IGNORED

Aston Villa (home) January 22

Cornish Steve

A really spirited performance, far better than the shite we have been serving up but it just lacks a fair bit of quality. 

Gordon was a really bright spark, Allan brought a lot to the game too. Richarlison was brilliant throughout. Doucoure showed that whilst he is brilliant from box to box he juat lacks quality. 

I was disappointed with a few. Dom just wasnt really at the races, Townsend was nowhere. Gray was wasteful.

The back four were solid enough. It wasnt always smooth between Mina and Holgate but they did well. Godfrey was solid enough but unsurprisingly wasnt any good in the final third and Kenny put in another competent performance.

We created enough chances to win the game but ended up losing. That is Everton all over at the moment.

A much better performance today. I think we were probably unlucky not to come away with a point. 

Having said that, we really need to start picking up points in the next few games.

Our next matches are against Brentford(H), Newcastle(A), Leeds(H) and Southhampton(A) - all teams that are in and around us in the league, and who we need to take points off to start climbing back up the league - spirited performances alone are not gonna be enough.

I think if we don't get at least 7 or 8 points out of those games, we are really gonna struggle. The run of games after that is pretty much all against teams up at the top of the table. 

A better performance than we would have put in under Benitez, but still nowhere near the level of the Premier League. We never looked like scoring, and as a result only one goal is enough to take the win against us.

People are starting to realise that we are in massive trouble. We are in deep, deep shit.

3 minutes ago, Wall Writer said:

A much better performance today. I think we were probably unlucky not to come away with a point. 

Having said that, we really need to start picking up points in the next few games.

Our next matches are against Brentford(H), Newcastle(A), Leeds(H) and Southhampton(A) - all teams that are in and around us in the league, and who we need to take points off to start climbing back up the league - spirited performances alone are not gonna be enough.

I think if we don't get at least 7 or 8 points out of those games, we are really gonna struggle. The run of games after that is pretty much all against teams up at the top of the table. 

Brentford in the cup

Lots of huff and puff but we could be still doing that tomorrow and not blow the house down. The quality just isn’t there - we launch the ball and hope. And if DCL isn’t on it, like today, we don’t have much at all.

Not going to complain about anyones level of effort today because they all put it out there, but DCL, Kenny and Townsend were on the whole useless in actual game play. DCL and Townsend looked off the pace completely and Kenny just isn’t good enough at all.

We’re in a huge amount of trouble and we need to find ways of getting results and quickly. 

I like Mina as captain - there’s a proper leader there. I don’t mind Holgate alongside him as at least he’s got a bit of fight/aggression.

What I don’t like is once again playing 2 in the middle rather than 3. Until Gordon came on, our wingers didn’t cross so what was the point of a 4-4-2?! Gray will always look to cut in from the left so don’t play him there in a 4-4-2. Play a 4-3-3 and he can cut in or get him running at Digne like Gordon did when he came on. I think Allan, Doucoure and Gomes from the start could have helped us dominate that game against an average Villa side.

Just to add some basic stats for context.

xG: Everton 1.24 - Villa 0.86

Shots in box: Everton 11 - Villa 4

Shots outside of box: Everton 4 - Villa 4

The two biggest chances on xG were the Watkins and Dom chances, both ranked at 0.46. That means the other 7 shots Villa had, including the goal, were low probability chances and one just happened to go in. 

53 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Just to add some basic stats for context.

xG: Everton 1.24 - Villa 0.86

Shots in box: Everton 11 - Villa 4

Shots outside of box: Everton 4 - Villa 4

The two biggest chances on xG were the Watkins and Dom chances, both ranked at 0.46. That means the other 7 shots Villa had, including the goal, were low probability chances and one just happened to go in. 

Not Listening GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

25 minutes ago, Palfy said:

One of our worst attempts at goal and on target for a long time, that’s a massive worry for all the endeavour and hard work we failed to create chances. 

Not completely true. 

I think we bettered today's 15 attempts only 3 times this season in the league (I checked but can't remember the exact amount - it could be 4 🤣). 

The bigger issue is the shots on target. There is no doubt the individual players should have done a lot better. Mina and Dom in particular.

25 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Not completely true. 

I think we bettered today's 15 attempts only 3 times this season in the league (I checked but can't remember the exact amount - it could be 4 🤣). 

The bigger issue is the shots on target. There is no doubt the individual players should have done a lot better. Mina and Dom in particular.

Mina (x2) and Dom should have done better with their chances, even Douc’s when on the break with his ball for Richy I think it was, the ball should have been better and we’d been 1 on 1.

Looked to be more passion and fight for the shirt, expect that when Dunc leading, lacked a bit of quality and end product.

We were touch unlucky their goal, Pickford doesn’t touch it then Townsend should have cleared, but big questions on looked as though 2 let a fairly short player run like that and get free.

Pickford looks to have matured a fair bit this year, could we credit Ramsdale pressuring his England spot?

Hard to say if encouraging or more of the same as previous, after Newcastle game we’ll know how seriously in trouble we are.

I just had a look at their goal again. The corner comes from Dom skewing a headed clearance back into the box (under pressure).

From the corner, Gomes just lets Buendia run away from him. I thought it was Richie on first viewing but there was no way he would have been able to beat Buendia to it. Gomes was so asleep it was unreal.

The game I watched was of two average teams with neither deserving to win over the other. We were full of energy from the off, but there was no improvement in creativity. We seemed to spend most of our time playing within a few inches of the right touchline -presumably trying to pressure Digne. I don't agree with those who claim Gomes played well, and DC-L was non-existent during those first 45 minutes. We faded as time went by, and it was so disappointing to concede.

In the second half, not must changed - so I was heartened by comparatively early substitutions, and they were the right ones. Allan is so important to our team and made an immediate impact. More so was Gordon, and his runs and crosses are becoming an ever-increasing threat to opponents. It's clear, though, that we've lacked good coaching all season, and an increase in desire can't hide that fact.

All credit to Mina who took the captain's role almost too seriously. He tried so hard throughout and made some crucial blocks and tackles in defence. I was getting nervous about his frequent presence up-front, but he was so eager to win. Nice to see but, again, it's no substitute for good coaching and a solid game plan.

One final observation: While Richarlison was full and energy and all over the place, he was all over the place. He's another one who tried too hard. While I give him credit for being so determined, a good strategy on the field doesn't expect everyone to be running around like blue-assed flies, as they say.

20 hours ago, rtaylor91 said:

Hard to say if encouraging or more of the same as previous, after Newcastle game we’ll know how seriously in trouble we are.

As I told my son at the start of yesterday's game, if we lose to Villa, we have a 20% chance of relegation. Lose to Newcastle and it becomes 40%. Lose to Leeds, and it becomes 60%. Lose a second time to Watford, and it's 80%. In the coming weeks, these are crucial games.

To be fair I was impressed with Minas three headers won.

At the other end they had the Mong Mings winning everything. 

It’s funny, but everyone around me said about Mina until I told them to watch how many headers he will challenge for. By the end of the match they realised… he just doesn’t. He only goes for headers he is 75/25 to win. Fuck sake Ings even won challenges against him.

Sorry haha grew up watching Watson, Ratcliffe, and Gough. Mina is an absolute daisy compared to those guys and frustrates me so much because he always… always steps back and let’s them have it. Made Holgate look like the dominant defender though, so there’s a plus.

Still would rather have him than Keane though haha. But he just epitomises what is wrong with our defence. Weak in the air.