IGNORED

Joao Virginia

14 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

I dislike this signing, loaning and then they're not deemed good enough and get sold. I know it's now commonplace but Beckham Scholes Butt Giggs GNev played regularly and look where it got Utd. Brands was supposedly pro young players but the likes of DCL, Holgate and Davies aren't getting regular run-puts due to subsequent 'big name signings' so do we really have a youth policy?

Maybe, just maybe, DCL, Holgate and Davies aren't seen as good enough to be anything other than squad players? Weird that not all youngsters are amazing, I know, but I just thought I'd float that radical idea out there.

I'm sure if we had a kid that was thought to be better than the current first teamers then they'd be in there getting more game time, because results matter.

18 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

I dislike this signing, loaning and then they're not deemed good enough and get sold. I know it's now commonplace but Beckham Scholes Butt Giggs GNev played regularly and look where it got Utd. Brands was supposedly pro young players but the likes of DCL, Holgate and Davies aren't getting regular run-puts due to subsequent 'big name signings' so do we really have a youth policy?

They have to be good enough to get a place, if they aren’t good enough they won’t play. The United lads you mentioned were good enough (though Gary Neville says they only played so much because the senior players were of such a high level),  Holgate and Davies aren’t deemed good enough in the managers opinion. To be fair, I’m not sure I’d start either of them myself. 

16 hours ago, Finn balor said:

That and they had schmeichel, Bruce, pallister, Keane etc which was the spine of the team 

Seems my reply was a bit late 😂

Gary Neville said recently that the senior pros in the team were the main reason they got a chance. If Bruce, Pallister and Irwin weren’t so solid they couldn’t have risked him at right back. If Keane wasn’t so solid they couldn’t have risked Scholes and Beckham.

Giggs couldn’t be left out though, he was just ridiculously talented on the left wing that they had to get him in the team. If only he decided to play for England when we had no left footers in the midfield. 

14 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Why can't it happen again? A bit like Leicester winning the Prem. It's things coming together at a particular time.

About 5% of youth players at premier league clubs (that stat is from about five years ago) make it at the club they play for. I’m no maths genius, but I imagine the percentage for three or four to come through together is a very small figure. 

It could happen again, but I don’t think it will. The immediate need for success will stop it from happening. You need consistency to be able to risk these lads.

Look at Marco right now, he’s under pressure after only a few games. Image he starts playing kids and we keep losing, he gets fired. Look at the thread with his name, the fans would rip him apart if it didn’t work. The fans demands for instant success is a massive factor why you won’t see it happen again in my opinion. 

Chelsea have Mount and Abraham in the side, but if they didn’t have their hands tied would they play? I doubt it. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

About 5% of youth players at premier league clubs (that stat is from about five years ago) make it at the club they play for. I’m no maths genius, but I imagine the percentage for three or four to come through together is a very small figure. 

It could happen again, but I don’t think it will. The immediate need for success will stop it from happening. You need consistency to be able to risk these lads.

Look at Marco right now, he’s under pressure after only a few games. Image he starts playing kids and we keep losing, he gets fired. Look at the thread with his name, the fans would rip him apart if it didn’t work. The fans demands for instant success is a massive factor why you won’t see it happen again in my opinion. 

Chelsea have Mount and Abraham in the side, but if they didn’t have their hands tied would they play? I doubt it. 

Great post. Managers these days are damned regardless of what they do if it doesn't produce instant results and unfortunately it feels like our fanbase is becoming one of the worst for it (at least online). 

4 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Agreed. Everyone is lauding lampard at the minute. Mersin has come out today and stated they could dominate English football if they all stay together. They have some really good players but the game changes once their ban is lifted and he loses a couple of games. 

Those no doubt in my mind that if Chelsea didn't have a transfer ban then Lampard wouldn't be there anyway. These young players at Chelsea wouldn't be playing likewise.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

From a Reading website reviewing their keepers... We might need 3 new keepers this off season! 😅

Joao Virginia (three appearances)

Rating: 1/10

Joao Virginia started the season as the Reading no.1 (Image: Eddie Greville)

A bizarre signing to say the least, the Portuguese was brought in on loan from Everton for the season having played no senior football.

Even though he looked somewhat shaky in the pre-season games he featured in, he was thrown into the Reading first team on the opening day and conceded three goals in the defeat by Sheffield Wednesday.

A shocker the following weekend at Hull City saw him dropped from the squad and although he returned for one final chance in the League Cup game at Wolves in September he again cost the side a goal and was subsequently sent back early to Everton in January.

It remains to be seen whether he will go on to be a top quality goalkeeper but this simply was a case of wrong place, wrong time for Virginia who will go down as one of Royals' worst ever signings.

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

From a Reading website reviewing their keepers... We might need 3 new keepers this off season! 😅

Joao Virginia (three appearances)

Rating: 1/10

Joao Virginia started the season as the Reading no.1 (Image: Eddie Greville)

A bizarre signing to say the least, the Portuguese was brought in on loan from Everton for the season having played no senior football.

Even though he looked somewhat shaky in the pre-season games he featured in, he was thrown into the Reading first team on the opening day and conceded three goals in the defeat by Sheffield Wednesday.

A shocker the following weekend at Hull City saw him dropped from the squad and although he returned for one final chance in the League Cup game at Wolves in September he again cost the side a goal and was subsequently sent back early to Everton in January.

It remains to be seen whether he will go on to be a top quality goalkeeper but this simply was a case of wrong place, wrong time for Virginia who will go down as one of Royals' worst ever signings.

See I have no issue with this feedback, in fact it’s an opportunity for the kid to grow. He got thrown in the deep end and sunk - it’s not to say he isn’t talented but he has learnt and learnt early that if you don’t perform, you don’t play. 

“If” he has learnt from this and is pushing himself even harder than before, he will have developed more mentally than we could have imagined.

22 hours ago, Btay said:

See I have no issue with this feedback, in fact it’s an opportunity for the kid to grow. He got thrown in the deep end and sunk - it’s not to say he isn’t talented but he has learnt and learnt early that if you don’t perform, you don’t play. 

“If” he has learnt from this and is pushing himself even harder than before, he will have developed more mentally than we could have imagined.

I dont disagree with you completely but its easy to break a kid at that age and in that position. You only have to look at the older keepers like DDG, Karius, Mignolet, Hart, Cudicini and even Pickford who lose their edge and mistakes become a regular occurance. 

There is no doubt that it would have been the lowest point of his short career so far and if he does come back from it and become a top keeper he will have shown a hell of a lot of bottle.

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

I dont disagree with you completely but its easy to break a kid at that age and in that position. You only have to look at the older keepers like DDG, Karius, Mignolet, Hart, Cudicini and even Pickford who lose their edge and mistakes become a regular occurance. 

There is no doubt that it would have been the lowest point of his short career so far and if he does come back from it and become a top keeper he will have shown a hell of a lot of bottle.

Completely agree - whilst some where taking the piss for us having 2 keepers as subs from the restart, I actually think Ancelotti has looked after Virginia and it would have boosted his confidence and belief that he belongs at this level. Great man management in my opinion.

35 minutes ago, StevO said:

Or maybe he’s the next one in the long line of young keepers we’ve bought over the years who haven’t made it. 

Perhaps.

I think it’s the hardest position to make a break through as youngster in all honesty.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I thought he made some really good saves in the game and he certainly didn't look fazed by the occasion.

I don't know when the other keepers are due back but even if this is his only full game, he has certainly put himself in the shop window for a loan deal again.

1 minute ago, Tonsta said:

Personally i would like to see him left in for while, Pickford is out, and we know what Olsen can do, so lets have a good look at the kid.

You never know he might save us a lot of money, and he did well, lets see if it was a one of or not.

I don’t think we’re going to get a choice 😕 

He needs a stretch of playing. While he made two great saves, he also came out to punch the ball and missed - the second time in as many games. He's going to make mistakes, but overall his performance indicates real potential. Whether intentionally or not, I would like to see him between the posts for a few games.

• 4 months later...