IGNORED

2022-2023 season - Preparation

On 24/05/2022 at 10:41, RuffRob said:

I would like to see somebody like Ainsley Maitland Niles coming to the club. He is going in to the last year of his Arsenal contract and we are a club who have reached out to him already, he can provide cover at both RB and LB, and is not to shabby in the middle of the park either. I think he would be a great replacement for Delph - and could easily carve himself at starting place in our team if he performed and at worst would be a very good squad player. He has got a lot of experience already, does not appear to be injury prone and will be at around our budget. Know for having a bit of pace and energy. 

Ainsley Maitland Niles only managed 8 games and 491 in his half season at Roma.  Has sat the bench during their final today.  Sort of wondering if he will make in the PL?  Plus isn't he a midfielder who has just been played out of position when playing RB / LB? Seems like a poor fit for us.

12 hours ago, plaidharper said:

Ainsley Maitland Niles only managed 8 games and 491 in his half season at Roma.  Has sat the bench during their final today.  Sort of wondering if he will make in the PL?  Plus isn't he a midfielder who has just been played out of position when playing RB / LB? Seems like a poor fit for us.

He's poo.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

For those that suggested we go after Nketieh, he's changed his mind and will sign a new contract with Arsenal.

not the biggest surprise that. 

15 hours ago, plaidharper said:

but Roma have done well as a team, so no shame in not being first 11 game in and game out. At the moment we have poor cover for both LB and RB - he would be a considerable improvement on Kenny in the squad and would also cover Delph leaving the squad and possibly Davies. Was around the England team/squad a couple of years ago when he got on the pitch more at Arsenal - so he's not exactly poo.

We have pretty limited fund - so not going to be get guilt edges players all around, need good squad players that have the potential to maybe force a place in the starting 11. I was disappointed we didn't get him on loan last summer - as I would have liked to have seen what he could do. 

AM-N sees himself as a midfielder and yet he's a better RB, but still a poor one of them as well.

Stay away from that one.

The one thing I'm hoping for most during this summer is that we do early deals. I always prefer that anyway but with a new manager looking to mould the team I think it's vital. So I hope Lampard and Thelwell really push the club into acting as quickly as they can, rather than leaving things late.

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

The one thing I'm hoping for most during this summer is that we do early deals. I always prefer that anyway but with a new manager looking to mould the team I think it's vital. So I hope Lampard and Thelwell really push the club into acting as quickly as they can, rather than leaving things late.

See you on deadline day👍

57 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

AM-N sees himself as a midfielder and yet he's a better RB, but still a poor one of them as well.

Stay away from that one.

If anything like last year, a lot of deals might hinge on players going out to free up wages the wages. The thought that we potentially only missed out on Diaz in August because we couldn't quite balance the books with James wages still grates on me a bit. 

I am guessing every penny will count again this transfer window.  

3 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

If anything like last year, a lot of deals might hinge on players going out to free up wages the wages. The thought that we potentially only missed out on Diaz in August because we couldn't quite balance the books with James wages still grates on me a bit. 

I am guessing every penny will count again this transfer window.  

That whole Diaz disappointment is misplaced. If that deal had looked like happening the shite would have jumped in and took him then, just like they did with Spurs. They've been watching him for a while but wanted to wait until this summer to sign him but once Spurs looked like getting him they made their move early, and that's what they would've done with us.

So James not going to Porto probably did us a favour because that happening would have been horrendous!

50 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Meanwhile, Villa are well on the way to making their second signing of the summer having had a bid accepted for Diego Carlos.

They are liking players approaching 30. Villa are definitely going for it this next few years. They are dishing out some transfer fees and wages on players going in to there last major contracts. They are going to be in our position in the next year or so - CL football or bust!!!

5 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

That whole Diaz disappointment is misplaced. If that deal had looked like happening the shite would have jumped in and took him then, just like they did with Spurs. They've been watching him for a while but wanted to wait until this summer to sign him but once Spurs looked like getting him they made their move early, and that's what they would've done with us.

So James not going to Porto probably did us a favour because that happening would have been horrendous!

Yeah, that's why I said potentially. As it did seem to good a deal to be true.

but still think a chuck of our business will be dictated on players moving, so I hope we get our sales done quick for those that will be going. 

8 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

They are liking players approaching 30. Villa are definitely going for it this next few years. They are dishing out some transfer fees and wages on players going in to there last major contracts. They are going to be in our position in the next year or so - CL football or bust!!!

Exactly what I was thinking, however they do have a good young nucleus of Watkins, Cash, Buendia, Bailey, Ramsey, Konsa, now Kamara as well.

Think they could be a sleeper next season for European spots

3 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Exactly what I was thinking, however they do have a good young nucleus of Watkins, Cash, Buendia, Bailey, Ramsey, Konsa, now Kamara as well.

Think they could be a sleeper next season for European spots

to be honest, given the money being spent they are going to need to be getting European football, I don't see Villa's revenue stream being any better than ours in trying to balance FFP books. 

Had us doing it, Villa are doing it now and Newcastle starting out at it - some big name clubs throwing some serious money at it. You HAVE to oust teams that can afford to spend more over a prolonged period (because of their revenue streams), fucking tough to break in to, and as we have found with FFP - your simply fucked if you don't. Arsenal are going to be sweating in the next year or so if they don't get a CL spot soon.

There is already a 'super league' of clubs who are simply allowed to spend more to stay in it - you have to be very very lucky to break in to it now. Teams like ours have a 3-4 year window, then you simply bust out. 

Chelsea and Man City got very luck in the timing of their big money investments. Those days seem to be gone for now. 

10 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

to be honest, given the money being spent they are going to need to be getting European football, I don't see Villa's revenue stream being any better than ours in trying to balance FFP books. 

Didn’t Purslow (Villa Chief exec or something) help create/write the rules of FFP? Think he’ll be pretty clued up on what they can/can’t do.

I agree, we do need to be looking at the best young talent in the Championship with an element of gamble in bringing them here. However, it's also a gamble when you bring tried and tested Premiership players for big fees and big wages - which we have been so guilty of this past 4-5year.

I can't say I know much about O'Brian, but its definitely the market we should be looking at - the 'young and hungry' as Thelwell and Lampard have put it. 

The one thing we have going for us over the likes of the big 6 (and even maybe over the likes of Villa and Newcastle at this very moment - who to me look to be going down the route we did 5 years ago) and that is there is plenty of room in our squad and team for young players who prove themselves as they will get a shot at playing regularly at a big club. We really have to push and sell this to bright young talent.  

We now don't have the budget to anything else anyhow, so we may as well spend two or three season becoming very good at getting, playing and developing the very best young talent.  FFP has shown that sustainable revenue streams are now vital - and trading players up is a massive source of income and probably the only way (if you are not in the CL regular) of getting the income needed to try and play with the big boys at the business end of the table.