IGNORED

Corona Virus

Palfy

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Guys.

I have spent the last 12 days isolated at home with Anna as both of us tested positive for Cibd19. 

I don’t usually post on things like this, as I don't like to get into conversations that people have such strong views on. But I think I have a duty to let people know my own experiences.... then they can make up their own minds.

the last two weeks have been absolute hell.  I recently started a kitchen fitting company and have since not worked a day. Business has stopped as people needed their work completed and had to go elsewhere. The financial difficulties have been terrible. 

But these have really paled into insignificance compared to what we have had to deal with at home.

At first the illness started of like any bad cold (I won’t say Flu, as I have never suffered from flu and have no idea), cold sweats, aching muscles and joints. This turned into a period couch. Instead of having a persistent couch, I had a couple of couching dots per 24 hours. These couching fits ended with me lying on the floor gasping for breath, and honestly thinking I was going to die. My son standing next to me crying his eyes out while Anna tries her best to get me breathing again (thank god for Anna). 
Since then I have found myself tiring to the point of drop, from just a trip to the toilet. 

I have always presumed I am fit for my age. Can outrun most twenty year olds still, can lift weights that surprise body builders, can bike on a mountain bike from Telford to Barmouth. But I have found that at my age, that strength and fitness is not enough to keep me on my feet when faced with this illness. 
I have broken many bones, and I can deal with any of them. It’s pain, it goes away. Training can fix any of them. But this is something that can’t be fixed, it can’t be helped, and no matter how fit or strong you are.... it doesn’t seem to care.

For the love of all, look after yourselves and those around you. This virus is not just a flu.

Very sorry to hear mate and pleased you're over the worst. I know what it feels like to gasp for air like that and it's truly terrifying, give Anna our best, hope she gets fit soon.

Any idea how you caught it?

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Very sorry to hear mate and pleased you're over the worst. I know what it feels like to gasp for air like that and it's truly terrifying, give Anna our best, hope she gets fit soon.

Any idea how you caught it?

No comparison mate, mine is just a reality check that's all. 

Thank you, will pass it on to Anna. no idea how as we were pretty careful, but she does work for the NHS so could be she picked it up from there.

3 minutes ago, Shukes said:

No comparison mate, mine is just a reality check that's all. 

Thank you, will pass it on to Anna. no idea how as we were pretty careful, but she does work for the NHS so could be she picked it up from there.

Wasn't actually talking about the cancer Shukes, had a lot of shit from it over the years but never really gasping for breath like that, my experience of that was in 1993 when I had pneumonia. Horrific. I remember it took me about half an hour to get the strength/breath to lift myself out of the bath on one occasion so I feel you toilet visit exhaustion.

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Wasn't actually talking about the cancer Shukes, had a lot of shit from it over the years but never really gasping for breath like that, my experience of that was in 1993 when I had pneumonia. Horrific. I remember it took me about half an hour to get the strength/breath to lift myself out of the bath on one occasion so I feel you toilet visit exhaustion.

Scariest part of it for me. no pain, just pure panick. and then looking up to see an 8 year old kid so upset...heart-breaking mate.

5 hours ago, Shukes said:

Guys.

I have spent the last 12 days isolated at home with Anna as both of us tested positive for Cibd19. 

I don’t usually post on things like this, as I don't like to get into conversations that people have such strong views on. But I think I have a duty to let people know my own experiences.... then they can make up their own minds.

the last two weeks have been absolute hell.  I recently started a kitchen fitting company and have since not worked a day. Business has stopped as people needed their work completed and had to go elsewhere. The financial difficulties have been terrible. 

But these have really paled into insignificance compared to what we have had to deal with at home.

At first the illness started of like any bad cold (I won’t say Flu, as I have never suffered from flu and have no idea), cold sweats, aching muscles and joints. This turned into a period couch. Instead of having a persistent couch, I had a couple of couching dots per 24 hours. These couching fits ended with me lying on the floor gasping for breath, and honestly thinking I was going to die. My son standing next to me crying his eyes out while Anna tries her best to get me breathing again (thank god for Anna). 
Since then I have found myself tiring to the point of drop, from just a trip to the toilet. 

I have always presumed I am fit for my age. Can outrun most twenty year olds still, can lift weights that surprise body builders, can bike on a mountain bike from Telford to Barmouth. But I have found that at my age, that strength and fitness is not enough to keep me on my feet when faced with this illness. 
I have broken many bones, and I can deal with any of them. It’s pain, it goes away. Training can fix any of them. But this is something that can’t be fixed, it can’t be helped, and no matter how fit or strong you are.... it doesn’t seem to care.

For the love of all, look after yourselves and those around you. This virus is not just a flu.

Christ that’s a real shocker mate this thing is scary, yet there are still idiots who think it’s just a hoax. 
When yourself employed as you know Shukes there’s no safety net like people who are employed get the benefits of if you’re not earning your pretty much on your own, hope you get back on your feet as quick as possible mate and get your company back on track, feel for you mate.

On 12/01/2021 at 17:20, Shukes said:

Guys.

Bloody Nora mate, fingers crossed you get back to full strength. Scary scary times, get that vitamin D down your neck mate, that along with zinc is said to give your body a helping hand.

I've been taking vitamin D around 4000IU per day, my wife is due her vaccine on Monday as she is a nurse.  Hopefully once she had had it it may make it less likely for it to enter our house 

Sending all strength to you mate. 

not sure about the UK vaccine haf, but the US ones (Pfizer or Moderna) don't affect the transmission of the disease.  they just make it so you can't get it.  you can still be a carrier for it.

there is supposed to be a johnson and johnson one forthcoming that does affect the transmission, it hasn't passed muster yet

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

not sure about the UK vaccine haf, but the US ones (Pfizer or Moderna) don't affect the transmission of the disease.  they just make it so you can't get it.  you can still be a carrier for it.

there is supposed to be a johnson and johnson one forthcoming that does affect the transmission, it hasn't passed muster yet

No none of the vaccines we have affect transmission (as far as they know, tests are ongoing). 

The study results that came out today eveb suggested that you could even still transmit the virus if you have had it before too. Still a long way to go!

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/laurence-fox-criticised-after-flaunting-mask-exemption-badge-he-bought-online-12189639

Never heard of Laurence Fox but a quick look at his wiki shows he was an All Lives Matter pleb and tried to help raise funds for a new ukip style political party. Add to that he said Sihk soldiers were "forced diversity" in a ww1 film, and that the media weren't being racist towards Meghan Markle. 

42 minutes ago, pete0 said:

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/laurence-fox-criticised-after-flaunting-mask-exemption-badge-he-bought-online-12189639

Never heard of Laurence Fox but a quick look at his wiki shows he was an All Lives Matter pleb and tried to help raise funds for a new ukip style political party. Add to that he said Sihk soldiers were "forced diversity" in a ww1 film, and that the media weren't being racist towards Meghan Markle. 

Man's an A grade dick.

49 minutes ago, pete0 said:

He’s part of the Fox dynasty of actors, he’s had a silver spoon upbringing and has all the traits of a spoilt brat, as they would say in his circles or a fucking prick as they would say in mine. 

25 minutes ago, Palfy said:

He’s part of the Fox dynasty of actors, he’s had a silver spoon upbringing and has all the traits of a spoilt brat, as they would say in his circles or a fucking prick as they would say in mine. 

He's a piece of shit.  Privileged prick who despite a top level education and receiving nepotism from successful family members is a failure in all he's done.

Attention seeking gobshite who needs a good hiding. 

Hmmm...suspected I was "vulnerable" but just got a copy of a letter of advice from the Cancer Larygectomee Trust in which NHS England defines me as "extremely vulnerable" so I really should have been shielding for the duration. Unfortunately though my condition isn't on the official government list so it's down to patients to contact their cancer team or GP to get themselves added to the "shielded patient list". I just emailed my doc, hopefully this will get me an early vaccination.

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Hmmm...suspected I was "vulnerable" but just got a copy of a letter of advice from the Cancer Larygectomee Trust in which NHS England defines me as "extremely vulnerable" so I really should have been shielding for the duration. Unfortunately though my condition isn't on the official government list so it's down to patients to contact their cancer team or GP to get themselves added to the "shielded patient list". I just emailed my doc, hopefully this will get me an early vaccination.

I would have thought that was a given and you were already on the list, can’t believe you have to organise yourself to be placed on it, crazy!!

23 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Emailed my surgery asking about this and got stock "admin" reply, "...we kindly ask you to refrain from contacting the practice to enquire...we will contact you...all patients will be invited as per the government criteria order...".

Pissed me off because I didn't actually mention the vaccine at all, just wanted to know if my doctor (who is brilliant) agreed with the "extremely vulnerable" opinion so I sent back a snotty reply pointing this out, was obvious to me my GP hadn't seen the email and I'd had a clerical response rather than a medical one.

Text this morning (from my doctor!), "Thanks for the information from the Laryngectomy Trust. I agree with their position and will put the code of clinically vulnerable on your notes which will prioritize administering your vaccine. I will also ask our practice manager to run a search to see if there are any other laryngectomy patients at the practice and do the same for them. Let me know if there's anything else I can do."

Pisses me off big time when someone doesn't understand the importance of the role they do, clearly pissed off cos they had a load of emails to clear up.... They should be "educated" as to how their response could have put you at risk if you never had the perservence to challenge the response.

A few people in those administration roles are on power trips 

Shit. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55785787

Well this is worrying.  Also I see hanCock continues to be insufferable;

"We've vaccinated more people in just the last three days than France has in the entire history of this disease," Mr Hancock said.

Don’t really care what France has done to be honest, you deflective thundercunt. 

On 24/01/2021 at 09:58, Matt said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55785787

Well this is worrying.  Also I see hanCock continues to be insufferable;

"We've vaccinated more people in just the last three days than France has in the entire history of this disease," Mr Hancock said.

Don’t really care what France has done to be honest, you deflective thundercunt. 

Every attempt they get they try and compare us to mainland Europe post Brexit and its mind boggling. 

This isn't a competition. As one of our closest neighbours, if they aren't vaccinated quickly then we won't be "back to normal" until they do. The same applies to the rest of the world too. 

Whilst I am glad to see our vaccination rates increase quickly, I am concerned that there are a lot of other countries being left behind. 

8 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Every attempt they get they try and compare us to mainland Europe post Brexit and its mind boggling. 

This isn't a competition. As one of our closest neighbours, if they aren't vaccinated quickly then we won't be "back to normal" until they do. The same applies to the rest of the world too. 

Whilst I am glad to see our vaccination rates increase quickly, I am concerned that there are a lot of other countries being left behind. 

Plus is gives the gutter press amunition to stoke up the little Englander xenophobes.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1388246/Emmanuel-Macron-Matt-Hancock-Sky-News-vaccine-rollout-France-UK-latest-news-vn

Lots of talk about a couple of things that are of interest to this thread.

Firstly reports coming from Germany suggest the Astra-Zenica vaccine has only 8% efficacy in over 65's. Obviously that is very worrying given it is where most of our doses come from. If I remember rightly it wasn't actually tested on those over 55 so it wouldn't be a surprise to see its efficacy drop off a bit but down to 8% would be a massive worry. All unconfirmed reports though and evidence is to follow. Hopefully it is not the case.

The EU is also having a spat with the company as they haven't received the amount of vaccinations they were hoping for. It sounds like AV have either been sending them elsewhere or are having production problems. 

There is also reports on the news of further quarantine measures from international arrivals. The article below talks a little about how it has worked in Australia and where it has struggled, showing how it would be difficult to implement smoothly here. Personally it is something I am in favour of and I think something like this is quite likely. I wouldn't expect a foreign holiday any time soon!

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/australian-style-quarantine-not-easy-coronavirus-fix-uk

One of the last lines in the article shows the difficulties we faced early on with international travellers in the country compared to Australia.

"And it would feel the effects of border closures even more acutely than Australia: in 2018-19, the UK received 145 million international passenger arrivals, [2] compared to Australia’s 21 million. [3]"

11 minutes ago, Bailey said:

One of the last lines in the article shows the difficulties we faced early on with international travellers in the country compared to Australia.

"And it would feel the effects of border closures even more acutely than Australia: in 2018-19, the UK received 145 million international passenger arrivals, [2] compared to Australia’s 21 million. [3]"

I don't think it shows "the difficulties we (potentially) faced" at all in terms of the practicalities of shutting the border, it suggests (to me) that we would "feel the effects" more acutely in economic terms because we'd have stopped more people coming in.

If you lock your door up tight it doesn't matter how many people come knocking on it if you're turning them all away.