IGNORED

Leicester City (Away) Wednesday 16 December

markjazzbassist

Didn't want to post as it would have bitten me on the arse, but I've never been so comfortable watching a game of football - even at 1-0. We made Leicester look very, very ordinary and fully deserved the win. I suppose you could say we got the rub of the green with Kasper spilling the first shot but they never ever looked dangerous and there was only going to ever be one winner. 

So hard to pick a MOTM, only person that fucked me off was André for diving in like that to give the over-turned penalty, although he did well overall. Richarlison gets a special mention for a wonderful goal and a proper shithouse second half where he broke up any momentum from Leicester by rolling around on the floor for a good hour or so, exactly what I want to see at 1-0. 

Absolutely buzzing, two points off top is that? Happy fucking days. Just please, please keep Arteta until the weekend Arsenal.

Wasn't able to watch all the match but caught most of the second half.

It wasn’t pretty but it was exactly the type of performance that was needed. Its amazing how many teams in the league this season especially struggling to break organised sides down.

I thought the back 4 looked like they had played together for years they were that in tune. Doucoure in midfield did almost everything and the other two were alright. The Allan injury didn't look good as I imagine he is the type that will always want to walk off rather than be stretchered. 

The front 3 did their bit too but Leicester will be kicking themselves over the opener. Poor defending from Justin, as he did all game, and poor from Schmeichel too. It was a massive first goal and it suited our game plan. Isnt it nice to see other sides make sloppy mistakes for a change! 

A quick glimpse of the table shows us in 5th for the time being and with Arsenal getting a point at Southampton despite ten men, it keeps them close too and means their best CB is out for the game against us! 

On a slight side note, did anyone else find the VAR review a bit odd? They only showed the ref one inconclusive angle of the foul. 

What is the point of the ref having the opportunity to view the incident again if he only gets one of the many camera angles? Regardless of whether it was the right decision or not, at least give the onfield ref the benefit of all the angles of the incident.

9 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Didn't want to post as it would have bitten me on the arse, but I've never been so comfortable watching a game of football - even at 1-0. We made Leicester look very, very ordinary and fully deserved the win. I suppose you could say we got the rub of the green with Kasper spilling the first shot but they never ever looked dangerous and there was only going to ever be one winner. 

So hard to pick a MOTM, only person that fucked me off was André for diving in like that to give the over-turned penalty, although he did well overall. Richarlison gets a special mention for a wonderful goal and a proper shithouse second half where he broke up any momentum from Leicester by rolling around on the floor for a good hour or so, exactly what I want to see at 1-0. 

Absolutely buzzing, two points off top is that? Happy fucking days. Just please, please keep Arteta until the weekend Arsenal.

Gabriel got a red card too...

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

On a slight side note, did anyone else find the VAR review a bit odd? They only showed the ref one inconclusive angle of the foul. 

What is the point of the ref having the opportunity to view the incident again if he only gets one of the many camera angles? Regardless of whether it was the right decision or not, at least give the onfield ref the benefit of all the angles of the incident.

I assume that perhaps the referee could ask for more angles if needed? From the angle he saw (the best one) you could see that André got a touch on the ball which allowed Mason to make the correct decision.

It's even more corrupt in Portugal though, as the VAR cameras are controlled by a TV station owned by Benfica 😋.

27 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

We've probably played better in the last 2 games than we did when we were unbeaten.

There's a methodology about us. 

I think it just players are now beginning to get to know each other on the pitch. There will still be bumps in the road, but we are starting to see a really good foundation in the middle of the field being in built.

6 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I think it just players are now beginning to get to know each other on the pitch. There will still be bumps in the road, but we are starting to see a really good foundation in the middle of the field being in built.

I know it’s going to sound like I have an axe to grind, but I thinks it’s more that we’ve got balance on both flanks with wingers who also put in good defensive shifts which is bringing so much more structure and breeds consistency. 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

I know it’s going to sound like I have an axe to grind, but I thinks it’s more that we’ve got balance on both flanks with wingers who also put in good defensive shifts which is bringing so much more structure and breeds consistency. 

not so sure it balance on the flanks - it just a lot more defensive and solid, will naturally happen with two centre halves playing at backs,  this will change as not really a great deal going forward so can't set up like this for every game. Its not looking a bad way to play against stronger teams team in which we start the game as underdogs. 

Sounds like you have a strong argument that Iwobi starts on the right ahead of James!! Now a tide turns.

22 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I assume that perhaps the referee could ask for more angles if needed? From the angle he saw (the best one) you could see that André got a touch on the ball which allowed Mason to make the correct decision.

It's even more corrupt in Portugal though, as the VAR cameras are controlled by a TV station owned by Benfica 😋.

I don't know, I'm not really sure how much communication there is? 

Even on that angle, it wasnt one I wouldnt be confident of calling. The clearest one looked to be the one after the decision was made, but I guess that depends on who your broadcaster was. 

That's incredible about Portugal though! 

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

Agreed, with this formation we have (mostly) round pegs in round holes which makes such a difference. Iwobi looks like a player reborn in this formation, and our midfield looks solid.

I have been a critic of Siggy, and with good cause, but in the last 2 games he has played very well. Having said that the chance to have James playing in his favourite role, with his quality is a great temptation, I would not resist.

Another great team performance and another game where EVERYONE played really well. Great time to be a Blue. COYB!!

23 minutes ago, Matt said:

100% and I think the manager is starting to realise you can’t have players who don’t work hard, if they can’t do the minutes and the running back that’s fine, give them the last 20-30 minutes if you’re chasing it, but two clean sheets with two wins proves keeping it tight with everyone working to keep a clean sheet is the way forward. 

That's 2 solid performances on the bounce, very pleased with the spirt that's now evident.

On the down side that's a big loss with Alan, a month at least the way he could not walk off the pitch.

Yes VAR got it right, but you never make a tackle like that from behind in the box, big fan of Gomes, but he's not the same player since his injury, hopefully he will get there.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

So when we won 7 on the bounce at the beginning of the season it was just some sort of fluke?

We didn't see a lot of the ball in the game, I'd prefer us to get on the ball a bit more if I'm honest, but once again it was a tough and gritty performance from the whole 11.

In the first half we were solid and compact and apart from 1 or 2 occasions I didn't really feel like we were under pressure, despite the lack of possession for us. Richarlison finally got the goal he's been striving for for the past few weeks, and even though the keeper should have done better with it if you don't shoot then you don't score. Shooting from distance is something we need to do more of. We also had other chances in the game so, like the Chelsea game, it wasn't like we just sat in and just defended for our lives.

The second half wasn't quite as plain sailing. I thought we looked very tired (which is a worry with us playing again on Saturday) and there was a bit of a backs against the wall performance from us. But the defence was fucking superb and Doucoure protected them as much as possible, he was everywhere. And when the opportunity arrived we took our chance and finished the game off.

Another three points and another clean sheet to go with it. Come on you blues!

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

So when we won 7 on the bounce at the beginning of the season it was just some sort of fluke?

Of course. Nothing to do with us having fullbacks and our starting, fit back 4. We had the balance then. Our poor patch coincided with the fullbacks getting injured/suspended and playing patchwork with players that couldn’t play there/slowly adapted. But if you want to be flippant; so us comfortably winning the last 2 games, with clean sheets, against better opposition without carrying a luxury player who doesn’t defend is just some sort of fluke?

4 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

We have VAR to thank for getting a point out of the derby

I disagree somewhat. The value in VAR isn’t in getting offsides right, that’s strictly camera technology and drawing lines. Its in getting split second penalty decisions and violent conduct reviews correct. By and large it has done a really bad job at both. 

54 minutes ago, Matt said:

Of course. Nothing to do with us having fullbacks and our starting, fit back 4. We had the balance then. Our poor patch coincided with the fullbacks getting injured/suspended and playing patchwork with players that couldn’t play there/slowly adapted. But if you want to be flippant; so us comfortably winning the last 2 games, with clean sheets, against better opposition without carrying a luxury player who doesn’t defend is just some sort of fluke?

You made out like we only have structure and consistency because of better balance, but that isn’t true because we showed earlier in the season that we were capable of winning then and winning well. And he does defend, he just doesn’t defend all of the time. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that when his job is to attack. Carlo has even said he’s told him that his job is to attack and not defend. 

There was no flippancy, flower. 

7 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

You made out like we only have structure and consistency because of better balance, but that isn’t true because we showed earlier in the season that we were capable of winning then and winning well. And he does defend, he just doesn’t defend all of the time. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that when his job is to attack. Carlo has even said he’s told him that his job is to attack and not defend. 

There was no flippancy, flower. 

Not sure what’s so hard to understand about us having our full backs fit at the beginning of the season offered better balance and structure and catered for James but ok 

As for the flippancy part, certainly came across that way but fair enough. 

9 hours ago, pete0 said:

Just watched the goals again. Mad how some of our fans want rid of Pickford yet he'd have done better than Schmiechel for both the goals today. 

I think Schmiechel made a world class save for the second and is absolutely not at fault. As for the first - pickfords been beaten like that before ( Bruno Fernandes last year ).

In saying that - I think pickford was rested because he may have had a thigh niggle? Olsen’s showed to be a capable deputy, Pickford is Carlo’s no.1. Pickford at his best is better than Olsen at his best however I think this competition will get Pickford playing at a higher level more consistently.