IGNORED

Robin Olsen

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

You make him sound like a Tyrannosaurus Rex 🦖 I would more liken him to a Kangaroo 🦘. There both here till the end of the season so it’s head down arse up and get on with it there’s nothing to be done now until the summer, and that’s only if Ancelotti sees it as a priority. 

That’s actually his nickname isn’t it haha. I hate the neutrals calling him T. rex.

On 08/02/2021 at 20:08, Matt said:

If you don’t recognise him, does that mean he’s playing bad in your eyes then?

Id say that at least one of Man Utds goals was stopable and he is not acting with the cinfidence that im used to. Look at him in the national team. Much more confident. 

He will improve, I actually think all of you would prefer him over Pickford if he showed the same confidence as he does in the national team. Unfortunatly I dont think there is enough time left for that. 

26 minutes ago, Peter H said:

Id say that at least one of Man Utds goals was stopable and he is not acting with the cinfidence that im used to. Look at him in the national team. Much more confident. 

He will improve, I actually think all of you would prefer him over Pickford if he showed the same confidence as he does in the national team. Unfortunatly I dont think there is enough time left for that. 

I’ve not seen enough to judge him on, I’m more arguing against the praise for him because he’s not Pickford. Done nothing majorly wrong in my eyes, but nothing spectacular either. 

Don’t watch international games so I’ll take your word for it 

On 07/02/2021 at 21:41, Matt said:

Olsen just seems to be a similar level to Pickford, but with different flaws. Hard to judge him on a few games but even so, some of the mistakes he’s made have been awful. I don’t see the calming thing at all, I see someone pretending to be calm, a kind of arrogance, and at the slightest pressure being quite poor. He’s taller but can’t kick well. So, I don’t know :dontknow:

He’s here to step in step in for Pickford, and that’s exactly what he’s doing. 

I think if you combined their best attributes you would probably end up with a very good keeper. Where one falls short, the other is strong.

On 08/02/2021 at 09:57, Hafnia said:

6ft.  Amazing shot stopper and brilliant at one on ones. ...again though he got lots of grief for command of his area and corners.

Let's be honest Palf, the average height of centre halves is about 2 inches more than it was 15/20 years ago.  If a keeper is 6ft 1 he looks small on corners.  And yes, Pickford has noticeably short arms - kopites rarely miss an opportunity to take the piss but it's an accurate observation. 

How many times have you come out and claimed a ball in a crowded penalty box?

Height, physicality or whatever you want to term it does have a part to play but it is only one small part of a number of different factors. Plenty of tall and broad keepers are terrible at collecting crosses.

In my experience, coming for crosses depends a lot on how you read the flight of the ball, decision making and how aggressive the keeper is. Then you can add into that a bit of reach and how high they can jump, which therefore factors in height and size. I would also say it depends on what players you have and what defensive systems you use.

My impression with Pickford is that is mind is too erratic and that means he doesn't read the flight that well and nor does he make consistently good decisions about when to come or go. He is generally an aggressive keeper so when you but that all together, it just doesn't make a good match. Then you add in his size and frame and it means that any bad decision he makes becomes compounded.

I also think the short arms thing isn't true. I can't find any measurements but I have compared his resting arm position against Allison (1.91m), Lloris (1.88m) and Ederson (1.88m) and they sit around the same length. Unless he has an unusually short body, I don't think it is a significant factor. Pickford is 1.85m by the way.

Just as a bit more overall research, only Matt Ryan is the same height as Pickford with the majority around 1.9m give or take a couple of cm. The tallest keepers in the league, surprisingly to me, are Mendy and Mellier at 1.97m

42 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think if you combined their best attributes you would probably end up with a very good keeper. Where one falls short, the other is strong.

How many times have you come out and claimed a ball in a crowded penalty box?

Height, physicality or whatever you want to term it does have a part to play but it is only one small part of a number of different factors. Plenty of tall and broad keepers are terrible at collecting crosses.

In my experience, coming for crosses depends a lot on how you read the flight of the ball, decision making and how aggressive the keeper is. Then you can add into that a bit of reach and how high they can jump, which therefore factors in height and size. I would also say it depends on what players you have and what defensive systems you use.

My impression with Pickford is that is mind is too erratic and that means he doesn't read the flight that well and nor does he make consistently good decisions about when to come or go. He is generally an aggressive keeper so when you but that all together, it just doesn't make a good match. Then you add in his size and frame and it means that any bad decision he makes becomes compounded.

I also think the short arms thing isn't true. I can't find any measurements but I have compared his resting arm position against Allison (1.91m), Lloris (1.88m) and Ederson (1.88m) and they sit around the same length. Unless he has an unusually short body, I don't think it is a significant factor. Pickford is 1.85m by the way.

Just as a bit more overall research, only Matt Ryan is the same height as Pickford with the majority around 1.9m give or take a couple of cm. The tallest keepers in the league, surprisingly to me, are Mendy and Mellier at 1.97m

Height is a factor, it's not the definitive factor....   I've played in goal and I was shit.... But if my standing jump and physicality was putting me at a distinct advantage over the other players my confidence would be high and I would believe 9/10 it's my ball 

That's the key. Pickford is not confident in his ability in this regard and that's why he's erratic.

A keepers margin for error in reading flight of ball is far greater if they are bigger. Simple as that. 

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Height is a factor, it's not the definitive factor....   I've played in goal and I was shit.... But if my standing jump and physicality was putting me at a distinct advantage over the other players my confidence would be high and I would believe 9/10 it's my ball 

That's the key. Pickford is not confident in his ability in this regard and that's why he's erratic.

A keepers margin for error in reading flight of ball is far greater if they are bigger. Simple as that. 

What 5 or 6cm? Do you really believe that is the difference? Would Pickford be that much more confident because he was 2 inches taller? 

De Gea is 1.92m but he is one of the worst keepers at collecting aerial balls out there at the top level. What is his excuse?

It's a nonsense argument. 

25 minutes ago, Bailey said:

What 5 or 6cm? Do you really believe that is the difference? Would Pickford be that much more confident because he was 2 inches taller? 

De Gea is 1.92m but he is one of the worst keepers at collecting aerial balls out there at the top level. What is his excuse?

It's a nonsense argument. 

Bailey, 2 inches in height results in a further multiplayer in terms of reach... That's on a standard 1.06 ratio which I'd argue is less in the case of Pickford.

Why are you prattling on about degea when I've already said it's not the definitive factor... If someone isnt brave it counts for nothing.

Maybe your right, let's go and sign some 5ft 10 keepers.... After all height doesn't matter. 

51 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Bailey, 2 inches in height results in a further multiplayer in terms of reach... That's on a standard 1.06 ratio which I'd argue is less in the case of Pickford.

Why are you prattling on about degea when I've already said it's not the definitive factor... If someone isnt brave it counts for nothing.

Maybe your right, let's go and sign some 5ft 10 keepers.... After all height doesn't matter. 

Not necessarily. Your logic is that a tall person has greater reach, which they will do if they stood still and you took the measurement but not when it comes to the movement (whatever that may be) because lots of other factors come into play. 

It might be that Pickford falls short on those other metrics too but I expect that he would beat many other taller keepers with a greater reach. Obviously I have no way of proving that so it is as much of a guess as yours is about height but I accept that.

The defence looked so calm and composed once again with Olsen behind them :lol:.

In all seriousness, he made some good saves but he seems to love pushing the ball out into the centre of the goal from saves rather than to the side and it played a part in the third goal we conceded.

He's very much just an older version of Pickford - capable of some quality saves but has some costly flaws.

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

The defence looked so calm and composed once again with Olsen behind them :lol:.

In all seriousness, he made some good saves but he seems to love pushing the ball out into the centre of the goal from saves rather than to the side and it played a part in the third goal we conceded.

He's very much just an older version of Pickford - capable of some quality saves but has some costly flaws.

Better goalkeeper than Pickford. 

Made 4 top saves. Not the answer but better the Pickford. 

Just now, Hafnia said:

I don't agree at all, they're on a similar level for me. Throw a dart to pick who plays and you'll get similar performances.

A number one is a priority because we've got two keepers that will pull off a brilliant save and then the next moment have a shocker.

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

It’s an odd one. Pickford is far superior with his feet. Olsen is bigger in goal and on balance I’d have to say he’s a better shot stopper this season. Both have some errors in them. 

6 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

Anyone fancy taking Lloris? 😳

I said it earlier this week, every keeper has a mistake in him, as does every player, it’s highlighted in a keeper as it tends to lead to a goal against.

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Absolutely not! I've said many a time that it's laughable that Lloris is talked up as being one of the best keepers around by pundits.

It was meant as sarcasm !

The perfect keeper doesn’t exist as this week as shown, even those we perceive as better or get told are better by faceless statistics and haven’t got a clue pundits are making some huge blunders. I’m going to leave it to Ancelotti to work out but personally I think what we’ve got in our 2 keepers is no worse than most in the league.