IGNORED

Robin Olsen

I think Pickford is the answer IF we can do two things:

1) Coach the stupid out of him. Every player makes mistakes, its the stupid schoolboy shit that has to go.

2) Coach him to be better at coming for cross's. He is young enough to improve, and I think an experienced goalkeeper who is good at knowing when to come for cross's would do him the world of good.

The trouble with having bang average keepers with him is that he learns nothing from them and has no real competition. Carlo has been very canny in rotating them so Pickford cannot be complacent. Pickord is talented and still young so there is hope for him and us.

39 minutes ago, StevO said:

All well and good, but taking over from Buffon after he left, being his countries number 1 (so are Olsen and Pickford) and who our manager is, doesn’t mean this lad is a good keeper or not. 

Again, I was asking if he is any good or just hype. 

I thought we had every chance of getting James, because he was out of favour at his previous club and had a relationship with our manger, as well as being a player past his best. I don’t think this is the same. I’m hearing this is the best young keeper in the world and is very much wanted by his current club and many others. 

Pickford is very much disputed as the best keeper for our country.

We could sign donnarumma and he could be shite for us... He is a very good keeper but so was Kepa.  I can't give you any assurances.  All I can tell you Is that we won't win fuck all with what we've got.

Very difficult to truley assess Olsen after only a few games between the sticks, and it is a little random how he is coming in to games. I think its a little harsh to fully judge a player (keeper or outfeild) until they have a decent time to settle in at new club, area or even country and also have a decent run of games in the team at the very least. Olsen is not going to be on the sams wavelength as the Everton defence yet. How match sharp is he? 

Olsen is also a no. 2, so he is not going to be 'great' keeper, just an OK keeper. Not sure of what sort of 'quailty' we should be expecting. 

1 minute ago, London Blue said:

I think Pickford is the answer IF we can do two things:

1) Coach the stupid out of him. Every player makes mistakes, its the stupid schoolboy shit that has to go.

2) Coach him to be better at coming for cross's. He is young enough to improve, and I think an experienced goalkeeper who is good at knowing when to come for cross's would do him the world of good.

The trouble with having bang average keepers with him is that he learns nothing from them and has no real competition. Carlo has been very canny in rotating them so Pickford cannot be complacent. Pickord is talented and still young so there is hope for him and us.

He can't change who he is. I think he has ticks/moments of impulsivity that will always be there. 

Coming for crosses etc, he's not big enough to command his area.  His reach isn't great, physically not big enough Vs the players in the box. Compare him to the likes of mina and Keane. 

7 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Pickford is very much disputed as the best keeper for our country.

We could sign donnarumma and he could be shite for us... He is a very good keeper but so was Kepa.  I can't give you any assurances.  All I can tell you Is that we won't win fuck all with what we've got.

Again, only asked if he’s good or hype. It’s fine though, Zoo gave a good run down, so I guess he’s seen him play enough to form an opinion. I’ve never seen him, hence why I asked. Won’t make that mistake again. 

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

He can't change who he is. I think he has ticks/moments of impulsivity that will always be there. 

Coming for crosses etc, he's not big enough to command his area.  His reach isn't great, physically not big enough Vs the players in the box. Compare him to the likes of mina and Keane. 

I think you are right about his high, I also think he is a few inches to short to ever be 'great' keeper. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

He’s 6ft 1 the average in the PL is 6ft 2  just an inch off being off average height for a keeper, I wonder if they make football boots with a Cuban heel. 

Olsen just seems to be a similar level to Pickford, but with different flaws. Hard to judge him on a few games but even so, some of the mistakes he’s made have been awful. I don’t see the calming thing at all, I see someone pretending to be calm, a kind of arrogance, and at the slightest pressure being quite poor. He’s taller but can’t kick well. So, I don’t know :dontknow:

He’s here to step in step in for Pickford, and that’s exactly what he’s doing. 

4 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Very difficult to truley assess Olsen after only a few games between the sticks, and it is a little random how he is coming in to games. I think its a little harsh to fully judge a player (keeper or outfeild) until they have a decent time to settle in at new club, area or even country and also have a decent run of games in the team at the very least. Olsen is not going to be on the sams wavelength as the Everton defence yet. How match sharp is he? 

Olsen is also a no. 2, so he is not going to be 'great' keeper, just an OK keeper. Not sure of what sort of 'quailty' we should be expecting. 

I know im calmer watching the games when Olsen is in goal

We didn't sign him in Jan as a perm so wonder what going on there - perhaps we didn't need to and made no financial sense.

Like to think we are pushing scouts for more options.

Many said Ajax keeper was one but hasn't he just hot a 12 month doping ban?

Looking closer to home I quite like the look of Areola at Fulham or Newcastle keeper or WBA.

Donnarumour is not going to look at us and not sure who the up and coming GK in Europe are - surely Chelski search that before getting in Mendy

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

He’s 6ft 1 the average in the PL is 6ft 2  just an inch off being off average height for a keeper, I wonder if they make football boots with a Cuban heel. 

I think the premiership average is nearer 6ft 3, so 2 inches shorter is actually quite a bit smaller that average keeper, it probably makes him one of the shortest keeper. Is there a shorter first choice keeper than Pickford in the Prem? So physically, he is at an immediate disadvantage. 

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

Of course they do Allison 3 mistakes in 3 minutes that cost 2 goals and he’s supposedly the No1 keeper in the world.

And on top of that you could argue that because it was City and a game they couldn’t afford to lose he has cost them any chance to retain the title, brilliant well played Allison. 

The only people who think Allison is best in the world are Liverpool fans.  I’ve never rated him that high.  He’s not that great.  Jan oblak would be the best for me.  

anyone think we could get Buffon for 2 years?  I think he’s still able to play at a high level

8 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

And let’s not forget when he fell over his own feet against Leicester and punched Mina in the nose instead of the ball. 

Fortunately they didn't test him all game with them limited to a single shot from outside the box.

Two Newcastle defeats and a poor goal conceded against Leeds. Crazy that people want him over Pickford.

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

6ft 1.  Great shot stopper and one on ones, poor on crosses and corners. 

Casilias world class keeper 5ft 10 I think played arguably for the the best league team in the world at the time. 
We could have a competition going on here for the shortest keeper in play in European football. 

5 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I think the premiership average is nearer 6ft 3, so 2 inches shorter is actually quite a bit smaller that average keeper, it probably makes him one of the shortest keeper. Is there a shorter first choice keeper than Pickford in the Prem? So physically, he is at an immediate disadvantage. 

Your right 6ft 3 so a thicker insert required with the Cuban heel. 

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

The only people who think Allison is best in the world are Liverpool fans.  I’ve never rated him that high.  He’s not that great.  Jan oblak would be the best for me.  

anyone think we could get Buffon for 2 years?  I think he’s still able to play at a high level

He’s rated on some Keeper stat sites as best in the world, how you determine that I haven’t got a clue just more statistical bullshit if you ask me. 
Really it’s all about opinions and we all see things differently and make choices for different reasons. 
For me it’s who ever is Everton number 1 at the time and if that seems stupid or biased in anyway to bad that’s my choice. 
And if the only people who think Allison is the best keeper in the the world are red supporters then how refreshing is that, there’s a lot to be said about getting behind your man in public show of strength, it’s called togetherness and that’s what makes team’s team’s. More words of wisdom by Palfy😜

I wonder how much of Pickfords irratic play coincidece with the rest of the Everton generally being sloppy and in poor form. Before this season, Pickford was not the only player rightly being lambasted by the fans for poor form. 

Perhps his confidence and quality will pick up in line with what we are now seeing with the rest of the squad. 

As people have been saying a lot is about what is going on in your head. The mentality of what is expected is now much different at Everton. Attitudes and expectations within the the team are changing. 

A few games in and you have already made your mind up. I know better than to try and change your minds and im not defending the guy because im Swedish but because ive seen him play more than youve had wanks so far in 2021. 

Olsen is a good keeper. Deffo good enough for Everton, deffo good enough for the PL. 

11 minutes ago, Peter H said:

A few games in and you have already made your mind up. I know better than to try and change your minds and im not defending the guy because im Swedish but because ive seen him play more than youve had wanks so far in 2021. 

Olsen is a good keeper. Deffo good enough for Everton, deffo good enough for the PL. 

better than Pickford in your opinion?

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

Casilias world class keeper 5ft 10 I think played arguably for the the best league team in the world at the time. 
We could have a competition going on here for the shortest keeper in play in European football. 

6ft.  Amazing shot stopper and brilliant at one on ones. ...again though he got lots of grief for command of his area and corners.

Let's be honest Palf, the average height of centre halves is about 2 inches more than it was 15/20 years ago.  If a keeper is 6ft 1 he looks small on corners.  And yes, Pickford has noticeably short arms - kopites rarely miss an opportunity to take the piss but it's an accurate observation. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

6ft.  Amazing shot stopper and brilliant at one on ones. ...again though he got lots of grief for command of his area and corners.

Let's be honest Palf, the average height of centre halves is about 2 inches more than it was 15/20 years ago.  If a keeper is 6ft 1 he looks small on corners.  And yes, Pickford has noticeably short arms - kopites rarely miss an opportunity to take the piss but it's an accurate observation. 

You make him sound like a Tyrannosaurus Rex 🦖 I would more liken him to a Kangaroo 🦘. There both here till the end of the season so it’s head down arse up and get on with it there’s nothing to be done now until the summer, and that’s only if Ancelotti sees it as a priority.