IGNORED

Southampton (Home) Saturday 14 August

markjazzbassist

Credit where it's due... The performance in the second half was strong, especially compared to what was tossed up first half.

I liked what Gray did today, and think he could be important this season.  Townsend worked hard and Doucoure second half was top.  

Holgate and Keane caused palpations every time they went near the ball.

probably best result Rafa could have hoped for - coming back from a losing position, change in tactics/formation, big reaction from the team. Even ended up winning comfortably at the end. When did that last happen! A result where a manager made the calls and they worked. 

It's was just the start we all needed after the past few months.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

For those lucky enough to be there what was atmosphere like at full time, did Rafa applaud the fans and did they respond in kind. 

It was a really good atmosphere at the end, Coleman or Rafa got the squad to do a lap of the ground applauding the fans, which was very well received.  I think he will have won many over today, more so if we can respond as well in other games. Southampton were OK especially when we gifted them the lead, a good finish from Armstrong, who looked good all game, and apart from the many corners weren’t a real threat for the rest of the game.

3 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

It was a really good atmosphere at the end, Coleman or Rafa got the squad to do a lap of the ground applauding the fans, which was very well received.  I think he will have won many over today, more so if we can respond as well in other games. Southampton were OK especially when we gifted them the lead, a good finish from Armstrong, who looked good all game, and apart from the many corners weren’t a real threat for the rest of the game.

I don't think Jordan made a save all match did he? Certainly not that I saw.

Just now, MikeO said:

I don't think Jordan made a save all match did he? Certainly not that I saw.

I cant think of any, he did really well from the corners as they were literally aimed at him but I don't recall a save that he had to make of note.

The goal he couldn't have done much about, the lad had all the time in the world to pick his spot.

22 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I cant think of any, he did really well from the corners as they were literally aimed at him but I don't recall a save that he had to make of note.

The goal he couldn't have done much about, the lad had all the time in the world to pick his spot.

He also made a save from Michael Keane in the first half, if I remember correctly. 

Long day! Jekyll and Hyde performance. Tale of two half’s. Digital tickets seemed to go ok. Rafa applause. Great to have us fans back. Holgate and Keane = car crash. 3 points. Lots of positives. The most normal it’s felt in 18 months (except an Everton home win).  On to next week. COYBs 

I was at a BBQ all evening with some Southampton fans so it was safe to say it was an interesting afternoon, and not one that I remember too much of the end of! 

I didn't think we were that bad in the first half, or at least until the goal. The tactics were not too dissimilar, it was just that the application of those tactics was. Once they scored, the arse of plenty of those players fell out and Rafa did well to get them back out with their tails up and it helped with the early goal.

Rafa earned a lot of my respect for the way he used Doucoure (easily my motm). Whenever the ball went forward he was joining in the attack. From the first kick to the last kick, he was sprinting forward making 5 players in attack. Last year we sometimes didnt have 1! The switching of Richarlison and Gray also worked well, as well as Keane and Holgate but IMO we just did what we were doing in the first half that bit better. When we got the ball forward the whole team squeezed up the pitch and tried to win that second ball. It isnt pretty football but we arent a pretty side and IMO it is the right way to go about using the qualities we have in this side. At its basic it is like the way Ferguson lumped the ball forward in his few games in charge but clearly much more refined from Rafa.

Pickford didn't really have much to do and did what he had to.

Coleman looked a bit of an old man at the end when Djenepo put him on his arse. He was ok but they were starting to run him ragged at the end.

Digne was also solid enough. Not terrible, but not really making an impact on the game.

Keane and Holgate had good spells and terrible spells. Keane's mistake was shocking, but Holgate panicked straight after when he could have bailed out his teammate. Keane was rocky until about 60 mins in, getting nudged off the ball by a far smaller man showinh where his head is. Holgate was bullied by both strikers and his long balls where shocking. One of the reasons we didnt have a stronger foothold in that first half. 

Allan was solid enough again, mainly going about his business but Doucoure was a mountain. Regardless of the goal he was key for us. Always getting forward, but the first back too. He turned the ball over and started attacks regularly too. He dominated midfield. 

I was impressed enough by the wide men. Townsend is a such a strange one. Great work rate, he looks like a bit of a leader too, organising people. He has a wicked delivery, off the back foot too which is really difficult, but he has little to no involvement in build up play and makes really basic passing errors. He had an essy through ball to slip Gray in the channel and he knocks it out of play. I don't get how he can whip a cross onto a 5 pence piece but overhit a simple pass that far? 

Gray was lively all game. He is really sharp and to my surprise he played two really good crosses into the box. He then also ruined a good attack but crossing the ball into the keepers arms which is the player I have seen more of. After that moment, I thought his head dropped. He looks better than I expected but lets see if he is still playing like this at the end of the season. 

Richarlison and Dom were similar. Richie wasn't getting any change out of the full back in the first half. He was much better second half through the middle. The assist was a great cross however I would best describe it as a persistent performance rather than a quality one. It was that persistence that led to the equaliser. 

Dom started the game very rustily. He was off the pace and a sharper performance would have seen him score a couple because the one time he got infront of his man he scored. As long as he does sharpen up, I can see him doing well this season. 

A small mention should go to Iwobi too. Him and Towsend are like chalk and cheese and that showed in the two goals that followed. Whereas Towsend wasn't really involved in the build up, Iwobi was firstly drawing the foul and then getting up and running into space to nod the ball back to Doucoure. The second goal is a little hazy but I seem to remember him getting into space and playing the ball to Richarlison. Small things that Townsend wasn't doing. Iwobi clearly wasn't as organised in defence and did not have the quality in delivery. 

There are definitely promising signs and this was a big step forward from the end of Ancellotti, but I won't get too carried away just yet given what did happen last season. Not that you would expect me to anyway 😂

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Keane and Holgate had good spells and terrible spells. Keane's mistake was shocking, but Holgate panicked straight after when he could have bailed out his teammate. Keane was rocky until about 60 mins in, getting nudged off the ball by a far smaller man showinh where his head is. Holgate was bullied by both strikers and his long balls where shocking. One of the reasons we didnt have a stronger foothold in that first half. 

Michael Keane had one of the worse 45 minutes of any person I've seen in an Everton shirt (that's including lads at 5 aside with a replica jersey on).... Yet Holgate gets the blame?!

19 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Michael Keane had one of the worse 45 minutes of any person I've seen in an Everton shirt (that's including lads at 5 aside with a replica jersey on).... Yet Holgate gets the blame?!

No, pretty sure I blamed Keane too. I even used the word shocking which was the clue. Holgate was as trying his hardest to be as bad though but was much better second half. 

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

No, pretty sure I blamed Keane too. I even used the word shocking which was the clue. Holgate was as trying his hardest to be as bad though but was much better second half. 

Everything you say about Keane you deflect with how Holgate was worse, or even to blame.

Shocking, but Holgate should have saved him.

Keane was bullied by one but Holgate bullied by both.

You even blame Holgate for us not having a foothold in the game compared to Keane being rocky. He wasn't rocky, he was an absolute shambles and that's even without the mistake.

Yes Holgate has a face like a slapped arse but the lad isn't playing badly. Similar happens with Davies too, used to see the same shite from the fans about Fellaini as well. One looks arrogant, one looks like a skateboarder and the other gangly. Rarely actually judged on their football.