 qualities he has as a goalkeeper?

39 minutes ago, StevO said:

Of his 88 games for Everton you have an issue with three of them. Pretty good going that. 

Not going over the two goals in the Newcastle game but if he’s taking the blame it’s only because you don’t like him. 

Everyone remember the famous Dixie Dean? He used to score at Anfield and then bow to the kop. I’m sure no one has an issue with Dixie goading the fans. 

You asked for 3 examples, now you are saying "It's only 3"...... 

I can't think of 3 games in Southalls entire career where he behaved like a 6 year old kid who has eaten a years worth of blue smarties... yet here we are discussing how a 25 year old lad doesn't have attitude/mentality issues despite actually costing us games..... 

As for Dixie Dean bowing in front of the kop after scoring..... thats what you call class.  He did it 3 times to mark each of his 3 goals, his best mate elisha scott was in goal for them and they shared a healthy but competitive rivalry..... 

This is what exceptional looked like. Feel sorry for those who didn't see him in the 80's.... not enough footage to do him justice. 

Only keeper to get a quarter as close in an Everton shirt was Nigel Martyn

I totally agree.

But I had to giggle when one of those clips has Nev shouting Fuck Off! Haha.

48 minutes ago, StevO said:

How about when Nev sat against the post sulking on the pitch at half time? Properly disrespecting the manager and his team mates. 

The "one" and only blot on his copy book.....  of which he explained as clearing his head.... something he had done before at plough lane.  

Yep.... it's ok. Nothing to see here with pickford - his scrapping when out on the lash in Sunderland isn't anything as bad as teetotal Southall would do....... big nevs was wilder.... he went straight home after the fa cup final to be with his family.

55 minutes ago, StevO said:

“I think” 

“I hope” would be more accurate. 

"Not arsed" is the most accurate. 

The best compliment I could give him is that he isn't as bad as some of the other overhyped youngsters we signed like Richard Wright, Paul Gerrard, Steve Simonsen because he can make class saves. 

To me he is a saleable asset who's supposed value based on the daft numbers quoted on here could be better utilised.  Which has been my point all along....

For some reason it seems to be getting into a "haf hates another player"....... not quite. I just don't think he has enough command of his area, loses his head, his kicking is shit, he doesn't in still confidence in his defenders.  But yeah he makes so.e crackin saves and the ones he misses he manages to throw himself really high a few seconds after the ball has gone. 

To me alot points at a lad who is extremely immature and has issues with concentration.

28 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Haf mate, everyone has got an opinion and every right to share it, its just yours are... err...a little..."full on" shall we say.

From reading your posts about Pickford you would think he was a little shit that had been stealing a living from the club, not England's no 1. A bit of perspective is missing I think.

2) Focus 

I knew England's number 1 would creep in......

It means absolutely fuck all...... The last England number 1 to actually show consistency or club and country was Joe Hart till his erratic behaviour made him a busted flush. Before him it was David Seaman.....

Rob green, Paul Robinson, David James. Kirkland.... all England number 1s

He's a good shot stopper..... that's the only quality I can name.  Even then he is prone to getting beat diving low left..... anyone not noticed this yet? 

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

It means absolutely fuck all...... The last England number 1 to actually show consistency or club and country was Joe Hart till his erratic behaviour made him a busted flush. Before him it was David Seaman.....

He's a good shot stopper..... that's the only quality I can name.  Even then he is prone to getting beat diving low left..... anyone not noticed this yet? 

I think this post makes my point......

For Pickford see Lukaku.

As keepers go he's the next one since Martyn to save us more points than he costs us through mistakes. 

As howlers go only the Zouma mishap comes to mind. Before people say the Derby that pure bad luck, not a howler, he sees the ball out like any other keeper would just unfortunate his fingers tipped the bar, sure all of us have done similar putting a drink on a table for example. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

amen, english keepers behind pickford are who?  pope heaton hart henderson butland?  a veritable who's who of average keepers.  and people are acting like beating all them out is some big accomplishment?  FFS  get a grip lads.  this isn't germany where you have neuer, ter stegen, and leno, keepers of actual quality battling it out.  

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

This is what exceptional looked like. Feel sorry for those who didn't see him in the 80's.... not enough footage to do him justice. 

Only keeper to get a quarter as close in an Everton shirt was Nigel Martyn

THIS. I saw the pair of them and totally agree. I'd include Tim H too. Just do your job, no theatre.

The worrying stat is that only Kepa and Southampton’s keepers (combo of Gunn and McCarthy) have a worse save percentage than Pickford. At one point, early December I think, we’d faced the fewest shots on target but conceded the most goals. I just think he’s very replaceable and with his stock being so high we could get well over what he’s worth and at least replace him with ‘as good’ for a lot less.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepers/Premier-League-Stats

28 minutes ago, c1982 said:

The worrying stat is that only Kepa and Southampton’s keepers (combo of Gunn and McCarthy) have a worse save percentage than Pickford. At one point, early December I think, we’d faced the fewest shots on target but conceded the most goals. I just think he’s very replaceable and with his stock being so high we could get well over what he’s worth and at least replace him with ‘as good’ for a lot less.

Yet if you look back at the Pickford thread there is nothing from the end of June till December when people are complaining about him having a night out at the Bingo.....

No criticism about his form, demands that he improves or clamors for him to be replaced until very recently, why is that?

Answers on a postcard to:

Pickford you are the new Lukaku Ltd, Need to have someone to moan at Avenue, Loss of Perspective City, Blinkered-Ville, Sad Land  

21 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Of those that went in how many should be have done better or another keeper would have done better? 

For me there's a lot more how did he get to that moments than oh, for fuck sakes

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

Yep seen those stats earlier..... but hey! As long as he does the odd top class save it papers over the cracks. 

It is interesting.......  some of our fans are that desperate for relevance that they seem to embrace having a striker who scores 15+ goals Or a keeper who is England's number 1 above them actually being good at the fundamental "boring" things.

Statistically Pickford is pretty average at best. No getting away from it. 

Yet any criticism of him has people frothing at the mouth incredulous that we should be grateful that he's willing to ply his trade here.

Let's say he is worth £50m..... I would be personally gutted if we paid that for a keeper as erratic and inconsistent as he is. Which basically says to me sell and find better for less. 

6 hours ago, London Blue said:

2) Focus 

I know you have addressed Haf but:

Add command of area to this.

FYI his kicking comes under criticism because we all know he can be pinpoint when he has his head on.

# positives-
Shot Stopping - one of the best in the prem - easily.
Penalty Saving - Never been more confident in a keep facing pens
Potential - can be as good as he wants IMO.

Again, I think the people saying negative bits about Pickford (like myself) want to see him grow more in these area's because as mentioned he can really become as good as he wants once he works on the mental side of the game...

6 hours ago, London Blue said:

So is this the bit where Haf says .... "yeah he's finding his feet in a flat track bullies paradise in a shite league where despite having  an impressive sounding 16 goals he is behind immobile on 25 with more assists and Ronaldo on 19.... both having played 2-3 less games. 

Then everyone says.... ffs Had you going on about Lukaku?  

Nope... someone just decided that cos he has scored a few goals in a shit league that he's worth throwing in to discredit my opinion of pickford which is shared by many fans and pundits.

Back to pickford....