IGNORED

Robin Olsen

35 minutes ago, StevO said:

Anyone with swing advice, I’ve got two words for you; Matthew Wolff. 

His positions from the top of the swing through impact are pretty standard as is the case with almost all professionals. He just gets there a different way. There are certain things you just have to do to be at that level. Fun guy to watch though.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Never done anything Pickford doesn’t do week in week out, good display but no better. 

His command of his 6 yard box looks night and day different.  The sheer size of him makes him look the part.

He made 2 very good saves and didn't make any mistakes ....  Mistakes being the key part. 

At the very least Pickford has watched a goalkeeper come in and show that he now has a genuine threat to his place unless he knuckles down.  That certainly seems to keep him on his toes for England based on his performances.

Hopefully the noise from the gobshites quietens down and the biggest issue Pickford has to think about is keeping his position in the side safe on the field rather than himself and his family off the field.  It should bring out the best in him. 

yeah i agree with you @Hafnia.  Carlo was slick with putting Olsen in.  He did what you said, proved to Pickford that is someone battling for his spot who's quality, it also gave Olsen a chance to prove himself.  By announcing Pickford would start United he knows he's safe for now so it doesn't ruin his confidence, Carlo played it perfectly.

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

His command of his 6 yard box looks night and day different.  The sheer size of him makes him look the part.

He made 2 very good saves and didn't make any mistakes ....  Mistakes being the key part. 

At the very least Pickford has watched a goalkeeper come in and show that he now has a genuine threat to his place unless he knuckles down.  That certainly seems to keep him on his toes for England based on his performances.

Hopefully the noise from the gobshites quietens down and the biggest issue Pickford has to think about is keeping his position in the side safe on the field rather than himself and his family off the field.  It should bring out the best in him. 

I don't actually remember him having anything in his 6 yard box to "command"?

He made one save you would expect most keepers to make and later produced a fantastic stop that kept us in the game for longer. I also agree with the previous post about his calmness, especially on the ball. He just looked composed albeit he wasn't put under any pressure.

I certainly liked what I saw and hope that if he plays again that he can continue in that vein.

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

He made one save you would expect most keepers to make and later produced a fantastic stop that kept us in the game for longer. I also agree with the previous post about his calmness, especially on the ball. He just looked composed albeit he wasn't put under any pressure.

I certainly liked what I saw and hope that if he plays again that he can continue in that vein.

Assume you've forgotten the free kick that looped just inside our box and he came instantly off his line, shouted "keepers" and claimed it? Not something that you'd put on a highlight reel but laid down the marker that anything and everything heading into the box from above would be dealt with. 

I agree with you that he wasn't put under much pressure, it wasn't as though he made 14 saves to keep us in the game but he did what he had to well. 

On 02/11/2020 at 18:07, Zoo 2.0 said:

Assume you've forgotten the free kick that looped just inside our box and he came instantly off his line, shouted "keepers" and claimed it? Not something that you'd put on a highlight reel but laid down the marker that anything and everything heading into the box from above would be dealt with. 

I agree with you that he wasn't put under much pressure, it wasn't as though he made 14 saves to keep us in the game but he did what he had to well. 

I had and still don't remember it! :)

Even so it's hardly enough to comment that the "command of his box looks night and day different" and that is the point.

As I have said throughout, I thought he did look good and you couldn't fault what he did in the game. It just wasn't something to go OTT over.

On 02/11/2020 at 18:07, Zoo 2.0 said:

I saw it, stood out a mile. Not sure how anyone missed that as it was so different from what we see from Pickford. That was the one big thing that I pressed me. Must have ran six yards to jump and catch it. 

On 02/11/2020 at 14:31, Bailey said:

I think zoo and shukes highlighted the example I'm referring to. Pure size and dominance

He looks a foot bigger than Pickford. .. the challenge with Pickford isn't the quality of his saves.... It's the frequency of his mistakes.

We can look and debate whether Pickford would save the ones Olsen did, it's irrelevant ..... Cos the issue is he's let in far easier. 

3 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I think zoo and shukes highlighted the example I'm referring to. Pure size and dominance

He looks a foot bigger than Pickford. .. the challenge with Pickford isn't the quality of his saves.... It's the frequency of his mistakes.

We can look and debate whether Pickford would save the ones Olsen did, it's irrelevant ..... Cos the issue is he's let in far easier. 

Problem with Pickford is his hand to eye coordination. He struggles with catches, punches ect. His strength is his bravery. He isn’t afraid of the ball, and saves a majority with parts of his body due to his bravery. If he could learn to focus on his coordination, he could be an excellent keeper.

On 05/11/2020 at 14:55, Hafnia said:

I hope there was more than that one example! 

If Pickford suddenly comes out tomorrow and plucks one ball out of the sky it doesn’t mean has improved "night and day" and all will be fine. 

Let's just try and keep our feet on the ground and not go way over the top on 1 action. 

53 minutes ago, Bailey said:

If Pickford suddenly comes out tomorrow and plucks one ball out of the sky it doesn’t mean has improved "night and day" and all will be fine. 

Let's just try and keep our feet on the ground and not go way over the top on 1 action. 

I don't think anyone said that though. We were just saying that, that example was night and day... and it was. Surprised a student of the game like you missed it....

and that’s not meant derogatory at all mate, you strike me as one that looks a little deeper than most.

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

The thing is Bailey you won’t win the argument with people who believe a player is shit, so don’t even try you are wasting your time, trust me I know what I’m talking about reference Gonna you could right a book about all the good he’s done and I would still say he’s poor. 
Some are blinkered by there own beliefs, such as Pickford has obviously never claimed a ball in the air before, or Pickford hasn’t made stops like that before. 
All absolute rubbish just blinkered biased opinion, for them anything and anyone is better than Pickford end of, I know I’ve been there. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

The thing is Bailey you won’t win the argument with people who believe a player is shit, so don’t even try you are wasting your time, trust me I know what I’m talking about reference Gonna you could right a book about all the good he’s done and I would still say he’s poor. 
Some are blinkered by there own beliefs, such as Pickford has obviously never claimed a ball in the air before, or Pickford hasn’t made stops like that before. 
All absolute rubbish just blinkered biased opinion, for them anything and anyone is better than Pickford end of, I know I’ve been there. 

Pickford is an excellent keeper. But his strength isn’t catching mate. That’s all I’m saying, when Olsen came out like a tank and caught that ball..... he deserved credit for his strengths... just as any player should.

Shouldnt they? Or are we only allowed to give credit to certain players haha. 
Wine this early isn’t good for your stress levels mate.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Pickford is an excellent keeper. But his strength isn’t catching mate. That’s all I’m saying, when Olsen came out like a tank and caught that ball..... he deserved credit for his strengths... just as any player should.

Shouldnt they? Or are we only allowed to give credit to certain players haha. 
Wine this early isn’t good for your stress levels mate.

I was just saying Pickford has plucked the ball out of the air in the past, granted not as much as he should do and I have in game time said on occasions catch it man, yes I agree Olsen had a good start to his Everton career bar the 2 goals which he couldn’t do much about, he wasn’t hugely under pressure but what he did he did well. 
Do I think he’s an improvement on Pickford no I don’t, do I think he is a challenge to Pickford’s spot yes I do. 
Pickford is on a long term contract to us, Olsen is an end of season loanee I don’t even believe Ancelotti sees him as anything but a make do just in case. But having said that next summer I can see Ancelotti buying in a keeper to really put a cat amongst the pigeons. 

22 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I know Palf. Just fishing 😉

And yes Picks does come and collect the ball, Olsen just looked very dominant when he came for it, where I panicked and cringe when Pickford comes. That’s where I see night and day difference.... but it was one incident... Olsen might have shared his best moment there haha.

I wasn't biting honest 🤥

16 hours ago, Shukes said:

I don't think anyone said that though. We were just saying that, that example was night and day... and it was. Surprised a student of the game like you missed it....

and that’s not meant derogatory at all mate, you strike me as one that looks a little deeper than most.

I was probably being nagged at by the Mrs! 

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

I know Palf. Just fishing 😉

And yes Picks does come and collect the ball, Olsen just looked very dominant when he came for it, where I panicked and cringe when Pickford comes. That’s where I see night and day difference.... but it was one incident... Olsen might have shared his best moment there haha.

Haha yeh thats it, one moment. A broken clock is right two times a day and all that. 

If today is anything to go by it looks like we will be seeing him again soon and hopefully he command his area some more! 

40 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I was probably being nagged at by the Mrs! 

Haha yeh thats it, one moment. A broken clock is right two times a day and all that. 

If today is anything to go by it looks like we will be seeing him again soon and hopefully he command his area some more! 

Put your rod away mate 😉

• 3 weeks later...