IGNORED

Robin Olsen

35 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Like I said elsewhere; won't push Pickford at all.

I think any keeper we bring in is going to be a replacement for Lossl, not Pickford. I’d imagine the club will think he provides more competition. We aren’t likely to find a keeper who is going to definitely be a longterm improvement on Pickford with such short time. Makes all the sense in the world to get someone decent who can play if needed while we give ourselves the year to find a top class guy. It also gives Pickford his chance to return to his best. He’ll know that it’s now or never with Everton. Smart way to do it in my opinion.

27 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I just think it's an utterly pointless move. He won't push him any more than Lossl or Virginia.

I agree we'll be looking for a number 1 next summer, which is what I've said would be the case if Pickford didn't sort himself out, but I don't see what good this move does.

They would not bring any keeper in if they didn’t think they were better competition for Pickford than what we have. It would be completely pointless as you suggest. Either you think the club is very stupid or you accept they have a different opinion than you do. There isn’t a third option.

1 minute ago, SpartyBlue said:

They would not bring any keeper in if they didn’t think they were better competition for Pickford than what we have. It would be completely pointless as you suggest. Either you think the club is very stupid or you accept they have a different opinion than you do. There isn’t a third option.

Soz, Sparty, I'll just get back in my fucking box and not give my thoughts on a football forum.

I won't like, but I thought it's what you'd want to hear.

8 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Soz, Sparty, I'll just get back in my fucking box and not give my thoughts on a football forum.

I won't like, but I thought it's what you'd want to hear.

Nothing to do with that. You’re entitled to give whatever opinion you’d like . I’m simply pointing out that if the club brings in a keeper this window they obviously think it’s better competition for Pickford. There is no other reason they’d make a signing at the position. Perhaps you’re right and he’s not any better than Lossl or Virginia but the club obviously thinks different if they bring him or another keeper in and, for me, they’ve earned the benefit of the doubt this window.

40 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I just think it's an utterly pointless move. He won't push him any more than Lossl or Virginia.

I agree we'll be looking for a number 1 next summer, which is what I've said would be the case if Pickford didn't sort himself out, but I don't see what good this move does.

It's a very strange transfer, although i have never seen him play so my opinion is almost invalid. From what i hear he's another mistake prone keeper. 

Im secretly hoping he's being used to bait in Romero who's wifes just kicked off on insta for united not letting him go. 

Just now, Aidan said:

It's a very strange transfer, although i have never seen him play so my opinion is almost invalid. From what i hear he's another mistake prone keeper. 

This is what makes it not a good move. If you want to give Pickford a kick up the backside and make him feel threatened a keeper that's just as likely to get the clown music going isn't going to be the answer. 

Maybe he'll be trusted more in cup games than Lossl and will actually play a game or two. Yay.

8 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Im secretly hoping he's being used to bait in Romero who's wifes just kicked off on insta for united not letting him go. 

It seems like Romero is interested but United is not going to let him leave to help out a team they must now perceive as a rival. I mentioned it above but I think a better backup on loan who will push Pickford some more is the best we could/should do this window. I’ve no doubt we will be heavily scouting in this area to see what is possible in the summer if not sooner.

I’m not any more familiar with him than anyone else here but it looks like he was Swedish keeper of the year the last 4 seasons and was obviously their keeper in the last World Cup. Has experience in Europe as well. This suggests that he’s put in some performances at some point. Perhaps not unlike Jordan. 

Sky reporting that the deal is close, in advanced talks apparently. The more you read about him the worse it seems to get though, signed a five year deal with AS Roma but was shipped out on loan after just one season, conceded 15 goals in his first 7 games and 58 in 35 across the season. 

Those statistics are abysmal. 

16 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Nothing to do with that. You’re entitled to give whatever opinion you’d like . I’m simply pointing out that if the club brings in a keeper this window they obviously think it’s better competition for Pickford. There is no other reason they’d make a signing at the position. Perhaps you’re right and he’s not any better than Lossl or Virginia but the club obviously thinks different if they bring him or another keeper in and, for me, they’ve earned the benefit of the doubt this window.

But you say that as if you have inside information that they definitely want him, and if you have and they sign him I would totally agree with you and not challenge Ancelotti’s wisdom, but for me at this moment in time it’s just a rumour unless I’ve missed something, and if it’s only a rumour people will give their opinions, I haven’t on a few of the Keepers being banded about because I either don’t know them or know very little about them. 

7 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Sky reporting that the deal is close, in advanced talks apparently. The more you read about him the worse it seems to get though, signed a five year deal with AS Roma but was shipped out on loan after just one season, conceded 15 goals in his first 7 games and 58 in 35 across the season. 

Those statistics are abysmal. 

I feel even better now, Zoo.

Jordan Pickford also feels better.

Only one of these statements is true.

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

But you say that as if you have inside information that they definitely want him, and if you have and they sign him I would totally agree with you and not challenge Ancelotti’s wisdom, but for me at this moment in time it’s just a rumour unless I’ve missed something, and if it’s only a rumour people will give their opinions, I haven’t on a few of the Keepers being banded about because I either don’t know them or know very little about them. 

I make no claim to any specific  knowledge here.I was just making what I thought was a rather obvious point that whatever any of us think about the rumoured keepers the club will only bring someone in if they believe they are better competition than what we have. In general I’m in favor of a loan move which would give us time to really look and find the best option for a long term Pickford replacement, assuming he doesn’t return to his best form. 

1 minute ago, SpartyBlue said:

I make no claim to any knowledge. I was just making what I thought was a rather obvious point that whatever any of us think about the rumoured keepers the club will only bring someone in if they believe they are better competition than what we have. In general I’m in favor of a loan move which would give us time to really look and find the best option for a long term Pickford replacement, assuming he doesn’t return to his best form. 

I apologise I misunderstood I thought you were advocating Olsen, not generalising any keeper they might bring in. 

3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I apologise I misunderstood I thought you were advocating Olsen, not generalising any keeper they might bring in. 

No worries. I have no idea about him I was just mentioning what my 10 min of research found. Plenty of videos of him making great saves but I imagine that’s true of every keeper above a certain level. I believe he was the replacement for Allison which is an interesting fact.

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

pickford will know he is shite when an even more shite keeper replaces him

For sure. I’m sure he knows the ice is cracking beneath him. By virtue of us having limited time to find a top keeper he is likely to get a reprieve and at least a few months to get himself together. Hopefully we will see him show some character and rededicate himself. If he’s the difference between 4th and 7th he’s gonna go down as quite the villain.

16 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

No worries. I have no idea about him I was just mentioning what my 10 min of research found. Plenty of videos of him making great saves but I imagine that’s true of every keeper above a certain level. I believe he was the replacement for Allison which is an interesting fact.

Yep youtube makes players look like stars but even more so with keepers. 

Definitely seems like a stop gap - as said above, it may mean Virginia can go out on loan - hopefully come back ready to be back-up/ one of 3 next season with more opportunities with us being in Europe (?). Pretty sure Lössl with be out of contract next summer and who knows with Pickford? What I do expect is a new first team keeper will be top of the list next summer. It sounds like Romero/Gazziniga could have been available to buy but the fact we only want a loan deal suggests there’s maybe a bigger picture/plan.

1 minute ago, c1982 said:

Definitely seems like a stop gap - as said above, it may mean Virginia can go out on loan - hopefully come back ready to be back-up/ one of 3 next season with more opportunities with us being in Europe (?). Pretty sure Lössl with be out of contract next summer and who knows with Pickford? What I do expect is a new first team keeper will be top of the list next summer. It sounds like Romero/Gazziniga could have been available to buy but the fact we only want a loan deal suggests there’s maybe a bigger picture/plan.

I know people disagree but i believe Romero would fot perfectly for us, could see him being a regular goalkeeper for a CL club. 

7 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Then people need to stop acting like he's going to be doing anything other than sitting his arse on the bench before my head falls off ready for Halloween!

3 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I know people disagree but i believe Romero would fot perfectly for us, could see him being a regular goalkeeper for a CL club. 

I think he probably would have but maybe we’re after a long term keeper with specific targets in mind who aren’t available currently hence not pursuing a deal for Romero, regardless of whether he’s better than Pickford, as we may want to replace him too in 12 months (more like9/10 actually) time.

Just now, c1982 said:

I think he probably would have but maybe we’re after a long term keeper with specific targets in mind who aren’t available currently hence not pursuing a deal for Romero, regardless of whether he’s better than Pickford, as we may want to replace him too in 12 months (more like9/10 actually) time.

Quite possibly. Donnarumma anyone?