IGNORED

Leicester City (Away) Wednesday 16 December

markjazzbassist

13 minutes ago, Btay said:

I think Schmiechel made a world class save for the second and is absolutely not at fault. As for the first - pickfords been beaten like that before ( Bruno Fernandes last year ).

In saying that - I think pickford was rested because he may have had a thigh niggle? Olsen’s showed to be a capable deputy, Pickford is Carlo’s no.1. Pickford at his best is better than Olsen at his best however I think this competition will get Pickford playing at a higher level more consistently.

First one is very poor. The shot isn't that powerful and it's easily within reach.

Second one he should be getting more on it from the Keane header. Was straight at him and not that hard. (Brilliant reaction save to stop the follow up from DCL)

23 minutes ago, Btay said:

I think Schmiechel made a world class save for the second and is absolutely not at fault. As for the first - pickfords been beaten like that before ( Bruno Fernandes last year ).

In saying that - I think pickford was rested because he may have had a thigh niggle? Olsen’s showed to be a capable deputy, Pickford is Carlo’s no.1. Pickford at his best is better than Olsen at his best however I think this competition will get Pickford playing at a higher level more consistently.

Carlo said it was simply rotation.

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

First one is very poor. The shot isn't that powerful and it's easily within reach.

Second one he should be getting more on it from the Keane header. Was straight at him and not that hard. (Brilliant reaction save to stop the follow up from DCL)

I only agree about the first, but I find it strange that this won't go down as an error leading to a goal in the stats.

7 hours ago, Btay said:

Bit early for that pronouncement.  Hardly seen Olsen tested.

I assume you've never played in goal @markjazzbassist? The step to the left is exactly what Jordan should be doing, it's shifting his body weight towards where the ball is most likely to go (the top left corner) and by moving his body weight to his right foot, he can use this momentum as a springboard to cover the distance from where he is standing to the other side of the goal. 

What he does well is read pretty quickly that Mount has actually aimed for his near post, so he quickly shifts is body weight in the opposite direction and *just* about manages to cover the angle. 

He's actually done really, really well and I mean this in the nicest possible way (honestly) but the posts above show a real lack of understanding from a goalkeeping point of view.

2 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I assume you've never played in goal @markjazzbassist? The step to the left is exactly what Jordan should be doing, it's shifting his body weight towards where the ball is most likely to go (the top left corner) and by moving his body weight to his right foot, he can use this momentum as a springboard to cover the distance from where he is standing to the other side of the goal. 

What he does well is read pretty quickly that Mount has actually aimed for his near post, so he quickly shifts is body weight in the opposite direction and *just* about manages to cover the angle. 

He's actually done really, really well and I mean this in the nicest possible way (honestly) but the posts above show a real lack of understanding from a goalkeeping point of view.

Makes no sense in the laws of physics.  His momentum was going right (his right) and he had to shift and change direction (the ball ended up to his left).  He didn’t cover the corner because he was short due to going 2 feet to the right. Had he not done that move he would have covered the corner and post like all keepers do.  Going right to go left doesn’t make sense, keeper or not.  

14 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Makes no sense in the laws of physics.  His momentum was going right (his right) and he had to shift and change direction (the ball ended up to his left).  He didn’t cover the corner because he was short due to going 2 feet to the right. Had he not done that move he would have covered the corner and post like all keepers do.  Going right to go left doesn’t make sense, keeper or not.  

Re-read the post, you've completely missed the point.

40 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

What do you mean all keepers do, most keepers try to second guess where the player taking the free kick is going to place it, they watch hours of video footage of the players that take the free kicks for their teams, same as do with the penalty takers. Trust me every single keeper in the league as done the same thing more than once, it happens more now than it did years ago due to the skill of the dead ball takers and the movement of the ball, it wouldn’t be ridiculous to say that with the skill some players have they score just as many as they miss in those areas. 
I’ve seen plenty of saves where the balls gone over the wall and the keepers anticipated that and moved before the ball was kicked otherwise they wouldn’t have got to it, and I’ve seen hundreds of goals where the ball goes over the wall and the keeper hasn’t moved, I have the feeling with you because you dislike him he will be damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

What do you mean all keepers do, most keepers try to second guess where the player taking the free kick is going to place it, they watch hours of video footage of the players that take the free kicks for their teams, same as do with the penalty takers. Trust me every single keeper in the league as done the same thing more than once, it happens more now than it did years ago due to the skill of the dead ball takers and the movement of the ball, it wouldn’t be ridiculous to say that with the skill some players have they score just as many as they miss in those areas. 
I’ve seen plenty of saves where the balls gone over the wall and the keepers anticipated that and moved before the ball was kicked otherwise they wouldn’t have got to it, and I’ve seen hundreds of goals where the ball goes over the wall and the keeper hasn’t moved, I have the feeling with you because you dislike him he will be damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t. 

I believe you are talking about penalties in which case you’re right then they just guess and go with it.  Jordan has guessed and gone for it before he’s even kicked the ball.  Again there is no reason for this.  It’s not a penalty, it was outside the box he had time.  Had the guy placed it better it would have been a goal that was save-able. 

13 hours ago, MikeO said:

Absolutely, I've rarely seen a better example of a 'keeper standing still and catching the ball.

I've seen some keepers so erratic that the make unnecessary movements or flap at the attempt.  

It was nice to see the keeper on his toes - and by on his toes I don't mean him making unnecessary jumps.  Thinking Newcastle dive backwards

About Pickford's pre free kick "step"...

He lines up his wall, gets his near side covered which leaves his a body lengths dive to the far side...... So why does he take a step to the covered side??? He's made the far post unreachable - if the taker beats the wall and gets it under the bar then fair enough, but he made it so he couldn't make far post. 

2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

if the taker beats the wall and gets it under the bar then fair enough, but he made it so he couldn't make far post. 

Good keepers don’t except that fair enough mentality they hate conceding in any circumstances, dead ball kicks around the area with the movement of the ball and the ability of the players are close to being like penalties, I don’t want a keeper who marks his “post” and when the ball goes over or under the wall goes fair play not my fault like water of a ducks back, I want a keeper who’s done his homework and tries to stop a goal no matter what side it’s on. 
And like I said earlier most good and world class keepers try to anticipate where the balls going just like it’s a penalty. 

50 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Good keepers don’t except that fair enough mentality they hate conceding in any circumstances, dead ball kicks around the area with the movement of the ball and the ability of the players are close to being like penalties, I don’t want a keeper who marks his “post” and when the ball goes over or under the wall goes fair play not my fault like water of a ducks back, I want a keeper who’s done his homework and tries to stop a goal no matter what side it’s on. 
And like I said earlier most good and world class keepers try to anticipate where the balls going just like it’s a penalty. 

There is no point in having a wall in that case, if you don't trust the wall then it will hinder you.

There is no way a keeper can anticipate whether the taker is going near or far post with a wall blocking his view as the action from that type of strike is an open body and in to out strike.  The fact that Pickford is shorter than 4 of the players in the wall adds to this.  

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

There is no point in having a wall in that case, if you don't trust the wall then it will hinder you.

There is no way a keeper can anticipate whether the taker is going near or far post with a wall blocking his view as the action from that type of strike is an open body and in to out strike.  The fact that Pickford is shorter than 4 of the players in the wall adds to this.  

Of course you would have a wall regardless of what the keeper does, if the can block it great then there’s no discussion, how do you feed about keepers who make a save on a shot that’s gone over the wall into the top corner, do you moan that they shouldn’t have made that save when it’s clear they gambled and left the post they were covering to get across, no of course you don’t. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

Of course you would have a wall regardless of what the keeper does, if the can block it great then there’s no discussion, how do you feed about keepers who make a save on a shot that’s gone over the wall into the top corner, do you moan that they shouldn’t have made that save when it’s clear they gambled and left the post they were covering to get across, no of course you don’t. 

If the keeper takes a step wall side which exposes an unreachable dive to cover far post because he doesn't trust the wall then don't have one. But that's as daft as taking a step to the near side. 

There was debate after an England game that Pickford told the wall not to jump for mertens free kick, he is playing for low percentage outcomes and exposing himself to keeper error for the most likely option for the taker. 

We have an average height of 6ft 3 in that wall, with a jump it's unlikely the taker gets it up and down with the pace required to make it impossible for Pickford to get across.   A free kick taker would much prefer the odds of a low harder strike which will often result in a corner at worst. 

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

This thread is stressing me out really more than it should. People with the mentality of "well, the wall should have covered that goal no worries lads" have left me speechless to be honest.

Jesus absolute wept.

On top of 6 points and 2 clean sheets, it’s utterly baffling 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

On top of 6 points and 2 clean sheets, it’s utterly baffling 

It’s nick picking to the extreme, they won’t be happy till he’s made a mistake that leads to a goal so they can stake their claim that they were right all along. 
It’s like being accused of being a witch years ago they dunk you in the village pond for 15 minutes if you drowned they were right if you survived your innocent 😇. What chance does he have not lost us a single point this season on the contrary he’s gained us 6,7 or 8 not bad for a shit keeper it’s a shame some of our MF and defenders weren’t that shit, we could have been top of the league still.