• Allan
    • André Gomes
    • Abdoulaye Doucouré
    • Dominic Calvert-Lewin
    • James Rodríguez
    • Richarlison
    • Ben Godfrey

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

So when the ref gets a decision wrong the players/coaches should not say a word and be about their business? 

Coaches should be telling the 4th official to review it. Players intimidating a ref is embarrassing. Digne did a great job of that today for example 

Just now, Aidan said:

He was the only player for us today who looked like he could create something out of nothing. 

Just because I think it was his worst game doesn’t mean he wasn’t dangerous. But he really needed to do more, though maybe all the kickings he got put him off

Just now, Matt said:

Just because I think it was his worst game doesn’t mean he wasn’t dangerous. But he really needed to do more, though maybe all the kickings he got put him off

I thought he did what he could. It must have been frustrating for him with Gomes and Richarlison losing possession every time he gave them the ball. Also, thought he worked a lot harder defensively today compared to what we have seen.

2 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I thought he did what he could. It must have been frustrating for him with Gomes and Richarlison losing possession every time he gave them the ball. Also, thought he worked a lot harder defensively today compared to what we have seen.

Really? I thought it was the least tracking back he’s done, bar the one time he did get back and tripped Mane. Especially with Godfrey coming on, he needed to help more but it was Doucoure covering most of the time 

Thought the player who came back from South America where not up to the standards we have been used to this season, but can't be too critical of Mina, Richarlison or Rodriquez as can't really expected them to be firing on all cylinders a couple of days after landing. Set the tone of our performance really. Still a couple of great balls from Rodriguez thought.

Allan has a busy afternoon, but have to give MoM to Keane. 

8 hours ago, Matt said:

Coaches should be telling the 4th official to review it. Players intimidating a ref is embarrassing. Digne did a great job of that today for example 

So you’re ok with the coaches “intimidating” the ref? This is an odd take in my opinion. Players arguing with the refs about anything and everything is synonymous with sport. When a player throws up his hand for a handball or for offsides they aren’t intimidating anyone they are trying to get an outcome for their team. Maybe I’m biased from living in America and watching the sports here for a lifetime  but this does not seem noteworthy to me. I have a kuch greater problem with diving then I do someone claiming a throw in they might not have won or asking for a card to be issued.

6 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

So you’re ok with the coaches “intimidating” the ref? This is an odd take in my opinion. Players arguing with the refs about anything and everything is synonymous with sport. When a player throws up his hand for a handball or for offsides they aren’t intimidating anyone they are trying to get an outcome for their team. Maybe I’m biased from living in America and watching the sports here for a lifetime  but this does not seem noteworthy to me. I have a kuch greater problem with diving then I do someone claiming a throw in they might not have won or asking for a card to be issued.

I didn’t say I’m ok with them intimidating the ref. I specifically chose the words “tell the 4th official to review” because usually managers are more level headed. Calling for a handball or offside because you think you’ve seen it isn’t intimidating the ref either, running up to the ref and crowding him is. 

Take a look at how rugby players respond to referees. That’s how it should be. 

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Take a look at how rugby players respond to referees. That’s how it should be. 

Same as American football 🏈 the punishment can be severe as in Rugby 🏉, so unless they make the punishment fit the crime and it potentially hurts the whole team then refs will always be surrounded and berated on a football pitch, it’s become an acceptable part of our game. 

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

Same as American football 🏈 the punishment can be severe as in Rugby 🏉, so unless they make the punishment fit the crime and it potentially hurts the whole team then refs will always be surrounded and berated on a football pitch, it’s become an acceptable part of our game. 

For what it’s worth, players in American football are constantly griping to the referees. They don’t do it as a collective unit but that has more to do with there  being so many areas of focus on an American football field (the guy getting held on one side has no idea what’s going on across the field) and the continuous play clock (you simply don’t have the time to gather around an official). The coaches on the other hand are constantly screaming at the refs.

Basketball and hockey are the same. In baseball you use replay a ton nowadays but it’s still pretty routine for a player to be ejected for arguing balls and strikes. 

I agree there should never be physical contact but these athletes and coaches are paid absurd amounts of money and face a ton of pressure as a result to perform and get results. I think it’s a little naive to think they won’t do everything within their power to get the most advantage they can for their side. Trying to get the officials to make calls that benefit your team is just part of the deal. 

Michael Keane, looks a proper defender now. Brilliant in the air.

As for James throwing imaginary yellow cards ... I'm disappointed..... Disappointed that this is the first time in years we've had a footballer with enough street smartness in him.  The pricks will have him on the injury table if we play nice old Everton.   

He knows how to play the game, I'm sick of us having the likes of Gerrard and Carragher ref our matches.  Maybe if the fairplay League wind us trophy's and millions of quid I'll look at it again..... Till then, fuck em

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

For what it’s worth, players in American football are constantly griping to the referees. They don’t do it as a collective unit but that has more to do with there  being so many areas of focus on an American football field (the guy getting held on one side has no idea what’s going on across the field) and the continuous play clock (you simply don’t have the time to gather around an official). The coaches on the other hand are constantly screaming at the refs.

Basketball and hockey are the same. In baseball you use replay a ton nowadays but it’s still pretty routine for a player to be ejected for arguing balls and strikes. 

I agree there should never be physical contact but these athletes and coaches are paid absurd amounts of money and face a ton of pressure as a result to perform and get results. I think it’s a little naive to think they won’t do everything within their power to get the most advantage they can for their side. Trying to get the officials to make calls that benefit your team is just part of the deal. 

I played for 3 years 30 years ago in the British league we were affiliated to and sponsored by the American League, playing under their regulations and rules, if we didn’t agree with a decision you couldn’t harangue the referees whether on the pitch or the sideline, if you did it would be a yellow flag and a 10 yard penalty which would hurt and could cost you a game, of course you were allowed to challenge a decision but only one man could question the ref at anyone time and he had to be polite and address him in the correct manner, and that was the criteria set down by the Americans, are you now saying that has changed since I played, and player’s now argue with the refs with no punishment. 

Apparently Van Dijk is out for the rest of the season. While he is a Red, I still hope he comes back strong. He is a quality player and I hate to see anyone suffer an injury like that.

I also hope it does not affect Pickford in a bad way, seeing someone injured because of your actions can have an effect.