IGNORED

Crystal Palace (Home) Saturday February 8th

markjazzbassist

The goal from Richarlison and the save from Pickford came at the perfect time for us.  We were up against it at the time and if we conceded straight away, I'm not sure how we would have coped. 

A very average performance for most of the game where we created few chances until the game opened up. The Sidibe sub was a terrible decision again too, even if he got a bit better in the second half, but going to 5 was much better than sticking with 442 and being overrun. Something Ferguson found out early at Manchester Utd with less resources available to him. 

We were supposed to win that and we did, which in itself is an improvement on Silva. Big games to come and properly see where we are.

53 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Get Kean on for DCL we need fresh legs upfront to make use of the space they are starting to leave when they are in possession. 

51 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think it's about time for this too. DCL not really that involved today, just a little hesitant to make the swap because DCL is better at chasing the loose ends.

DCL said in his interview that he knew it wasn't his best game, yet he got a goal anyways (knew he shoulda had a second, as well). It seems he's reached that level of balance and maturity in his game where he can still produce for the team regardless of his form. Happy for him and Richy right now. 

Take the 3 points.... barring the individual brilliance of a couple of players like Richarlison, Bernard and hard work of DCL we are far from a team who can dominate a poor side for 90 

Pickford as I said has a problem with low left side shots.  His lack of command nearly cost us a second. Smartly spread himself to prevent another. 

Sidebe looked half asleep. Gylfi.... last s3ason. 

Could have been so much different that, we were very much second best at the start of the second half and scored through Richarlison completely against the run of play. It took a massive save from Pickford to keep it at 2-1 too as we did our best to shoot ourselves in the foot. 

I thought for the first 45 minutes we were very dominant and hardly gave Palace a sniff, with them playing three through the middle we were always going to have fun down the wings and it was no surprise to see a cross from the right flank be met by Bernard on the left. A few moments later DCL was inches from scoring to double the lead but just couldn't get there.

As I've already mentioned, at the start of the second half we were woeful. So scrappy with our ball movement and playing at such a jittery tempo, we allowed them right back into it and conceded through a very soft goal - Mina not getting tight enough and Jordan allowing what was a weak shot to slip through his legs (I'll have to see the goal again to see if it was deflected as I'm stunned that such a tame shot was able to find the back of the net). 

Richarlison was fantastic today though and pulled us back into the game, Sidibe was totally unmarked on the right wing but to his credit Charlie went all the way. DCL then finishing the job with a tap-in late in the day and no less than he deserved after another solid graft. 

Disappointed to see Walcott leave the game so early, so fingers crossed his (knee?) injury isn't too serious. Coming away from the game I'm hearing that we're right behind the Top 4 now which is astounding considering where we were at under Marco Silva - Ancelotti is a God 🙌

image.png.33066020afd7e9ebafbfabc27077f71b.png

Heart skipped a beat when DCL blazed over in the final few minutes too, I had Bernard to score first and us to win 3-1, never wanted a shot to both go into the back of the net and about twenty feet over the bar in all my life.

Edit: Just seen Benteke's goal, it's really poor from Pickford to be honest and he won't want to see it back. Just doesn't get his feet and hands sorted quick enough and in the end just let's the ball squeeze under him, would have been better just saving with his feet although you'd expect a Premier League goalkeeper to scoop that up (with hands) for fun. 

Carlo after the game said if I had to choose from a win or play well I’ll take the win. All day for that. We had a really poor twenty minutes where we would have folded under silva. The job Carlo is doing in unreal considering the midfield he has got to work with. I’ve got to say Keane was awful today. He needs to be sold in summer 

3 hours ago, nutmegwolf203 said:

DCL said in his interview that he knew it wasn't his best game, yet he got a goal anyways (knew he shoulda had a second, as well). It seems he's reached that level of balance and maturity in his game where he can still produce for the team regardless of his form. Happy for him and Richy right now. 

I didn't think he was much cop all game but he was milking Cahill for most of it. Big difference now is that he is in those positions to score a lot more with a partner and it shows! 

37 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

gladly admit i wanted cahill in the summer as a cheap backup.  he was run ragged by our forwards today and looked like an amateur. i'm so glad i don't have a job at the club.

I'm glad you don't have a job at the club too Mark.  Probably playing Country & Western over the tannoy all afternoon!😁