IGNORED

Fikayo Tomori

Absolutely need 4 senior CBs. Someone is always hurt, in our case usually Mina, but for instance right now Holgate is facing a few weeks out. Get Gibson and Branthwaite on loan in the Championship and if Tomori provides cover on the bench that is Chelsea's problem not ours. Plus with the way Keane runs hot and cold Tomori has a real shot to play, just like Zouma. 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

But he's going out on loan to play. I'd be surprised if he gets much game time here, so I don't know what Chelsea or Tomori are thinking.

It's make sense for us, but not them IMO.

Yeh definitely, it would be silly business by them unless of course he ends up being that good that he does become a starting CB. Then it will be win-win.

As someone has said before, we have to face that Mina isn't going to stay fit all season and Holgate is likely to be out early doors. There will be game time for either one of our young lads or for someone on loan however between the three of them (Mina, Holgate and Keane) they should see the lionshare of game time so it will only be scraps. It comes down to whether you believe playing regularly on loan is better than playing occasionally for the first team but training with them every day.

Speaking of Holgate has anyone seen an update on him yet?

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Honestly, I’d love to test Branthwaite. Worst case is he goes on loan January. 

Personally I would be less keen to do this. If the window shuts and we have 2 injured CBs, Keane and two young lads then all the hard work we have done in the window to strengthen midfield could be undone.

I like the look of Branthwaite and Gibson and I hope they go on to do well here but its inevitable they will make mistakes and cost us goals simply due to inexperience. Personally I would rather they do that somewhere else and get a full season of mens football under their belts. 

There is no right or wrong in this though, they could flourish in the first team or not play enough on loan. Its why Brands gets paid the big bucks! 

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Tomori would be good if we had an option to buy, which i doubt will happen. They now have 5 cbs (6 if you include Azpilicueta) although Silva will only play a season or two at most - which may make Chelsea reluctant to lose Tomori on a permanent deal. 

This!

If he comes and he’s good, we have to buy him. We can’t have the situation where Zouma went back and we were short again. 

Read this comment on a site and couldn't really agree more:

Needs more playing time and not another loan. Great on the ball and makes incisive passes into midfield and the wingers checking in. Also gets in front of players when running onto a ball and shields it well (away vs Ajax for example)/ Would form an outstanding partnership with Thiago Silva when Lampard eventually goes through his rotation of center backs throughout the season to find the best pairing with Silva.

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I really don't get the thinking behind this.

Unless we're selling Mina, which seems very unlikely.

I see it as Keane, Mina, Holgate and Tomori being our 4 cbs.

I would prefer Tomori be a bit part player here and Gibson/Branthwaite be playing every week at Championship level for a year. In an odd way, this signing gives Gibson/Branthwaite more opportunities long term. Chances of us signing Tomori long-term are slim but maybe we don’t actually need him beyond this season as one of our youngsters could come back ‘ready’ next season. Could prove a smart move.

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

I would prefer Tomori be a bit part player here and Gibson/Branthwaite be playing every week at Championship level for a year. In an odd way, this signing gives Gibson/Branthwaite more opportunities long term. Chances of us signing Tomori long-term are slim but maybe we don’t actually need him beyond this season as one of our youngsters could come back ‘ready’ next season. Could prove a smart move.

I'm slowly coming around to this one. Mina hasn't exactly shown to be the most fit and Tomori has more experience in the fist team than Gibson/Branthwaite. I'd rather them go out and get more consistent time playing. 

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

Like I said, it makes sense on our part but not for Tomori or Chelsea.

4 hours ago, c1982 said:

More or less this is exactly what happened with Zouma and Holgate.