IGNORED

2022-2023 season - Preparation

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

November 16th to 20th? International players involved the World Cup won't be there so it won't be all first  team players.

As it currently stands I don't see many Everton players at the World Cup. Which is not a bad thing, as we will get a second decent pre-season with the players together and a few friendlies to try stuff out on.

Is is currently only Pickford who is likely to be going from our squad? Potentially DCL if he shows some decent form early in the season. 

Personally really feel like we need a defensive / central midfielder this window and the longer it goes the less players will be available.

Some big names have already moved.  Denis Zakaria went to Juve in January.  This summer Aurélien Tchouaméni to Real, Frank Kessie to Barca, Kalvin Phillips to City, Yves Bissouma went to Spurs, Ryan Gravenberch to Bayern.

But smaller names are moving too like Boubacar Kamara already moved to Villa on a free (hope we at least tried on this one). Salih Özcan has moved to Dortmund.  Fulham just signed Joao Palhinha (who we were linked with), Leeds signed Marc Roca and now look like they will get Tyler Adams. Corentin Tolisso moved to Lille on a free.  Napoli sigend André Zambo Anguissa.

So who do we go for? 

In the EPL, I doubt anyone worth getting will want to join up with us after witnessing our last campaign. Can Conor Gallagher fill that role? Would be hard to get and seems more of a box to box. 

In the Bundesliga Florian Grillitsch is available on a free but I am sure multiple clubs are in for him.  Getting anyone from Leipzig would be expensive like Laimer.

In Italy, Guilio Maggoire is in his last year and will most likely move but I bet he stays in Italy.  Maybe someone from Juve as part of a Moise Kean deal? 

I wish I had ideas. I am no scout. Just hoping that Thelwell / Lampard have some ideas.  If we roll into the season with just Allan, Doucoure, Gomes, Davies, and Gbamin I would be worried both on the pitch and in our books.  Maybe one of them will step up though and prove me wrong?  Maybe the likes of Warrington and Onyango can step up?  

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Godfrey or Holgate could play in that position and we also have the players you mentioned. No panic for me there.

Not sure I would trust any of the players in our squad that I mentioned or the ones you mentioned over Delph in that role and he just retired didn't he? Am I worrying too much? Who knows.

Romeo Lavia (supposedly an exciting young DM from Man City) has just signed for Southampton.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Allan, Doucoure, Gomez, Davies, Godfrey, Holgate,  there's half a dozen teams in the prem who would take any one of them.

Allan's legs are going, Doucoure is really poor technically, Gomes and Davies are not good enough, Godfrey and Holgate are barely good enough on the ball at the back for a possession based team never mind as a proper midfielder. 

Our central midfield is a huge problem. Arguably, Allan and Doucoure should be the back-ups or rotational starters and not be relied upon to play 38 games a season. 

13 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Allan's legs are going, Doucoure is really poor technically, Gomes and Davies are not good enough, Godfrey and Holgate are barely good enough on the ball at the back for a possession based team never mind as a proper midfielder. 

Our central midfield is a huge problem. Arguably, Allan and Doucoure should be the back-ups or rotational starters and not be relied upon to play 38 games a season. 

Bailey,We are not City, Redshite, or Chelsea, don't expect us to get any better than what we've already got or you're going to be very disappointed. 😀

22 hours ago, Bill said:

Bailey,We are not City, Redshite, or Chelsea, don't expect us to get any better than what we've already got or you're going to be very disappointed. 😀

If we dont get any better midfielders than we have now we will be back fighting relegation again next season. 

22 minutes ago, Bailey said:

If we dont get any better midfielders than we have now we will be back fighting relegation again next season. 

Did we have any better midfielders the season before? Apart from the one plenty wanted rid of. 

1 minute ago, StevO said:

Did we have any better midfielders the season before? Apart from the one plenty wanted rid of. 

Good point, but a 2 year younger Allan would be a big help. 

Furthermore that team was crumbling at the end under Ancellotti and I just dont see that Lampard will be able to get those players to play the way I expect him to want to play. 

If we do play how we did at the end of the season, which is very possible, then we might be able to get away with it. It wont be pretty to watch though as we can barely string two passes together.

15 minutes ago, Shukes said:

To be fair mate, Lampard did get them playing better. Agree we need something else in there… but he did a good job.

He got them playing much simpler and he very much went back to basics in a time of need largely buoyed by the input from the fans.

I am not sure that style of football will be sustainable over the course of a season and I am not sure the fans will really stomach it either when the tempo inevitably drops. 

I really think our midfield needs new impetus if we are going to take genuine steps forward this season. It certainly doesn't need Holgate or Godfrey playing in those positions!

We also have Dele, Gray, and Iwobi who can play behind the striker.  I'm a bit more concerned about good defenders and good attackers who can score goals. Midfield is not a worry for me, OK if we can bring one in but I won't be slashing my wrists if we don't. 

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

We also have Dele, Gray, and Iwobi who can play behind the striker.  I'm a bit more concerned about good defenders and good attackers who can score goals. Midfield is not a worry for me, OK if we can bring one in but I won't be slashing my wrists if we don't. 

I would like a really dominant midfielder in there, but I’m really worried about us scoring goals. 

7 hours ago, StevO said:

I would like a really dominant midfielder in there, but I’m really worried about us scoring goals. 

Same for me. Would love us to find that linch pin midfielder, the one that everything goes through. 
A Kean, Vierra type.

Do they even exist anymore?

18 hours ago, Bill said:

My view is that a good midfield makes your defenders and your attackers better. 

Reading through the Transfer Rumours section, I feel rather upbeat about the type of players to whom we're being linked. Gallagher and Eriksen were never going to happen, so I'm glad those discussions have died down. The possibility of signing Gibbs-White, Broja, and Walker-Peters is an exciting one. Swapping Gomes for Rabiot would also be smart business. If these four deals came off, I'd be over the moon and very impressed. We shouldn't forget as well those players returning from loan spells. Would Nkounkou make the step up under a coach like Ashley Cole? Can Gbamin prove himself after a solid loan deal must have been reassuring after such devastating bad luck with injuries? What about Simms and Broadhead? Will they make a push toward the first team or is now the time to cash in? Let's hope we get deals done in the next two weeks and push hard for a great start to the season.