IGNORED

2022-2023 season - Preparation

14 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

It's the overpaying (both in transfer fees and wages) for the players that's the real problem and has meant that we've felt the impact of making bad signings twice over.

Not only have the transfer fees fucked us with FFP but then we haven't been able to get rid of those players because we gave them such stupidly inflated wages that no other club would give them if they left.

So we've been stuck with a shit squad and can't bring in players that are better than them until they fuck off on frees.

It pisses me off just how badly we've been run. I feel so much anger towards those that have sanctioned this shite.

This is it. New owner, new money and the room to spend it and we tried to compete with the big boys. 

When plan A went tits up, we went to plan B which was sign a big name manager on big money and buy more players on big money. 

I feel a little like that corner may have turned with nature of the January signings and the introduction of Thelwell who will hopefully be working without any influence above, but as a club we will be paying for it for a good while yet. 

Can we just sign Colwill & Cornet on a perms, as well as Winks and Gilmour on loans already.  Hopefully loan/buy Garner as well. 

We just need some shit to solidify this year, before we can build again.  I'd even take Ismaila Sarr on loan, just to get some right sided options.

Also, how we're not deep in to Belotti for a couple of years of wages is beyond me.  He likes the ball in behind but is used to coming short (Torino).  He's also not Rondon.

As much as I want a high quality 6/8, it seems we're truly skint.  Let's suck it up for a year or so, and start risking it on players a year or 2 before we would have previously.

As the transfer window goes on I think we will see:

Cornet - perm - £17.5M - as a Richy replacement. This has to happen if Fulham and Forest are the others interested, hard working, showed well in the Prem last year, and a pretty fair price in all honesty if the release clause is correct. 

Gilmour and/or Winks- loan with obligation to buy (maybe at the end of the window) - Delph replacement

Outside chance of Broja on a permanent. Maybe allowing DCL to potentially be sold in Jan/next summer.

Gilmour and Broja complicate things a little as can't have a loan type of deal for both with them both come from Chelsea at the same time.

Think there may be some combination of 3 of these 4. 

Would like to see MGW, but don't see this now happening and we may have to just keep fingers crossed that Alli does improve this season with us. 

I think we could still do with a ball winning type No.6 as alternative to Winks/Gilmour in games when we more have are arses against the wall.

Some big decisions needed from Thelwall and Lampard, as they pretty much have no room for errors on who they spend any money on. 

26 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

We'd be absolutely fucking nuts to do an obligation to buy for anyone in our current financial predicament.

On that basis, we absolutely will do it.

yeah, this 'obligation to buy' just seems to be a bit of a norm to 'buy now' and 'pay later'. All on the hope that we get better results and move up the table prize money wise, and are able to make a decent profit on some players in the future. 

Our problem being we have actually fallen down the table and seem to lose money hand over fist on the majority of players.

Sounds like we did something very similar with Alli - I don't think Alli was the smartest buy - Is he simply going to be somebody we are stuck with now? will live in hope he might turn things around. Frank is persisting with him pre-season and his last game has been the most promising. Can he now build on this? 🤞 

I actually think we are a couple of decent signings and a improved Alli away from being a team we could really build from. 

Need a decent hard working 10 goal 'Richy' replacement (see Cornet as an affordable option here) and two 'dependable' solid midfielders. Give me one of 'Winks' or 'Gilmour' and a enforcer type in this window. Get these in and look to be moving Gomes and Gbamin on in this transfer window (if at all possible) and promote one or two from the academy.

On 24/07/2022 at 09:37, DownUnderToff said:

Can we just sign Colwill & Cornet on a perms, as well as Winks and Gilmour on loans already.  Hopefully loan/buy Garner as well. 

We just need some shit to solidify this year, before we can build again.  I'd even take Ismaila Sarr on loan, just to get some right sided options.

Also, how we're not deep in to Belotti for a couple of years of wages is beyond me.  He likes the ball in behind but is used to coming short (Torino).  He's also not Rondon.

As much as I want a high quality 6/8, it seems we're truly skint.  Let's suck it up for a year or so, and start risking it on players a year or 2 before we would have previously.

Absolutely spot on here. We have no money. These 4 make us significantly better, and by that I mean maybe, just maybe we could get top half of the table. Anyone looking for more than that this year is insane. We survived the relegation we deserved and now we have to build intelligently over the next 3 years. We can piss and moan all we want about how many times we've had to say that, and it's true, but this is still our reality. Cornet and Belotti are the best we can do for cover and Winks/Gilmour add options to the midfield. Right now we have none. Somehow get Keane and Gomes sold and we've done all we can do. 

53 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

yeah, this 'obligation to buy' just seems to be a bit of a norm to 'buy now' and 'pay later'. All on the hope that we get better results and move up the table prize money wise, and are able to make a decent profit on some players in the future. 

Our problem being we have actually fallen down the table and seem to lose money hand over fist on the majority of players.

Sounds like we did something very similar with Alli - I don't think Alli was the smartest buy - Is he simply going to be somebody we are stuck with now? will live in hope he might turn things around. Frank is persisting with him pre-season and his last game has been the most promising. Can he now build on this? 🤞 

I actually think we are a couple of decent signings and a improved Alli away from being a team we could really build from. 

Need a decent hard working 10 goal 'Richy' replacement (see Cornet as an affordable option here) and two 'dependable' solid midfielders. Give me one of 'Winks' or 'Gilmour' and a enforcer type in this window. Get these in and look to be moving Gomes and Gbamin on in this transfer window (if at all possible) and promote one or two from the academy.

I’m losing all sense of reality with these quotation marks. I can’t cope. 🙈

Also this is purely speculative but in looking at who we're trying to get rid, I was thinking about possible clubs:

Keane - contract 2025 - Fulham? Celtic might need one more CB? MLS can put together a decent wage packet nowadays.
Mina - contract 2023 - turkish or saudi club on loan for the year? He seems important in the dressing room not sure it's worth it.
Holgate - contract 2025 - doesn't strike me as someone looking to leave UK - perhaps Brighton or Rangers? Also Fulham or even West Ham, they're looking for a CB. 
Gomes - contract 2024 - grew up in Benfica system. Also Turkey/Saudi where high wages can be paid. Is it remotely possible Brands would be interested at PSV? One of the relegation contenders in Spain - Mallorca/Valladolid or Girona which is owned by City Football Group. 
Davies - contract 2023 - pick any championship club you'd like.
Gbamin - contract 2024 - had success in Germany and France. I'd lean towards France. His former coach at Lens is now at Nantes, why not? and his coach at Mainz is now at Hertha. 
Dele - contract 2024 - lost on this one. Would he even be willing to go abroad? If not he's a poisoned chalice we're stuck with if he doesn't turn things around. 
Rondon - contract 2023 - Turkey/Saudi/MLS/Brazil. 

Lastly in looking at 2023s the clearout continues: Begovic, Mina, Nkounkou, Seamus, Allan, Gordon (will sign new deal), Davies, Townsend, Rondon. 

I've not been able to watch any of the pre-season games, only the 2 min YT highlights. All I'll say is I don't remember the last time we had a positive pre-season so I couldn't really care less about it. The only things I hope comes out if it is improved fitness and Frank and Co can identify the must improve positions then get them sorted. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I've not been able to watch any of the pre-season games, only the 2 min YT highlights. All I'll say is I don't remember the last time we had a positive pre-season so I couldn't really care less about it. The only things I hope comes out if it is improved fitness and Frank and Co can identify the must improve positions then get them sorted. 

I am with you on that. They get massively over hyped and scrutinied these days. Not helped buy these overseas marketing tours, but it a necessity these days to get the brand out there.

It's a chance to assess what you have to work with, try different things, and get fitness back.

You can learn just as much from the bad results, mistakes and performances as you can from any good ones. Now is the time to do that. 

A perceived bad result against Minnisota means Frank has a bit more leverage in needing players to come in.

14 hours ago, Matt said:

I remember us beating that amateur team in Austria 21-0 and thought we were nailed on for the league.

Transfer window got very exciting this week. If we do get Coady as well as the now expected Onana, and Gana and potentially throw a loaned Broja in to the mix, then our line up for the first game in September could be very different to last September, with almost all out field players potentially swoped out. Truly, the start of a new broom. Will take a while to gel and partnerships to developed. 

We have to be patient, but very exciting non the less.

14 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Transfer window got very exciting this week. If we do get Coady as well as the now expected Onana, and Gana and potentially throw a loaned Broja in to the mix, then our line up for the first game in September could be very different to last September, with almost all out field players potentially swoped out. Truly, the start of a new broom. Will take a while to gel and partnerships to developed. 

We have to be patient, but very exciting non the less.

Knowing Everton, I think we'll get the Onana, Gana and Coady deals done and we won't be able to get a forward in