IGNORED

2022-2023 season - Preparation

On 09/07/2022 at 04:47, Cornish Steve said:

Reading through the Transfer Rumours section, I feel rather upbeat about the type of players to whom we're being linked. Gallagher and Eriksen were never going to happen, so I'm glad those discussions have died down. The possibility of signing Gibbs-White, Broja, and Walker-Peters is an exciting one. Swapping Gomes for Rabiot would also be smart business. If these four deals came off, I'd be over the moon and very impressed. We shouldn't forget as well those players returning from loan spells. Would Nkounkou make the step up under a coach like Ashley Cole? Can Gbamin prove himself after a solid loan deal must have been reassuring after such devastating bad luck with injuries? What about Simms and Broadhead? Will they make a push toward the first team or is now the time to cash in? Let's hope we get deals done in the next two weeks and push hard for a great start to the season.

We need them in 2 weeks ago not in the next 2 weeks. This season scares me because of the unknown factor of having a World Cup in November. Games will come thick and fast so how much time will the coaching staff have to work on tactics etc etc. Doshiri needs to strengthen us asap because if a deal takes time we won’t have a transfer window left to work in

18 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

We had a pretty frugal transfer window last summer and also in January considering Digne went out. Net spend probably next to bugger all, also lost some big player for wages Walcott, James and Digne himself etc. 

So far this summer we have seen big move for Richy and I doubt we will spend more that the £60M in total. As well as this seen another group of player on decent wages depart from the club.

Given the magnitude of the Premiership revenues that do come in, then I would think a couple of frugal followed by sensible years in the transfer market should fairly quickly get a club back on track with regard to FFP.

Being forced to do things properly by rethinking and buying good quality hungry, young players on reasonable wages and building from the low base of a fighting relegation as opposed to trying to get European football - might actually help us in the longer run. 

6 hours ago, The Phoenix said:

We need them in 2 weeks ago not in the next 2 weeks. This season scares me because of the unknown factor of having a World Cup in November. Games will come thick and fast so how much time will the coaching staff have to work on tactics etc etc. Doshiri needs to strengthen us asap because if a deal takes time we won’t have a transfer window left to work in

Haha, I see what you did there.

Here is Richarlison's touch map for last season. Apparently against his positional peers.

- made more pressures over than all but eight per cent of his positional peers.

- made more tackles than all but five per cent.

- top seven per cent among forwards for interceptions

- top one per cent for blocks

- top eight per cent for clearances

- only three players made 200+ tackles and completed 200+ take-ons in the Premier League during the time he was at Everton

I see an absolute workhorse who contributed massively at both ends. We might get someone to replace his goals/creativity but hopefully we can replace his industry also.

14 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

Here is Richarlison's touch map for last season. Apparently against his positional peers.

- made more pressures over than all but eight per cent of his positional peers.

- made more tackles than all but five per cent.

- top seven per cent among forwards for interceptions

- top one per cent for blocks

- top eight per cent for clearances

- only three players made 200+ tackles and completed 200+ take-ons in the Premier League during the time he was at Everton

I see an absolute workhorse who contributed massively at both ends. We might get someone to replace his goals/creativity but hopefully we can replace his industry also.

Yea, that’s where his value is. Even if he is having a poor game offensively he can still contribute well. We are unlikely to find a like for like replacement for Richie as few players in world football have his specific skills and the ones that do cost much more than we’d pay. We have to do it in the aggregate. 

3 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

Yea, that’s where his value is. Even if he is having a poor game offensively he can still contribute well. We are unlikely to find a like for like replacement for Richie as few players in world football have his specific skills and the ones that do cost much more than we’d pay. We have to do it in the aggregate. 

The same article drew some parallels with world players who scored similarly to Richie in those attributes I posted about. Here's the list. Can't say I know too much about many of them.

Picture 1-min-2-2.png

1 hour ago, patto said:

Not sure we will it might depend on our transfer window 

I like him but unfortunately he lacks pace I think it’ll be another loan. 

So does Tom Davies and Allan but they will play. I think Warrington has a bit about him. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

So does Tom Davies and Allan but they will play. I think Warrington has a bit about him. 

Davies and Allan will participate if we can’t sell them Allan was playing with injuries last season because of the situation we were in he might improve. 
the problem is we need 3 in midfield to give anyone a chance.