IGNORED

Manchester City (Away) Sunday 23 May

markjazzbassist

28 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Even if Gylfi had buried that penalty, wouldn't have made a difference. They've been the class of the league all season, we have the mentality of a field mouse

Not quite. They were shit up until about December, sat about 10th. They were getting written off all over. Just shows what a good team mentality can achieve when all the boys pull in together and go at it.

Good grief that was a hard watch. Basically no one on the bench so the need for a good summer this summer. Still better than when Big Sam was in charge. Also, shutter to think where we would be without our signings last summer? Probably a relegation battle. It’s a process and this summer is once again very important. 

The way we played since Xmas has been terrible - at least finishing 10th and getting a bit of a battering on the last day, and finishing on a negative goals means nowhere to hid in this summers transfer window if we are serious about being a team that can challenge. As lot of these players as inadequate to be challenging for the top. I am glad in a way didn't sneak in to Europe be some fortunate fluke on the last day and somehow papered over any cracks. 

Needs to be some serious sole searching this summer. I think Ancelotti has the toughest job he has ever had on his hands next year.

This really is a sorry tale of how clubs can fook up when they have money to spend, and try and rush building a team - this place still has the stench of players being paid more than they are worth. This unwanted culture has been about the club for four or five years, and is proving extremely hard to shake off. 

Today's performance is not where the problem lies. 10th place was cemented when we lost to Sheff Utd at home.

Man City where going to tear apart whoever they played today - a chance to show off in a no pressure game in front of their fan for the first time this season. 

1 minute ago, RuffRob said:

The way we played since Xmas has been terrible - at least finishing 10th and getting a bit of a battering on the last day, and finishing on a negative goals means nowhere to hid in this summers transfer window if we are serious about being a team that can challenge. As lot of these players as inadequate to be challenging for the top. I am glad in a way didn't sneak in to Europe be some fortunate fluke on the last day and somehow papered over any cracks. 

Needs to be some serious sole searching this summer. I think Ancelotti has the toughest job he has ever had on his hands next year.

This really is a sorry tale of how clubs can fook up when they have money to spend, and try and rush building a team - this place still has the stench of players being paid more than they are worth. This unwanted culture has been about the club for four or five years, and is proving extremely hard to shake off. 

Today's performance is not where the problem lies. 10th place was cemented when we lost to Sheff Utd at home.

Man City where going to tear apart whoever they played today - a chance to show off in a no pressure game in front of their fan for the first time this season. 

There's a great discount place near me, picked up a nice pair of wingtip dress shoes for half off

We’re saying the same things we’ve been saying for years - nowhere for these players to hide etc and they’re still here and we’re still shite.

It won’t be long into next season that the same thing of this is just a building season don’t expect much will be getting said.

Nothing will change until everything changes. 

43 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Nothing will change until everything changes. 

I get what you’re saying, but we have changed we are pretty much as a team and business unrecognisable from 4-5 years ago. 
We have a billionaire owner who’s spending on players has as more than quadrupled on the years before he arrived. 
We have supposedly got one of the best directors of football in the game. 
We have supposedly one of the best coaches in the game. 
What other changes can we make yet as you rightly say changes are required, considering the changes we have made, what’s left is the changes to our mentality whether players or supporters we have to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and believe we can do better, otherwise the other option is to say that the changes that have been made are the wrong ones.

24 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I get what you’re saying, but we have changed we are pretty much as a team and business unrecognisable from 4-5 years ago. 
We have a billionaire owner who’s spending on players has as more than quadrupled on the years before he arrived. 
We have supposedly got one of the best directors of football in the game. 
We have supposedly one of the best coaches in the game. 
What other changes can we make yet as you rightly say changes are required, considering the changes we have made, what’s left is the changes to our mentality whether players or supporters we have to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and believe we can do better, otherwise the other option is to say that the changes that have been made are the wrong ones.

You’ve answered your own question by talking about what hasn’t changed! Mentality is a big thing with this club, in terms of (a lot of) the fans as much as the players.

We have the money. We have the manager. I do believe we have the right DoF. We have to start being ruthless, we are far too accommodating. A key example of this is Gylfi Sigurdsson. He is not fit for purpose and we should be going nowhere near extending his time here. But so many of our fans think this is a good idea and Carlo has even alluded to it as well. It’s fucking madness. While he might be a good pro he brings nothing to the table for us, other than the odd game here and there. We should be doing all we can to get rid of him (and others). And if we can’t get rid of him this summer then don’t play him, leave him to rot and use other players. It might not be nice but the aim of the game is to win, not be nice. 

7 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

And if we can’t get rid of him this summer then don’t play him, leave him to rot and use other players. It might not be nice but the aim of the game is to win, not be nice. 

Problem is, we can’t do this with Gylfi, Gomes, Iwobi, Delph, Tosun and Bernard - all will be under contract next season - expensive contracts! Probably over £600k a week there and god knows how much in transfer fees/ signing on fees. Sadly, this can’t just be written off and we need to claw back what little we still can on these players. Each one is very easy to replace/upgrade - the problem is, finding someone to take them off our hands. Over to you Marcel!!!

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I’m not saying don’t sell them. Do everything possible to get rid of them if they’re deemed not good enough, but if we can’t shift them then don’t play them and certainly don’t be fucking giving them a new contract! Gylfi has a year to go, it makes zero sense to renew with him when he’s not adding anything now, is of the wrong age profile and also slower than a corpse. We can definitely afford to let him rot for a season and that’s the type of ruthlessness we need to be displaying. Stop letting players take the piss out of us, I’m sick to fucking death of it. 

I agree but the problem’s much more than just Gylfi so if we can’t get them sold then we can’t let them all rot - sadly, we’ll see some of them in the squad next season.

I want Brentford to come up but am clinging on to an emotional return to Swansea for him this summer if they do.

1 minute ago, c1982 said:

I agree but the problem’s much more than just Gylfi so if we can’t get them sold then we can’t let them all rot - sadly, we’ll see some of them in the squad next season.

I want Brentford to come up but am clinging on to an emotional return to Swansea for him this summer if they do.

Of course we will but we have to start somewhere and send that message to the rest of them. And then stop making the same mistakes. Delph will only have a year left as well won’t he? Please tell me that’s the case :lol:. He’s another who can rot. Tosun won’t even be fit for a lot of the season so he’ll be letting himself rot and maybe we’ll bring a striker in this summer so even when the spray on hair waste of space is fit there’ll be no place for him. Bernard will more than likely go this summer. I can cope with Gomes and Iwobi being around a bit longer I suppose.

If they’re not adding anything then even still around they’re a waste of wages regardless. I don’t want them on the pitch. It’s as simple as that.

That’s our major problem - players who offer little or nothing taking up squad places. 100% we’d have signed more attacking players last summer had it not been for Bolasie, Walcott (still had to contribute 50%), Bernard, Iwobi and Tosun - £200m+ investment when you add wages etc. We’ve got the money to cope with this but FFP meant we couldn’t add as many as we needed. Hopefully, we’re going to stick fingers up at FFP after the Super League shite.

1 minute ago, c1982 said:

That’s our major problem - players who offer little or nothing taking up squad places. 100% we’d have signed more attacking players last summer had it not been for Bolasie, Walcott (still had to contribute 50%), Bernard, Iwobi and Tosun - £200m+ investment when you add wages etc. We’ve got the money to cope with this but FFP meant we couldn’t add as many as we needed. Hopefully, we’re going to stick fingers up at FFP after the Super League shite.

I hope we do and we should have more wiggle room anyway with a lot of wages coming off the books.

Im just do fucked off with it all. I’m a passionate blue (we all are) and it gets right under my skin after games like today. We’ve got to change things in a big way because, like I said, nothing will change until everything changes. 

Try and ship Gomes, Bernard and Tosun abroad. Brentford might be interested in Iwobi if they come up. I'm not one calling for Gylfi's head but if Swansea come up could he be of interest to them especially if he's not a certain starter for us?