IGNORED

Southampton (Home) Saturday 14 August

markjazzbassist

6 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It was said on MOTD as well so I think it’s accurate. 

Was it? Missed that, and I watched it again this morning while sober so no excuse:unsure: 

I did check the 2015 game though, it was West Brom away when we were 1-0 at HT, then 2-0 before Rom (twice) and Koné turned it round.

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

Everything you say about Keane you deflect with how Holgate was worse, or even to blame.

Shocking, but Holgate should have saved him.

Keane was bullied by one but Holgate bullied by both.

You even blame Holgate for us not having a foothold in the game compared to Keane being rocky. He wasn't rocky, he was an absolute shambles and that's even without the mistake.

Yes Holgate has a face like a slapped arse but the lad isn't playing badly. Similar happens with Davies too, used to see the same shite from the fans about Fellaini as well. One looks arrogant, one looks like a skateboarder and the other gangly. Rarely actually judged on their football. 

It will be interesting to see how Holgate gets on this season. He wasn't great last year, but the whispers are that he was a little frustrated at the lack of 'coaching' they where receiving last year, particularly defensive. 

Give their ages, I would to see Holgate and Godfrey working together to be the long term starting CB partnership. It could be around for 10year+ if the can build a relationship. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

It was Keane’s fault 100% I think he even bamboozled Holgate who didn’t really know what he was trying to do. A player in Holgate’s position with more experience would have dropped 10 or 12 yards to give Keane an option to pass when he turned back towards his goal, Holgate just stayed so when Keane turned there was less than 2 yards between them with 2 players all over him. But ultimately Keane’s fucking about caused the goal 

If he dropped half our fans would moan he's not closed him down like Gana would have I bet.

22 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I'd buy one if it was available for sure.

They sold out pretty fast. I clicked the link on the day but nothing come up.

Hummel have a non Everton associated version but only the smaller sizes left. Hopefully they do another run with Everton on.

https://www.hummel.co.uk/hmlflag-pro-t-shirt-l-s-multi-col./212771-6700.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw9uKIBhA8EiwAYPUS3DfuxxaF-6MJsG5ayx6hlZgmgyledKSDQ3yyPg0DRDpWqVKpYRd4LBoCNu4QAvD_BwE

22 hours ago, pete0 said:

Everything you say about Keane you deflect with how Holgate was worse, or even to blame.

Shocking, but Holgate should have saved him.

Keane was bullied by one but Holgate bullied by both.

You even blame Holgate for us not having a foothold in the game compared to Keane being rocky. He wasn't rocky, he was an absolute shambles and that's even without the mistake.

Yes Holgate has a face like a slapped arse but the lad isn't playing badly. Similar happens with Davies too, used to see the same shite from the fans about Fellaini as well. One looks arrogant, one looks like a skateboarder and the other gangly. Rarely actually judged on their football.

Ok Pete, maybe I didn't phrase it perfectly for you but Keane was very poor. Like you have said, it was one of his worst displays for the first 60 minutes or so and he has had some whoppers. He got a little bit tangled up before the goal and then he completely lost the plot for the goal. I pointed out that Keane was bullied by Armstrong, because of the size difference, that doesn't mean he wasn't bullied by both. Holgate was noticeably bulled by Adams at almost every challenge, whereas Keane wasn't. Keane was caught more off balance by Armstrong in truth, making him look completely ragged and frazzled. He couldn't deal with the combination of his speed and his strength.

Holgate wasn't as bad, but he was still well below the level required. Whilst he was put in the shit by Keane, he could have still done a lot better for the goal. What he did was comical if I am honest. Holgate's long passing was atrocious. They weren't even anywhere near the man so that they could put in a challenge. Holgate was basically hoofing the ball away, giving Southampton possession, when he was under little or no pressure himself. I thought Holgate was better in the second half.

I didn't intend to give the impression that either of them played anywhere near well enough and in fairness I do not think I did, but I hope that clears it up for you.

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

Ok Pete, maybe I didn't phrase it perfectly for you but Keane was very poor. Like you have said, it was one of his worst displays for the first 60 minutes or so and he has had some whoppers. He got a little bit tangled up before the goal and then he completely lost the plot for the goal. I pointed out that Keane was bullied by Armstrong, because of the size difference, that doesn't mean he wasn't bullied by both. Holgate was noticeably bulled by Adams at almost every challenge, whereas Keane wasn't. Keane was caught more off balance by Armstrong in truth, making him look completely ragged and frazzled. He couldn't deal with the combination of his speed and his strength.

Holgate wasn't as bad, but he was still well below the level required. Whilst he was put in the shit by Keane, he could have still done a lot better for the goal. What he did was comical if I am honest. Holgate's long passing was atrocious. They weren't even anywhere near the man so that they could put in a challenge. Holgate was basically hoofing the ball away, giving Southampton possession, when he was under little or no pressure himself. I thought Holgate was better in the second half.

I didn't intend to give the impression that either of them played anywhere near well enough and in fairness I do not think I did, but I hope that clears it up for you.

Problem is since we’ve signed Keane there’s been excuses or reasons to paper over the fact that he just isn’t good enough consistently. When he does muster up a run of form for 10 or so games he looks like someone who could play for a side pushing Europe but he lets himself down far too often.

16 hours ago, Btay said:

Problem is since we’ve signed Keane there’s been excuses or reasons to paper over the fact that he just isn’t good enough consistently. When he does muster up a run of form for 10 or so games he looks like someone who could play for a side pushing Europe but he lets himself down far too often.

Yeh I agree. The problem for us is that he is probably the most consistent CB we have in respect of fitness and form.

It was noticeable that we played a lot higher up the pitch on Saturday than we did under Ancellotti and it was no surprise to see Keane very uncomfortable through the game. I don't know if we will stay that high up the pitch as the season goes on, but it might be an awkward season for Keane if we do!