IGNORED

Southampton (Home) Saturday 14 August

markjazzbassist

Here comes the home opener for a new campaign!  we have Rafa at the helm for this year.  Richarlison likely won’t be available as he just finished the Olympics, I’m not sure if DCL is fit and ready or will still need time so I’m omitting him here.  Gylfi still out due to police matters. 

Pickford

coleman keane godfrey digne

Doucoure allan

townsend     James    Gray

Kean?

Edited by markjazzbassist

27 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Here comes the home opener for a new campaign!  we have Rafa at the helm for this year.  Richarlison likely won’t be available as he just finished the Olympics, I’m not sure if DCL is fit and ready or will still need time so I’m omitting him here.  Gylfi still out due to police matters. 

Pickford

coleman keane godfrey digne

Doucoure allan

townsend     James    Gray

Kean?

Well I’m glad we are back here but very underwhelmed by the options available. Few injuries to key players this year and we are in trouble.

Moise Kean really needs to step up.

There is surely no way Richie will play. I would also be surprised if Dom plays more than 60 minutes.

As I have said elsewhere I think we will see most of the side that played at the weekend so I will go with:

Pickford

Coleman Keane Godfrey Digne

Allan Doucoure

Townsend Iwobi Gray

Dom / Kean

I don't see Southampton scoring many and we don't look like scoring a lot so I anticipate a tight game.

It'll be interesting to see what formation we start with.

Not expecting much of a performance with the squad we have fit, all I want to see is desire and hard work.

I'm more excited to see Grey play than any one else really, so I hope he starts.

Pickford

Coleman Keane Godfrey Digne

Doucoure Allan

Townsend James Gray

DCL

I know we have not strengthen as we would have liked, but on Saturday - barring Gylfi not being available we have a stronger squad than we did have at the end of last season.  

We have essentially lost Bernard, King and Olsen - but have gained Kean, Grey, Townsend and Begovic - and could also argue Gbamin. 

Apparently deal with Richarlison was you can play in the Olympics, but you get your arse back for the start f the premier league season and forgo your holiday. read that he is due back tomorrow and will be available for weekend. So if doesn't start, he might be an option off the bench if needed.

This might all change before the end of the month.

if these player are fitter and more well organised (than when under Ancelotti), which I think they should be, then no reason not to expect a result against Southampton.

I think much will hinge on the form of DCL. Last season seemed to mirror DCL's form and expect that again given the lack of goals from elsewhere on the pitch.

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

I think much will hinge on the form of DCL. Last season seemed to mirror DCL's form and expect that again given the lack of goals from elsewhere on the pitch.

I think his form dipped when we stopped giving him the service he thrives on, we lacked decent crosses in to the box, he’s one of the best in the PL in the air, if not the best, we need to play to his strengths, hopefully Townsend and Grey will play a part in doing that.

13 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Desperately hoping I feel excited when I’m walking up to the ground. It’ll feel so shit not to. 

I hope all the fans who go can feel excited. I know its a personal thing and I am not telling you how to feel, its just what I hope fans feel. The team needs the fans, more than ever.

We have lots to look forward to with the new stadium, this transfer window is the price we pay for folly transfers of Allardyce, Koeman, etc. The next window we will have more financial room for manoeuvre. Probably a factor in Carlo leaving and us taking so much time in appointing Benitez.

15 hours ago, Matt said:

Is that a state of being? I'm going to trust the writer here!

Never do that! Unreliable narrator and all that...

I'd like to say it was something clever like a 'state of being' but was actually just a feeble attempt to link your indifference to your dread ('in dread').

I'll get back to the writing...  

32 minutes ago, Formby said:

Never do that! Unreliable narrator and all that...

I'd like to say it was something clever like a 'state of being' but was actually just a feeble attempt to link your indifference to your dread ('in dread').

I'll get back to the writing...  

Aaaah. Very clever, I like that :)

Southampton are going to be right in the mix for relegation, so it concerns me that I'm not confident at all about Saturday. I think it could be a high scoring draw with two teams that can't defend, giving up silly goals that lead to points being dropped on either side.

Just hope it's a positive day, although I think it's going to be a very weird atmosphere.

5 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Southampton are going to be right in the mix for relegation, so it concerns me that I'm not confident at all about Saturday. I think it could be a high scoring draw with two teams that can't defend, giving up silly goals that lead to points being dropped on either side.

Just hope it's a positive day, although I think it's going to be a very weird atmosphere.

I think the opposite - 0-0 with both teams not showing any attacking intent. I’ll be surprised if James is in the squad at the moment and we are seriously lacking any attacking intent.

On 10/08/2021 at 23:10, Romey 1878 said:

Desperately hoping I feel excited when I’m walking up to the ground. It’ll feel so shit not to. 

That’s exactly how Im feeling at the moment. My son is Mr Negativity (prob due to social media) and I’m just a bit ‘Meh’. I’ve been disappointed with the ticketing situation and even Stubhub (although I get the reasons) but the stadium news is fantastic and I’m sure the minute the siren plays and z cars booms out I’ll have goosebumps. 

Pickford

Coleman   Godfrey   Keane    Digne

Allan

Doucoure

James

Gray             DCL            Townsend

Richarlison is probably more much fit than anyone but can't afford to overwork him and hopefully we'll be able to give him a run out towards the end (ideally not because we're desperate to score).  I've separated Doucoure  and Allan after reading the piece on the official site as Doucoure sounds like he's going to be allowed to push forward a lot more while Allan I expect to fully sit around the half way line.

Like wise, hopefully DCL can be rested after an hour.  Perhaps a swap with Richarlison as Richarlison's been enjoying some time up front recently for Brazil but if we are going well then would be good to throw Dobbin in for a run.

I've been dreaming of a DCL opener created by Gray Cross in the first 10 minutes... wishful thinking and maybe my head backing up my decision to put Gray in my FPL team!

2-0 win - DCL and Gray

3 hours ago, Bill said:

2-0 to us, Ward Prose an Arsenal target, CB vestergard (sp) might also be going, and Ings already gone, I think Btay is right, they could be in the shit this season, something is wrong there.

They also don't have a recognised left back at the moment.