IGNORED

Dele

RuffRob

Sod law will be that he can sign and play for free for any club in the World when his contract expires - except for Everton, as there will be something in the contact that if we offer him a new contract -Spurs get a decent wedge from us, be it the £10m for 20 games or possibly even more for a contract extension clause .

When he does sign for somebody else on a reduced wage he will then obviosely go on to be the player he once was.

I would definately like to see a Dele at or close to his best playing in an Everton shirt. 

Considering our budget constraints, paying the £10m for his potential return on the pitch is well worth the gamble. But I guess we'll be seeing who blinks first before his contract expires, us or Spurs.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Considering our budget constraints, paying the £10m for his potential return on the pitch is well worth the gamble. But I guess we'll be seeing who blinks first before his contract expires, us or Spurs.

Spurs don't need to blink, if we re-sign him then we owe them.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

It’s a dirty move but I have no doubt it’s something the top 6 would do but 777 own Genoa. Say Genoa sign him on a 2 yr deal & then loaned him to us for 2 years, we would be exempt to pay the 10 mil. Probably never do a deal with spurs again though.

9 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Pretty sure that could be challenged legally. The transfer is linked to the contract, the contract is no longer active. Regardless, considering the state of affairs, £10m for him isn't any more of a gamble than the frees and loans.

9 hours ago, Btay said:

It’s a dirty move but I have no doubt it’s something the top 6 would do but 777 own Genoa. Say Genoa sign him on a 2 yr deal & then loaned him to us for 2 years, we would be exempt to pay the 10 mil. Probably never do a deal with spurs again though.

Excellent point.  Genoa sign him on a free then sell him to Everton for £1. 

would that allow us to make a huge asset on the books? 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Pretty sure that could be challenged legally. The transfer is linked to the contract, the contract is no longer active. Regardless, considering the state of affairs, £10m for him isn't any more of a gamble than the frees and loans.

I just think spurs are pretty scummy in this. 

the lad was broken, he has praised us for looking after him. What did spurs do??? Flogged him. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Excellent point.  Genoa sign him on a free then sell him to Everton for £1. 

would that allow us to make a huge asset on the books? 

It’s very shady.

Hopefully we can have some sort of arrangement with Genoa, would be a good avenue for us with loans in or out. I’m not going suggest that would could loan our fringe players to them as I feel it’s the other way round at the moment.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

I just think spurs are pretty scummy in this. The lad was broken, he has praised us for looking after him. What did spurs do??? Flogged him. 

He wasn't good enough and they're a club in and around the Champions League places. Football is a business and they do business well, much better than us sadly. 

His off field issues were not known until his interview with Gary Neville. Spurs were right to move him on, 100%.

4 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

He wasn't good enough and they're a club in and around the Champions League places. Football is a business and they do business well, much better than us sadly. 

His off field issues were not known until his interview with Gary Neville. Spurs were right to move him on, 100%.

A sad as it is, I agreed. Spurs are a football business and not a mental health charity. 

I am sure Dele would love to stay on at Everton if we have indeed been well supporting him this year in particular, but unlike any other club this summer, its actually going to cost us to sign him.

It sounds like his head is in the right place, addictions under control and has new appitite for the game. Given his level was argubley the best attacking midfeilder in the world 5 years ago, he could still be a very good player. A very good Dele (rather than world class) is definately worth £10M - considering talk of Harrison being £20M. However, it's not just his mental health now, he has also been out with significant physical injury. I imagine it would be down to the wages we would have to pay on a new contract - Think we would have to be talking 50% pay cut, to help offset. I would have said time to keep away from players like this, but with him already being at the club the settling in to the club and area has already been done. 

A conversation for the end of the season when we are hopefully still a PL club and under new ownership who have a more focused plan.

58 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9280415/amp/England-international-Premier-League-star-hooked-sleeping-pills.html

this story was in 2021  one year before joining us.  The "unknown" players teammates knew.... you honestly don't think the club didn't?

the managers know absolutely everything as the clubs have spies everywhere. 

spurs got him on sleeping tablets - he even said their doctors gave them him to help with sleep after evening games. 

Spurs absolutely knew about their £100m rated asset - levy does not move on players that Real Madrid were looking at for £20m max on the drip unless he knew what we do now. 

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I just think spurs are pretty scummy in this. 

the lad was broken, he has praised us for looking after him. What did spurs do??? Flogged him. 

I'd put it on Levy rather than the club, but yeah I agree. I still see how they can legally ask for compensation for an expired contract though.

5 hours ago, Matt said:

I'd put it on Levy rather than the club, but yeah I agree. I still see how they can legally ask for compensation for an expired contract though.

I agree if and when he’s out of contract Spurs will have no say on where he can and can’t go and at what costs. 

25 minutes ago, StevO said:

Because Dele’s contract with Everton is up, that doesn’t mean Everton’s contract with Spurs is up. The deal will be water tight. 

Does anyone know what’s written in the contract, if they have made a provision in case he never played 20 games over 3 years then fair enough, but I find it difficult to believe that anyone would have considered that that would ever materialise, he came to us as a nailed on first teamer who wouldn’t struggle to get into a team well below his perceived standards. Unless of course Spurs new they were selling a player that wasn’t going to make the grade. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Because Dele’s contract with Everton is up, that doesn’t mean Everton’s contract with Spurs is up. The deal will be water tight. 

That can surely be challenged. In any case, if he has any future, he's worth that 10m gamble.

12 hours ago, Hafnia said:

The only way this would be water tight is if the shysters actually thought "what if he doesn't play 20 games in 3 years" - which if that was a clause they put in then they clearly knew he was in a bad place. 

Exactly. Could be a Bosman level event if he wanted it to be.

22 minutes ago, Matt said:

Exactly. Could be a Bosman level event if he wanted it to be.

Horrible club spurs. 

looks like they want gibbs-white in the summer...... its almost as though levy isn't looking at what he needs but "who can I get cheaper than they are worth"...

richarlison, Maddison, Brennan Johnson now gibbs-white.....  levy likes the psr stress invoked sales doesnt he?

I bet when British Home Stores staff were crying at the checkouts after finding out they had lost their jobs he was asking them when they would be marking their stock down.

twat 

I really hope he finds his way.

Us Evertonians forever remember players who 'did it' for us. That game he came on against Palace and absolutely smashed it means he has a place in our books.

If we can get him, I'm all for it.

I suspect he hasn't played more because of footy politics tbh. Which I think is a terrible position for a player.

Ross Barkley only has a year with Luton doesn't he? Imagine.

(Even though Barkley is still a twat...)

8 hours ago, patto said:

Dele has no future with us he hasn’t played for 12 months anyone would be mad to invest 10m in him. 

But only because of a bad injury. Anyone we look to take on will be costing us millions with no guarantee they'll perform either. I feel like if we pay and show him we have faith he'll perform. If we weren't strapped for cash I'd still consider keeping him on simply because we know what he can do. His natural talent is there, his fitness we can work on. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

But only because of a bad injury. Anyone we look to take on will be costing us millions with no guarantee they'll perform either. I feel like if we pay and show him we have faith he'll perform. If we weren't strapped for cash I'd still consider keeping him on simply because we know what he can do. His natural talent is there, his fitness we can work on. 

Much as I would like to support Dele, is it a risk worth taking? Not for me unfortunately.

13 minutes ago, Gwlad said:

Much as I would like to support Dele, is it a risk worth taking? Not for me unfortunately.

Too much of a risk for me 10 million may not seem like a lot of money but when you haven’t got any it’s a fortune, add to that 5-6 million a year on wages, for a player who hasn’t shown any signs of improvement for 5 years and it’s just too much of gamble. 

The right thing to do would be to asses him ore season and offer him what he is worth.

We won’t be able to afford a player of his ability for anywhere near that price.

We can’t punish the player for having an injury either. That would put us on a par with Spurs as far as morals go. 
Asses him and decide what his form and ability level is, and offer him his worth.

14 minutes ago, Shukes said:

The right thing to do would be to asses him ore season and offer him what he is worth.

We won’t be able to afford a player of his ability for anywhere near that price.

We can’t punish the player for having an injury either. That would put us on a par with Spurs as far as morals go. 
Asses him and decide what his form and ability level is, and offer him his worth.

How can we assess him he’s injured and his contract is over in 4 weeks, so if we keep him we have to make a gamble and pay him what he wants before seeing what we are going to be getting.