IGNORED

Robin Olsen

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

That's like saying because they got it right with Godfrey that they'll only ever sign brilliant CB's.

It doesn't work that way.

And it doesn’t work that every time a keeper makes a mistake you get rid of them, that’s like saying every time a striker misses an open goal or someone misses a penalty you get rid of them. 
Football can’t be a perfect science and player’s will fuck up from time to time keepers mistakes unfortunately stand out more, Pickford will be playing here next season Olsen not so sure so you might get 50% of your wish. 

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

And it doesn’t work that every time a keeper makes a mistake you get rid of them, that’s like saying every time a striker misses an open goal or someone misses a penalty you get rid of them. 
Football can’t be a perfect science and player’s will fuck up from time to time keepers mistakes unfortunately stand out more, Pickford will be playing here next season Olsen not so sure so you might get 50% of your wish. 

Palfy, I've backed Pickford for a long time against others on here, so that's a load of crap. I've ran out of patience with him this season.

Olsen was never good enough and I've said that from the start and criticised him before tonight. So again, a load of crap.

Neither one is good enough, and if we want to get to where we want to be we'll need better than what we have. End of story.

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Palfy, I've backed Pickford for a long time against others on here, so that's a load of crap. I've ran out of patience with him this season.

Olsen was never good enough and I've said that from the start and criticised him before tonight. So again, a load of crap.

Neither one is good enough, and if we want to get to where we want to be we'll need better than what we have. End of story.

In more than one position and it will be the beginning of along story hopefully of tales of PL and CL titles, and Pickford will still be here next season. 

5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

In more than one position and it will be the beginning of along story hopefully of tales of PL and CL titles, and Pickford will still be here next season. 

He will be if he gets his act together, but if he doesn't I have no doubt Ancelotti will jettison him out of the club.

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He will be if he gets his act together, but if he doesn't I have no doubt Ancelotti will jettison him out of the club.

I agree if that scenario happens, at this moment in time I believe Ancelotti really rates Pickford, if he doesn’t then he’s a very convincing liar. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Has donnarumma signed a new contract? 

Is he really that good? Or does he just get the hype because he played for a big club at such a young age? 

Ive found a few compilation videos on YouTube of his mistakes, but they all seem to be two years old. Didn’t see anything more recent than that. 

There's absolutely no way on Earth that Donnarumma is coming here, it'd be my out of this world top choice but it's not happening - the lad could play for anyone in the world so at the very least he will want a side that's regularly in the Champions League, we are unfortunately well below the kind of team that he would consider moving to.

The rumour is that Chelsea have been in advanced negotiations with him for a while (Mendy was only ever going to be a stop-gap until summer) so I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up there. I must say that if his transfer seems likely we'll see most clubs in Europe join the race as he would be an upgrade on any of their keepers (better than Ederson, De Gea, Courtois, Navas for example).

For any of the doubters he's outstanding too, made his AC Milan debut aged 16 and hasn't looked back - made his 200th appearance not so long ago and at 21 he's only going to get better. He has all the ingredients to become the best goalkeeper of all time when you consider the level he's playing at, with so many years ahead of him. 

My realistic choice in the goalkeeping department would have been André Onana but he's just been banned for 12 months for a failed drugs test, so there's that one dead in the water too! 

3 hours ago, StevO said:

Is he really that good? Or does he just get the hype because he played for a big club at such a young age? 

Ive found a few compilation videos on YouTube of his mistakes, but they all seem to be two years old. Didn’t see anything more recent than that. 

If he's free then it's a no brainer one way or another. 

14 hours ago, Palfy said:

I agree if that scenario happens, at this moment in time I believe Ancelotti really rates Pickford, if he doesn’t then he’s a very convincing liar. 

Ancellotti is just very smart.  He knows he's not going to get a response by saying "he's a load of shite and I've instructed brands to get a new keeper".

Pickford will be a number 2. He may actually be good as a number 2

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

There's absolutely no way on Earth that Donnarumma is coming here, it'd be my out of this world top choice but it's not happening - the lad could play for anyone in the world so at the very least he will want a side that's regularly in the Champions League, we are unfortunately well below the kind of team that he would consider moving to.

The rumour is that Chelsea have been in advanced negotiations with him for a while (Mendy was only ever going to be a stop-gap until summer) so I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up there. I must say that if his transfer seems likely we'll see most clubs in Europe join the race as he would be an upgrade on any of their keepers (better than Ederson, De Gea, Courtois, Navas for example).

For any of the doubters he's outstanding too, made his AC Milan debut aged 16 and hasn't looked back - made his 200th appearance not so long ago and at 21 he's only going to get better. He has all the ingredients to become the best goalkeeper of all time when you consider the level he's playing at, with so many years ahead of him. 

My realistic choice in the goalkeeping department would have been André Onana but he's just been banned for 12 months for a failed drugs test, so there's that one dead in the water too! 

Yeah I don’t know keepers that well to know who we should get.  I knew the Ajax one but like you said he’s been busted doping.  

Is Leno from arsenal an upgrade?  He might want out if they continue to be crap

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Ancellotti is just very smart.  He knows he's not going to get a response by saying "he's a load of shite and I've instructed brands to get a new keeper".

Pickford will be a number 2. He may actually be good as a number 2

Yes he is smart but I don’t think he kept playing Pickford just to keep his value up, I think he kept playing him because he believes in him, if he didn’t Olsen would have been included in the first team a lot sooner than he was and played a lot more games than he has. Olsen has featured in the last 2 games due to Pickford being injured, would it be smart to play your worst keeper over your better keeper, because that is what it sounds like you’re saying, and up until the Utd game most were saying Olsen is the better keeper the manager seems to see it differently. 
No doubt we will get another keeper at the expense of who we will have to wait and see. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

If he's free then it's a no brainer one way or another. 

Well, no, that makes no sense. There are plenty of players who are free, doesn’t mean they are good enough. 

But I was asking because I’ve never seen the lad play, he’s got a great highlight reel, but so did Richard Wright. 

13 minutes ago, StevO said:

This weekend I’ve seen Olsen, De Gae, Allison and Edison all make mistakes. 
Pickford would be battered for these faults. 
Allison is a shambles today. 

Highlights the fact that a keeper has nowhere to hide if they make a mistake, FWIW I think Olsens calmer approach gives our defenders confidence in him, as much as I rate Pickford as a shot stopper, when he wobbles it makes the whole defence wobble.

Keeper has to be the toughest position to get right. Top keepers now cost a fortune and even then you can't be 100%.

I would so like Pickford to be come more consistent and reliable. No keeper will ever be mistake free. Becasue what has preceeded with Pickford now, is it inevitable that now every error or slight mistake will simply be over analised. Even if he cut errors down to a 'normal' or acceptable level, is he now simply damned.  

Even the very best will make mistakes. 

19 minutes ago, StevO said:

Well, no, that makes no sense. There are plenty of players who are free, doesn’t mean they are good enough. 

But I was asking because I’ve never seen the lad play, he’s got a great highlight reel, but so did Richard Wright. 

He's a £70m goally, if he's not good enough you sell for a shit load profit. 

2 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Keeper has to be the toughest position to get right. Top keepers now cost a fortune and even then you can't be 100%.

I would so like Pickford to be come more consistent and reliable. No keeper will ever be mistake free. Becasue what has preceeded with Pickford now, is it inevitable that now every error or slight mistake will simply be over analised. Even if he cut errors down to a 'normal' or acceptable level, is he now simply damned.  

Exactly this. My worry is if we start bringing in other keepers, spend a lot of money, and they end up no better than Pickford. 
The best keepers in the world are making plenty of mistakes. 

Just now, Hafnia said:

He's a £70m goally, if he's not good enough you sell for a shit load profit. 

Haf, I asked the question if he’s any good or just hype, because I’ve never seen the lad play. But you didn’t answer that anyway. Zoo did though.

If he’s a £70m keeper he isn’t signing for Everton, so I guess we don’t need to worry about him. 

4 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Of course they do Allison 3 mistakes in 3 minutes that cost 2 goals and he’s supposedly the No1 keeper in the world.

And on top of that you could argue that because it was City and a game they couldn’t afford to lose he has cost them any chance to retain the title, brilliant well played Allison. 

12 minutes ago, StevO said:

Haf, I asked the question if he’s any good or just hype, because I’ve never seen the lad play. But you didn’t answer that anyway. Zoo did though.

If he’s a £70m keeper he isn’t signing for Everton, so I guess we don’t need to worry about him. 

He's taken over from Buffon as the countries number 1, he's available on a free, we have a Milan legend managing us.   I don't think we need to extensively scout him. 

You'd have probably said the same about our chances of getting James.  

Is he better than Pickford? Well he's better than Meret who Ancellotti managed at Napoli and Meret I'd better than Pickford. 

26 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He's taken over from Buffon as the countries number 1, he's available on a free, we have a Milan legend managing us.   I don't think we need to extensively scout him. 

You'd have probably said the same about our chances of getting James.  

Is he better than Pickford? Well he's better than Meret who Ancellotti managed at Napoli and Meret I'd better than Pickford. 

All well and good, but taking over from Buffon after he left, being his countries number 1 (so are Olsen and Pickford) and who our manager is, doesn’t mean this lad is a good keeper or not. 

Again, I was asking if he is any good or just hype. 

I thought we had every chance of getting James, because he was out of favour at his previous club and had a relationship with our manger, as well as being a player past his best. I don’t think this is the same. I’m hearing this is the best young keeper in the world and is very much wanted by his current club and many others. 

18 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I keep seeing it said that Olsen has a calming influence on our defence but yesterday wasn’t a good defensive performance at all and they all had to shit their pants to scramble to cover for him fucking up against Leeds.

I don’t buy it whatsoever. 

I’m one who keeps saying it, and we will never know if it’s true or false as they can’t play in goal together to compare like for like, what I do feel is games where Pickford looses his head and the rest seem to follow and we loose the game, maybe not as a direct fault of his but possible cause. Of course time moves on and we’re more settled as a team under Carlo than before which will have a positive effect in most games.