IGNORED

Carlo Ancelotti

Not sure what the answer is but I'm certainly not advocating for Carlo to go. Christ - he's the best calibre manager we have ever had in my time as an Everton supporter since Howard.

What is the alternate plan now? We've gone young up and coming (Bobby, Marco), we've gone Euro experienced (Carlo) and we've tried solid results but unattractive (Sam)....is it back to solid prem experience (Dyches, Rafas....)??

We have to let Carlo see out his contract and spend time at the club getting right players in and wrong players out.

Moyes was good but that was probably more of a convenient lucky marriage for him and club at the time (there were very good years but also very dark years).

Part of our problem is Brands I think - he has the PSV approach in his DNA (buy young and cheap, sell higher if any good as a gamble) - but isn't this just Southampton? Carlo wants ready now quality players and the chairman has to likely keep the peace.

30 minutes ago, Cisk said:

Not sure what the answer is but I'm certainly not advocating for Carlo to go. Christ - he's the best calibre manager we have ever had in my time as an Everton supporter since Howard.

What is the alternate plan now? We've gone young up and coming (Bobby, Marco), we've gone Euro experienced (Carlo) and we've tried solid results but unattractive (Sam)....is it back to solid prem experience (Dyches, Rafas....)??

We have to let Carlo see out his contract and spend time at the club getting right players in and wrong players out.

Moyes was good but that was probably more of a convenient lucky marriage for him and club at the time (there were very good years but also very dark years).

Part of our problem is Brands I think - he has the PSV approach in his DNA (buy young and cheap, sell higher if any good as a gamble) - but isn't this just Southampton? Carlo wants ready now quality players and the chairman has to likely keep the peace.

We just need to find a manager that has done what we need. Find an average team and turn them into contenders, with an identity to go with it. 

Martinez had an identity but had never proven that he could do what we need. He was a gamble worth taking.

Koeman had no identity but he had a mixed European pedigree away from Holland. I thought he was a little flattered at Southampton and that was how it turned out to he. Flattered or not, he more or less kept them at the same level. We signed him before we could find out whether he could take them up a notch or not. 

Silva had no identity and no pedigree at this level. 

Ancellotti has had an identity and he has pedigree but not for a challenge like this. We haven't seen that identity at Everton which is unusual as even with bad players, an identity usually comes through. 

I'm not saying sack Carlo, but the next man up to bat has to have experience of turning outsiders into contenders. Pochetino will do ;)

I also dont agree about Brands. He hasnt really bought young and cheap players and so its a completely redundant point. If anything I think Brands should and has to be trusted more. He has been there and done it, albeit at an easier level, but the players he has identified since Carlo arrived (Godfrey and Doucoure) were ideal. 

The biggest problem I had this season with Ancelotti and Brand’s was before the January transfer window opened, our goals were drying up and it was costing us games and points, and it was obvious we needed another striker on board with a proven goal scoring record, instead we got King who couldn’t get into a championship team, that lack of ambition and trying to do it on the cheap imo cost us dearly. 

30 minutes ago, Palfy said:

The biggest problem I had this season with Ancelotti and Brand’s was before the January transfer window opened, our goals were drying up and it was costing us games and points, and it was obvious we needed another striker on board with a proven goal scoring record, instead we got King who couldn’t get into a championship team, that lack of ambition and trying to do it on the cheap imo cost us dearly. 

Who could we have got, who would actually compete with /  compliment DCL?

5 hours ago, London Blue said:

Who could we have got, who would actually compete with /  compliment DCL?

Firstly I’m saying that we needed to get someone, it was clear as day that we never had an option to replace an injured or off the boil DCL or Richarlison, once the goals dried up we were going backwards. Why you are asking me who they should have got is beyond me, I’m not the one paid millions a year to find the right person, what are we paying Ancelotti and Brands to do if not to bring the right players in when something needs fixing, they new there was a problem hence the arrival of King, but I believe they underestimated the impact on the team if DCL and Richarlison went through prolonged patches of inconsistency which they did, and the biggest problem they went through it at the same time. 
For me they didn’t do there homework in that area they gambled and the gamble didn’t pay off, when you don’t have goals in the team you don’t win games it’s as simple as that, and they never properly addressed that, King wasn’t the answer they didn’t even play him when the others were injured or clearly not performing. So that’s why I say my biggest problem this season was that we didn’t address our problem properly in January and we paid the price, we were crying out for someone who could come into the team upfront and score goals and we didn’t have it. 

14 hours ago, Palfy said:

Whilst I do agree with the general point, would it have mattered? The signing of King was completely pointless because he was given next to no time on the pitch. He was a backup to Dom or Richarlison getting injured and nothing more than that and was treated accordingly.

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Whilst I do agree with the general point, would it have mattered? The signing of King was completely pointless because he was given next to no time on the pitch. He was a backup to Dom or Richarlison getting injured and nothing more than that and was treated accordingly.

But when Dom was injured they never played him, which to me proved they realised that they got the wrong man in as cover and the cheap gamble never paid off.

We've needed a solid back up for DCL and Richarlison for over a year, and that became more urgent with sending Kean and Tosun out on loan, I’ll be honest nothing will convince me that they didn’t fuck up by not getting the correct cover in, I genuinely believe that was there biggest mistake of the season and ultimately cost us 5-6 positions in the league, like I said when you’re strikers get injured or go off the boil you need a worthy backup, without goals you don’t win games. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

But when Dom was injured they never played him, which to me proved they realised that they got the wrong man in as cover and the cheap gamble never paid off.

We've needed a solid back up for DCL and Richarlison for over a year, and that became more urgent with sending Kean and Tosun out on loan, I’ll be honest nothing will convince me that they didn’t fuck up by not getting the correct cover in, I genuinely believe that was there biggest mistake of the season and ultimately cost us 5-6 positions in the league, like I said when you’re strikers get injured or go off the boil you need a worthy backup, without goals you don’t win games. 

I’m more concerned how we created nothing for the strikers on the pitch, than having more strikers. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I’m more concerned how we created nothing for the strikers on the pitch, than having more strikers. 

This is my concern. When they have had chances, they generally score them. 

The biggest problem is that we aren’t a creative team. We move the ball to slow, and when we do... it’s backwards.

One fast through ball against city, and DCL gets a good shot off on target. Then for the rest of the game, we don’t give him another sniff.

54 minutes ago, StevO said:

Who was the worthy back up? Because we did suffer injuries and we did have both not able to find the back of the net when they had opportunities, you don’t think that was an issue where as I do, you think it was the midfield not supplying them, I agree there was a bit of that in some games, but we had good chances in most games that weren’t dispatched or injuries to DCL or Richarlison without a viable backup, unless of course you consider James Iwobi and Gylfi as genuine replacements to play further up top which was what was happening.

I’ve got to be honest Steve I find it absolutely bizarre that anyone would defend the fact we didn’t have a decent option from the bench to play up front, I would go as far to say that is basics in any team in any league, all the team’s that finished above us had more than two strikers that have the ability to come on and get a goal, some have four or five, we should have addressed our lack of strikers. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Most of those games werent long after he came on loan and didnt look up to speed. The only two games in the run-in that Dom was injured, King was also injured for one of them. The other was against Spurs when we went with James and Richie. 

I do think letting Kean go was a big mistake but at the same time I don't genuinely believe he would have played much either.

9 minutes ago, Shukes said:

This is my concern. When they have had chances, they generally score them. 

The biggest problem is that we aren’t a creative team. We move the ball to slow, and when we do... it’s backwards.

One fast through ball against city, and DCL gets a good shot off on target. Then for the rest of the game, we don’t give him another sniff.

This.

We put City under pressure by hitting it behind City, turning them around and roughing them up. Its the only thing those two do well as a pair. Yet we decided play in front if City and into their traps, the 2nd Aguero goal being the casing point.

6 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Who was the worthy back up? Because we did suffer injuries and we did have both not able to find the back of the net when they had opportunities, you don’t think that was an issue where as I do, you think it was the midfield not supplying them, I agree there was a bit of that in some games, but we had good chances in most games that weren’t dispatched or injuries to DCL or Richarlison without a viable backup, unless of course you consider James Iwobi and Gylfi as genuine replacements to play further up top which was what was happening.

I’ve got to be honest Steve I find it absolutely bizarre that anyone would defend the fact we didn’t have a decent option from the bench to play up front, I would go as far to say that is basics in any team in any league, all the team’s that finished above us had more than two strikers that have the ability to come on and get a goal, some have four or five, we should have addressed our lack of strikers. 

Arsenal, Leeds, Leicester, West Ham & Spurs don't.

55 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Most of those games werent long after he came on loan and didnt look up to speed. The only two games in the run-in that Dom was injured, King was also injured for one of them. The other was against Spurs when we went with James and Richie. 

I do think letting Kean go was a big mistake but at the same time I don't genuinely believe he would have played much either.

This.

We put City under pressure by hitting it behind City, turning them around and roughing them up. Its the only thing those two do well as a pair. Yet we decided play in front if City and into their traps, the 2nd Aguero goal being the casing point.

I’m not saying letting Kean go was a big mistake, the mistake was not replacing him or Tosun, you can’t expect to go through a season with one striker and makeshift strikers, if we don’t get another striker in next season then we will have the same issues.  

15 hours ago, London Blue said:

Ideally yes, but if there is nobody available who we want and can afford then we have to manage with what we have. 

One of our major failings has been panic buying, or choosing the wrong player because nobody else was available, instead of waiting and seeing the bigger picture.

Who do you class as a panic buy?

I can't think of anyone that came in last minute because we hadn't done the research, it is just more of a case that it takes time for the deals to go through as there is a knock-on effect, a bit like a chain in a house purchase.

We should have half a dozen players on a shortlist that are expected to be available. There is no excuse for not getting a player in three windows in a row.

18 hours ago, Palfy said:

I’m not saying letting Kean go was a big mistake, the mistake was not replacing him or Tosun, you can’t expect to go through a season with one striker and makeshift strikers, if we don’t get another striker in next season then we will have the same issues.  

I do agree with that. I don't believe that was the cause of our failures this season but it is a position that needs more competition. We were lucky that we didn't have too many injuries up front.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Who do you class as a panic buy?

I can't think of anyone that came in last minute because we hadn't done the research, it is just more of a case that it takes time for the deals to go through as there is a knock-on effect, a bit like a chain in a house purchase.

We should have half a dozen players on a shortlist that are expected to be available. There is no excuse for not getting a player in three windows in a row.

I do agree with that. I don't believe that was the cause of our failures this season but it is a position that needs more competition. We were lucky that we didn't have too many injuries up front.

Tosun, Niasse to name two.

Problems are:

1) We have such a dearth of mediocre players that we have to ship those out before we can buy. 

2) Carlo has only had 1 Summer window and 2 winter windows, not enough to address all our squad problems.

3) We needed to boost midfield that was Carlo's priority and our midfield is much better, but not complete.

With some players leaving and other contracts ending we have room to manoeuvre now in the Transfer market. We desperately need a creative midfielder, and left and right wingers with pace to stretch opponents and offer a genuine attacking threat. Not to mention a right back.

We need a striker to compliment and offer competition to DCL so he can be rotated when he needs a rest or is out of form, same goes for Richy.

We are talking 5 players minimum probably 6/7, we could not of done that in the windows we had already.

On 23/05/2021 at 18:31, MC11 said:

I never post on this page but after today’s result and our league position I’d be very surprised if Carlo Ancelotti doesn’t consider his position. Yes he has to shoulder some blame but by god the squad he has is absolutely terrible. 

Will he really want to take this project on another season? 

I agree.  Following  the Wolves game Ancelotti was interviewed on You tube.  He came across as totally disinterested and miserable. When he thought it was over but there was another question, you could see the irritation on his face. I think he may make the decision to go in the summer.

21 minutes ago, johnh said:

I agree.  Following  the Wolves game Ancelotti was interviewed on You tube.  He came across as totally disinterested and miserable. When he thought it was over but there was another question, you could see the irritation on his face. I think he may make the decision to go in the summer.

He always looks like that!

11 hours ago, StevO said:

I’d have liked us to have more strikers, for me you need four strikers to have real options. Of course more would be nice. But we’ve had one player capable of playing out wide for months, that’s Iwobi and he’s awful. The lack of creative options became even more apparent when we were playing Coleman or Digne on the wings at times. We created nothing. We could have had Ronaldo up front and we still wouldn’t have got a decent ball in the box. We created so little chances for the last few months, that’s the biggest problem for me. 

I find it bizarre that anyone wouldn’t be more concerned about our lack of creativity. But we’re all different. 

We’ve spent millions upon millions on midfield creative players and very small amount on strikers, but if you think we lack creativity which I do as well shouldn’t you looking at bringing Brands to task for his buys. 

On 24/05/2021 at 15:09, pete0 said:

Last 12 games Richarlison started everyone and got a single goal and one assist. King should have been given more of a chance. 

He should have been that’s what he was brought in for, to cover for injuries and pick up the slack from underperforming strikers, both those scenarios happened and he never got a look in, that tells me he was a Brands selection that Ancelotti didn’t have a clue who he was but trusted Brands knowledge, after all he trusted Brands on Doucoure who he never new and that went well. But this time King turns up and I believe Ancelotti didn’t like what he saw. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

We’ve spent millions upon millions on midfield creative players and very small amount on strikers, but if you think we lack creativity which I do as well shouldn’t you looking at bringing Brands to task for his buys. 

Who are all of these creative midfielders we brought in?
I believe, as I’ve said many times, that people underestimate the mess that Brands inherited and three years isn’t enough time to get everything right. City didn’t do it in three years, it took Klopp plenty of time at Liverpool too. 
I don’t think Brands has been perfect, but I don’t think many would have done much better in that time with what we had.