IGNORED

Carlo Ancelotti

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Being linked to Real Madrid as Zidane is close to a sure bet to be gone.  Looking at this squad I’m not sure what would keep him here.  We’ll see what happens

Allegri has held talks with them this week, it'll be him. I think they're just waiting for the end of the season to announce it.

The second favourite is Raul, who would have been a mistake IMO.

Ancelotti’s verdict — a combination of blunt honesty and lost-in-translation.

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/2146106/ancelotti-delivers-strong-verdict-on-evertons-bad-blades-display

“We played really badly....  It was our worst performance of the season.”

But what to make of this comment?  “We are more comfortable when we play direct, but that is not the best style of play.”  Huh?

And then, more on style of play: “For next season, we are going to change.”

Change style of play with these players?

I think he was being honest, if still somewhat vague.  But I don’t really know what he means.  Except for the points about “really badly” and “worst.”

Can he change it I fucking hope so, he knows what he wants he knows what is required.

If he has the funds available to get 3 or 4 players in the summer transfer they will all have to be quality and be able to adapt quickly to the PL, because there are at least 4 in the team that I would not want to have to see wearing the shirt again. 
He needs to get us a striker with pure ability in all area's in and around the box, a midfielder who can run and turn at speed with the ball at his feet, and a right winger who has  proven experience in that role, and right back even if it’s just as a back up until he’s ready to take over from Coleman. 
At this moment in time I’m happy with Ancelotti I’m pissed off with the squad we have after years of spending big accumulated a bunch of below average players, you can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear even if you’re Ancelotti, what I would say is I hope Brands keeps away from Barcelona rejects, even if he believes he has a special relationship with Barca there’s normally a good reason when a player doesn’t make the squad for the team he’s at THEIR NOT FUCKING GOOD ENOUGH. 

4 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

And then, more on style of play: “For next season, we are going to change.”

Change style of play with these players?

No, it'll be with different players.

“We have to try to win the two games and see if we are in Europe or not. If we are, we will build a squad to be in Europe.

“If we're not, we'll build a squad to be better in the Premier League.

I hope Carlo stays and is given the players he wants. I do feel he can turn this around. 

But. His first full season and two transfer windows, has been a failure for me. I am happy with a few of the players he has brought in, but I don't feel the team has progressed at all. 
We had an amazing start to the season that really set us up. Since then we have played like a bottom half team. 

This may be unpopular, but I don’t feel like he has come in and changed much at all. Yes there is work behind the scenes, but this is what backroom staff are for isn’t it?

Do we look at any players and feel he is getting the best out of them?

Richarlison? Gomes? Siggurdson? Holgate? Rodriguez? If anything a few seem to have regressed. 

I have ultimate respect for him and do feel he can do a job for us. But if I have to judge him on this season alone..... I simply feel nothing has changed from any other recent manager.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

You're not wrong, take the first four games out and we average 1.375 points per game, over 38 games that'd give 52 points and definite bottom half. We also have a -4 GD in that period.

I feel a biit personally responsible because for the first four games I was in hospital, when I came home it all started to go wrong. I'll get myself readmitted for a longer stretch in August if it helps.:unsure:

Don’t do that mate.

Were Evertonians, we live for this 😉

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

You're not wrong, take the first four games out and we average 1.375 points per game, over 38 games that'd give 52 points and definite bottom half. We also have a -4 GD in that period.

I feel a biit personally responsible because for the first four games I was in hospital, when I came home it all started to go wrong. I'll get myself readmitted for a longer stretch in August if it helps.:unsure:

There’s no need to get yourself readmitted mate we love you to much to want to see that happen, but a severe telling off and warning wouldn’t go amiss😉

Totally agree with you all that he needs time. But this season has been anything but a success.

Two clean sheets at home all season is Astonishingly bad. 
The football has rivalled Sams at times. 

I completely agree he needs more time. But I also refuse to give him a free pass because of his name. I honestly cannot see his stamp on our team at all at the moment. 
A huge summer is coming up. 

15 hours ago, StevO said:

I agree he needs time. Constantly changing managers hasn’t done anything but harm them club. Imagine we fire him, what does that say to future managers who we might want? 
One thing the club needs is stability. With the owner, financial staff, director of football and manager. 

He does need more time, but there does come a point. I also don't think it will make a difference to future managers as they all know the score these days.

The hope that I am clinging on to is how we came out firing at the beginning of this season. We were terrible at the end of last season, our preseason form was pretty shit as well but in that first game we came out and played really well. The football was as good as I can remember for a long time. That performance was with almost all of the starting 11 that played at the weekend which shows just how far we have fallen in that time.

If I am honest though, if it wasn't for that hope based on last summer, I would happily see him leave. It is a horrible thought though, one of the most decorated managers of all time with one of the most talented attacking midfielders in the game still can't change the rut this club is in at the moment.

Just now, Btay said:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/18/carlo-ancelotti-instructs-any-unhappy-everton-players-to-leave-club

“This is good publicity for me to be linked with Real Madrid but it is not true. I am really happy to stay here. We have difficulties, of course, but I feel good at Everton and my target is to make Everton better and better every year.”

He’s committed and he’s told any player that isn’t committed to pretty much fuck off.

He read my post, clearly.

17 hours ago, Newty82 said:

I think its important to say that Ancelotti is not beyond scrutiny. Regardless of his stature, he still needs to be held accountable for his part in things. No doubt about it.

However, I also think he knows that. And he owns it, I like that about him. He doesn't have the ego of managers with his record. He seems very humble, likable and a good all round human being. Clearly a good coach. 

Koeman was a knob who thought he was too big for the club. Silva was just out of his depth after some mad years we'd had here.

Ancelotti. Who knows. But I want him to have a big chance, more of a chance than we've given anyone else in recent years. He sounds like he wants to give it a right good go. Like he wants to build something here. I dunno, I've not been the best judge of things in the past.

I remember early in the season when we had a belting start saying to my pals that it wouldn't last as we don't have the strength in depth behind that initial 11. As soon as injuries etc kick in, we'd be much weaker. To be fair, the injuries then came quick and fast, and kept coming and we couldn't build up any momentum. So, for me, strength in depth is a must. Carlo might be our only hope of attracting quality strength, rather than another load of expensive misfits.

But, at the same time, we've got to show much much more on the pitch. Far too many of these performances in the last 5-6 month have been unforgivable.

It's a tough one. We've been going round in circles for about 5 or 6 years. Most of us writing the exact same buzzwords year after year. It has to be allowed to settle at some point. Swapping managers every 18months is maybe the main issue?

Pretty much agree with all this. 

I think he has given ALL the current (the core 15) players a very fair crack at the whip to prove themselves that they have the right attitude, desire, work ethic. He has stuck by them - some maybe more that other managers might have allowed. A number of players have let themselves down this season. Those for the cull have only themselves to blame. 

We are still seeing the rotten culture around the place - some over paid players, who are never going to get higher up the footballing ladder or find an equal or better deal elsewhere, and find themselves in a comfort zone, and that attitude spreads. Ancelotti needs to call these players out now we have a summer transfer to shift out and find to replacement -they have made it easy for him to go to the board and say a lot of the current crop will never get us further up the table.

Three or four solid proven players for the starting 11, and I would like to see us scouring the championship, and bring some young hungry players to the club. I would rather see some immerging hungry talent on the bench rather than the likes of Bernard, Gomes and Delph.

Its been a weird old season (and a half) as well, so if they get three or four more 'Ancelotti' players in, then the heart of this team will be his then. At the moment, he only as his own mark on two or three players. If we can have a squad with at least 6 of 'his' players in, along with a season with some fans in the stadiums and a bit of normality to life - I think then we can properly judge what his appointment brings to the club.

Missing Europe may be a blessing, as we have not played great and this squad achieving European qualification would have papered over some  big cracks. 

Big season for Ancelotti and Everton coming up. 

in Carlo i still trust, we have some real shit players, let's get rid of them first before we throw the stones at Carlo.  He's been hamstrung by poor investment and an ok DOF.  Hopefully he directs Brands more on the players he wants and we get his guys that are willing to play the style he wants and fight for matches that matter.

8 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

in Carlo i still trust, we have some real shit players, let's get rid of them first before we throw the stones at Carlo.  He's been hamstrung by poor investment and an ok DOF.  Hopefully he directs Brands more on the players he wants and we get his guys that are willing to play the style he wants and fight for matches that matter.

Arguably the two best players this season have been the two Brands identified (Doucoure and Godfrey).

Interesting comments from Carlo today about letting any player who isn't happy at the club to leave in the summer.

I don't know what prompted the comment and whether he was led their by a journalist or whether he was making his feelings known about certain members of the current squad. They don't exactly look like a happy bunch and I wonder if there are a few rotten apples in the group who want to move on.

Just now, Bailey said:

Arguably the two best players this season have been the two Brands identified (Doucoure and Godfrey).

And the worst have been (iwobi Gomes digne bernard Mina delph gbamin) with gbamin and delph barely playing, both had large injury records before we signed them.  2 for and 6 against.  Shit that.

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

And the worst have been (iwobi Gomes digne bernard Mina delph gbamin) with gbamin and delph barely playing, both had large injury records before we signed them.  2 for and 6 against.  Shit that.

I was referring to the signings made since Ancellotti was on board.

Either way, going into this again seems pointless but nevertheless:

Iwobi scored 3 and created 7 goals in the season before he joined us, playing 35 games in the league for an Arsenal side that finished 5th and 11 times scoring and creating 2 in a Europa League campaign that ended in the loss in the final. His problems have been since he joined Everton for which he has never got going. I don't think it was a coincidence that his best form came when he was played regularly.

Gomes was one of our players of the season during his loan and there was no way he wasn't going to be signed. There wouldn't have been a lot of people that didn't want him here.

Digne has been one of our standout performers since he joined. Including him in this list is laughable.

Bernard has never really caught fire, but he was a low risk signing anyway. The risk with him would be whether he would suit the league and it hasn't worked.

Mina has arguably been our most important centre back this season. If we are going to get the best out of Godfrey, he will need to be paired more with Mina than he will with Keane or Godfrey. Mina would be my first CB on the teamsheet.

Delph was a strange one. It should be noted that he doesn't fit the profile of a Brands signing and therefore it wouldn't surprise me if there was someone else driving the purchase.

Gbamin's record was as follows: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jean-philippe-gbamin/verletzungen/spieler/182894. Allan had a comparable recent injury record and James had a worse injury record than Gbamin when they signed. As I understand it, the injuries sustained have nothing to do with any pre-existing condition and if you think they did then you should probably direct your frustration at the medical staff, who you appear to be suggesting are incompetent.