IGNORED

Malcom

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

It's not undercutting them though. It's saying this is the price we're willing to pay and we won't go any higher. They don't have to sell to us and can shop the player elsewhere or keep him. 

It's more dangerous for us than them to be like that, but I'm glad this is the road we're going down now.

They’re asking for 5m more, were standing firm so yes, we are undercutting them as we have done for the last several deals.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s great that we’re negotiating hard but this relationship will continue to prosper longer if every now and again we give them a little leeway. I think for €5m after the prices we got Digne, Gomes and, to a lesser extent Geri for, I wouldn’t be haggling in this particular case. Plus, it would potentially get the player here sooner so he’s got more time in preseason. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

They’re asking for 5m more, were standing firm so yes, we are undercutting them as we have done for the last several deals.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s great that we’re negotiating hard but this relationship will continue to prosper longer if every now and again we give them a little leeway. I think for €5m after the prices we got Digne, Gomes and, to a lesser extent Geri for, I wouldn’t be haggling in this particular case. Plus, it would potentially get the player here sooner so he’s got more time in preseason. 

You’re only telling half the story here. On Geri, we provided a place for him to develop while he still belonged to Barca so they would have been perfectly happy with how that worked out. Gomes was always going to be moved on, considering how his tenure went there. They would have been happy enough to get him off the books and it’s not as if there were other clubs offering significantly more. Then there is Mina. He may well come good but, as of now, they will feel like we paid far more than he’s worth. If we had gotten the best of Barca on all our dealings with them then I could see paying full price as an acknowledgement of that but that’s pretty clearly not been the case.

7 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

You’re only telling half the story here. On Geri, we provided a place for him to develop while he still belonged to Barca so they would have been perfectly happy with how that worked out. Gomes was always going to be moved on, considering how his tenure went there. They would have been happy enough to get him off the books and it’s not as if there were other clubs offering significantly more. Then there is Mina. He may well come good but, as of now, they will feel like we paid far more than he’s worth. If we had gotten the best of Barca on all our dealings with them then I could see paying full price as an acknowledgement of that but that’s pretty clearly not been the case.

Re: Geri - First time yes, but when we resigned him for buttons on a permanent contract we did a deal that suited both parties financially too. It was an excellent way to open a relationship. But the relationship has evolved now. Gomes we got for 2/3rds the asking price. Mina we will see if we got him cheep or over paid. 

Again, I’m not knocking our approach. However, my experience in negotiating is to know when to negotiate. Paying €5m more to get this moving, in the current transfer climate, to secure a player and get him integrated sooner is a price worth paying in my eyes and shows a little more flexibility on our side for future negotiations too.  

41 minutes ago, Matt said:

Re: Geri - First time yes, but when we resigned him for buttons on a permanent contract we did a deal that suited both parties financially too. It was an excellent way to open a relationship. But the relationship has evolved now. Gomes we got for 2/3rds the asking price. Mina we will see if we got him cheep or over paid. 

Again, I’m not knocking our approach. However, my experience in negotiating is to know when to negotiate. Paying €5m more to get this moving, in the current transfer climate, to secure a player and get him integrated sooner is a price worth paying in my eyes and shows a little more flexibility on our side for future negotiations too.  

Maybe we just see him as a nice to have signing, rather than a necessity, so only want to pay so much. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Gomes we got for 2/3rds the asking price. Mina we will see if we got him cheep or over paid. 

Yet we still paid more than the next highest bidder West Ham. 

Barcelona haven't refused our offer, they are basically saying this is the price today and waiting to see if anyone is willing to pay more than us. 

That said, in general, for the sake of £5m in today's world of football I'd rather we stumped it up and avoid the risk.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Maybe we just see him as a nice to have signing, rather than a necessity, so only want to pay so much. 

Could well be. 

14 minutes ago, pete0 said:

That said, in general, for the sake of £5m in today's world of football I'd rather we stumped it up and avoid the risk.

This is another part of my point 

The Barca relationship isn’t going sour, we are buying their players they want rid of.  They probably love brands.  “Got another that needs to go, call Marcel”, he’s a proven quantity and they know moshiri has cash.  This isn’t crystal palace dreaming of a move with Monopoly money here.

id take Malcolm and have that fluid front 3 moving in and out and switching and attacking.  He’s still plenty young yet too.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Point (s) taken. I suppose neither of us can know the nature of Brands relationship with the Barca higher ups. I would hope they see him and us as tough but fair when it comes to transfer dealings. It’s certainly a fine line to walk.

15 hours ago, London Blue said:

Brands is a professional football negotiator with years of experience of dealing with clubs all over the world, his track record is exemplary.

He knows how far to push, and when to give a little. 

I trust him, his team as well as Silva and Moshiri with Kenwright to get the deals done.

Same here, was just giving my 2 cents on negotiating considering I’m doing it a lot myself st the moment

21 hours ago, London Blue said:

Brands is a professional football negotiator with years of experience of dealing with clubs all over the world, his track record is exemplary.

He knows how far to push, and when to give a little. 

I trust him, his team as well as Silva and Moshiri with Kenwright to get the deals done.

If he’s as good as you say he is maybe he could sort out Brexit for us 🤷‍♂️😄

21 minutes ago, jofanon said:

Where does he play though?

Charlie or Bernard unlikely to miss out

Feels like we are collecting wingers like we did with 10's (Rooeny, Klaasen, Sig, Vlasic)

Having four wingers is ideal for two places. Richarlison, Bernard, Malcolm and Theo would give us a lot of options. We’ve not had that many players of that quality all at the same time. 

Bit different with 10s as there is only one space, two being ideal.