IGNORED

Aston Villa (Away) Sunday 17 December

markjazzbassist

they are hurting from covid not sure if this will be played or not.  smell the blood in the water and kick them while they are down.  let's hope DCL is back and we can go close to full strength.

Pickford

Coleman Mina Keane Digne

Davies 

James Gomes

Iwobi       DCL     Richarlison

Across the pond all we have are twitter rumors - anyone closer to the action have better info on whether this will be played or not? It seems harsh on Villa to only have one day of training but at the same time teams continue to find ways to postpone matches and the season will be difficult to finish as a result. I'd think you should play as long as you have enough COVID-free bodies - regardless of the amount of preparation you were able to have. 

38 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Across the pond all we have are twitter rumors - anyone closer to the action have better info on whether this will be played or not? It seems harsh on Villa to only have one day of training but at the same time teams continue to find ways to postpone matches and the season will be difficult to finish as a result. I'd think you should play as long as you have enough COVID-free bodies - regardless of the amount of preparation you were able to have. 

I think given that they have a few fixtures to fulfill already, they might end up playing this one too. As harsh as it sounds I hope it does go ahead and we have to play their kids, gives us three points which as an Evertonian is all I want from the game. 

A decision is expected to be made imminently according to the news outlets over here so perhaps we will have clarity shortly. 

4 hours ago, StevO said:

If this goes ahead while half of their team is out, after City got their game cancelled, it would be a joke. 

But if it does go ahead, we just have to beat them. 

I think it depends on whether they have the outbreak at the club under control. 

From what I have read, it doesnt sound like it and therefore its likely to be off.

27 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think it depends on whether they have the outbreak at the club under control. 

From what I have read, it doesnt sound like it and therefore its likely to be off.

This is what makes all of this so difficult. I think Villa should be 'punished' if you will because it is their fault they haven't controlled the outbreak. It is very difficult to keep players/staff from getting COVID but it is not difficult to control an outbreak. Positive test, contact trace, everyone stays away from the facility, 10 days later you're back in business. City and Newcastle got it right. Villa clearly is not. 

1 hour ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

This is what makes all of this so difficult. I think Villa should be 'punished' if you will because it is their fault they haven't controlled the outbreak. It is very difficult to keep players/staff from getting COVID but it is not difficult to control an outbreak. Positive test, contact trace, everyone stays away from the facility, 10 days later you're back in business. City and Newcastle got it right. Villa clearly is not. 

I don't think it is. 

If the players that are positive are asymptomatic they will only know they have the virus after a positive test. They could have infected lots of people in that time between tests. 

Add in false negative tests and that there can be a delay between getting the virus and then testing positive forward if you get the virus it can get to a lot of people in a short space of time. 

After reading a couple of articles, the 10 days you referred to ends on Sunday. It is something that could happen to any club and I wouldn't want Everton to be punished in the same circs or to be given a gimme as a result.

3 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

agreed.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I don't think it is. 

If the players that are positive are asymptomatic they will only know they have the virus after a positive test. They could have infected lots of people in that time between tests. 

Add in false negative tests and that there can be a delay between getting the virus and then testing positive forward if you get the virus it can get to a lot of people in a short space of time. 

After reading a couple of articles, the 10 days you referred to ends on Sunday. It is something that could happen to any club and I wouldn't want Everton to be punished in the same circs or to be given a gimme as a result.

actually it is.  the NFL has been dealing with it all season.  my cleveland browns have had players testing positive every week.  they do exaclty what albany said, close facility, contact trace, quarantine those in close contact, more tests (everyone is tested twice daily) and re-open with non-positive non-close contact players.  guess what?  no outbreak.  they are all getting it from outside people.  it does work.  the false negatives are easy to weed out, more tests weeds them out.

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

Given that Fulham, after all the Covid problems they have were ordered to play Spurs tonight (Premier League at their finest again) I can see the Villa game going ahead. 

It’s strange.

Ill be extremely pissed off if our game against city is rescheduled and we have a few key players out with positive tests at that point.

Just now, milesey05 said:

Not a bad thing really. DCL will hopefully be fit for next Prem game, Richy back to full fitness and maybe a Jan signing or 2. 

Didn't help us much last time did it - out of the cup and then lost to West Ham :lol:.

What's the betting that when we have to play these postponed games we have a load of injuries? Or some covid cases of our own and are told we have to play the games? Everton that :P 

7 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Didn't help us much last time did it - out of the cup and then lost to West Ham :lol:.

What's the betting that when we have to play these postponed games we have a load of injuries? Or some covid cases of our own and are told we have to play the games? Everton that :P 

Pessimistic- something i would normally write 😉, but i know where you're coming from. 

Forgot to mention Allan too. We could have a full strength team for 2 home games at the end of the month. 

16 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

agreed.

actually it is.  the NFL has been dealing with it all season.  my cleveland browns have had players testing positive every week.  they do exaclty what albany said, close facility, contact trace, quarantine those in close contact, more tests (everyone is tested twice daily) and re-open with non-positive non-close contact players.  guess what?  no outbreak.  they are all getting it from outside people.  it does work.  the false negatives are easy to weed out, more tests weeds them out.

https://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/id/30637133/cleveland-browns-close-facility-3rd-4-days-another-positive-covid-19-test

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2021/1/10/22223696/browns-covid-steelers-playoff-out-list-joel-bitonio

There have been enough breakouts in world sport to know that it isn't a straight forward task.

They don't close down the facility after one or two testing positive because that would be an over-reaction. They monitor the situation to see if it develops. When the next round of testing takes place, then you are able to see the impact. The training ground can then only re-open when the people returning come back with a negative test. However for every positive test that comes back, that time frame has to be delayed because there is a delay in the onset of symptoms (and therefore whether they would be picked up by a test). Once that isolation period has been determined (which was Sunday for Villa) then they can return. It wouldn't surprise me if Villa have had further positive cases in the interim period.

The other thing you need to consider is that the UK variant is much more transmissible that the one that is dominant in the States. If the Browns had the variant we have here, then it would have spread a lot further and faster.

the uk variant is a good point bailey, but i still fault Villa, they can and should be doing more.  plus it's the responsibility of the players to be smart and have a small bubble.  thankfully our players seem to be mature and limit outside contact.  as to the browns, there was never an outbreak the CDC and NFL both said browns are doing everything well and are a model team in how they handle it.  it was all coming from the outside.  Villa looks more like an outbreak.

On 14/01/2021 at 19:21, London Blue said:

Have more sympathy with the villa game being cancelled, they have struggled with Covid so understandable.

I feel the same way and I always do the ‘Everton’ test. If we were in Villa’s situation (who are also doing superbly in the league) would we be happy to play and field a team full of u18s. I could only imagine what we would be saying on here. Also how’s that fair on the other 18 clubs in the league that almost get a free 3 points and a chance to significantly increase their goal difference. That’s where the problem really is to maintain the integrity of the league. Somehow those over the park were allowed to bypass that for the FA Cup.