IGNORED

2022-2023 season - Preparation

I’ve never been so deflated going into a new season lads. Last year was a fucking slog, 9 months of absolute torture, a shit show on every level. Fuck, I thought football was supposed to be fun. If we’re brutally honest with ourselves the end of season high was more down to the shitness of others than the greatness of our boys.

I decided to take a mental break from all things Everton for a while and when I come back the carnage continues. We’re constrained by our financial problems, we sell our best player who’s also our biggest threat and can’t reinvest his fee, potential buyers titillate and tease us only to then disappear into the great beyond, preseason promise disappears into the abyss as we lose to Arsenal then get battered by Minnesota United.

If this continues I really do fear for our great club, our competitors appear to have done good business bringing in players whilst we’re just treading water, doing nothing. I need some positivity to lift me from the feeling of doom and gloom

52 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

We badly need signings before the first game of the season. We have to do it.

I think we need a few out tbh mark. To me there is a coziness in the squad that manifests itself as complete and utter half arsed efforts on the pitch. 

Davies has to go, his inclusion is divisive amongst the fans. Lewis Warrington and Gbamin will be better options. 

Keane has to go, and I’d look at other players who aren’t doing it. 

3 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I think we need a few out tbh mark. To me there is a coziness in the squad that manifests itself as complete and utter half arsed efforts on the pitch. 

Davies has to go, his inclusion is divisive amongst the fans. Lewis Warrington and Gbamin will be better options. 

Keane has to go, and I’d look at other players who aren’t doing it. 

Without a doubt we need to get shut of players as well, but incomings are needed even more. We play 5 games before the window shuts, we can't afford to wait until deadline day. Especially for a proper defensive midfielder.

Moshiri's "wait until the window closes to judge us" just smacks of trying to deflect for a bit longer and then hope that the business we do do appeases enough of us, and if it doesn't appease us that there aren't enough of us that will kick up a fuss about it.

Davies has to go because he's just absolute crap, end of story. He's simply not good enough, at anything.

Keane actually has good games sometimes but, like I always say, I'd sell any of our players if it'll benefit us. I'd prefer to get shut of Mina, Holgate and even Godfrey tbh but I doubt anyone will come in for any of them, for various reasons.

We've built a terrible squad, we really have, and it's biting us on the arse now after our reckless spending.

I didn't watch the MNUFC friendly, but I have to say my jaw dropped when I saw the scoreline.

The thing that worries me though is listening to Lampard give his post match and it's exactly the same line as last season: the lads are giving everything in training but the performance on the pitch is not good enough. We need to look at ourselves and do better. Blah,blah, blah.

Whether it's personnel or tactics, if we're still hearing the same line in November, we'll have a new manager by Christmas.

And another new manager, with new staff and new players is not what we need.

29 minutes ago, RPG said:

I'd say at least five.

1. A starting cb, possibly two.

2. A defensive mid (No.6)

3. An attacking mid. (No. 8 )

4. A replacement for Richarlison

5. Competition/help up front for DCL

And some quality cover at both full back positions would be nice. Mykolenko and Patterson are not proven and Nkounkou and Mills are not ready to step up - promising though Mills looks. Coleman is on his last legs and injured.

We also need to shift players out of the club.

We have enough centre backs.

We have enough attacking midfielders, Iwobi, Ali

Agree with the rest.

On 21/07/2022 at 02:16, Hafnia said:

T Davies and Keane must be sold. Surely we can scramble a few million quid for them and our scouts will be able to spot players in league 2 who are bloody better! 

No one in their right mind would put in a bid for these two, even at lower levels.  Stuck waiting for their contracts to run down like we have with lots of player lately.  We are stuck with this squad and the road ahead is long.

14 hours ago, London Blue said:

We have enough centre backs.

We have enough attacking midfielders, Iwobi, Ali

Agree with the rest.

We have a squad of 20 plus players I would only want 5-6 in the team, you can have many CBs and Mids but if there not up to requirements you need to get others in to move forward. 

40 minutes ago, Palfy said:

We have a squad of 20 plus players I would only want 5-6 in the team, you can have many CBs and Mids but if there not up to requirements you need to get others in to move forward. 

Holgate, Godfrey, Tara, Michalenko, Patterson, DCL, Iwobi, Gordon, Ali, Pickford, Gray, Doucs, are all good.

We need a midfield general and defensive midfielder to bring the best out of the team and a another striker.

Whether or not certain players are good or not depends how we want to play. 

If we want to play the way Lampard tried when he came and then how he appears to want to play this preseason, that list of players is very small. I mean really small. None of our defenders will do well, the midfield is severly lacking in quality and our attacking players are better on the counter than they are at breaking teams down with possession. 

If you want to defend deep and play on the counter then we have seen that they can get themselves over the line but it really won't be pretty. 

If I had the money my preparation for the season would definitely be to build a bunker capable of taking a nuclear hit that had enough supplies so that I didn’t have to have any contact with the outside world until at least the start of the 24/25 season when hopefully we will be back in the Premiership and playing at BMD 

19 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

If I had the money my preparation for the season would definitely be to build a bunker capable of taking a nuclear hit that had enough supplies so that I didn’t have to have any contact with the outside world until at least the start of the 24/25 season when hopefully we will be back in the Premiership and playing at BMD 

You've been reading too much news about the Russia-Ukraine war me thinks. However, I understand the method in your madness.

6 hours ago, London Blue said:

Holgate, Godfrey, Tara, Michalenko, Patterson, DCL, Iwobi, Gordon, Ali, Pickford, Gray, Doucs, are all good.

We need a midfield general and defensive midfielder to bring the best out of the team and a another striker.

The Ali of 4 years ago was good done nothing since, Holgate not good enough for the PL gets a place in our team because we even have worse options than him, Gray very inconsistent player started like a train then fell off a cliff shouldn’t be a starter and wasn’t much under Lampard, Doucoure fools people with his work rate into thinking he’s a good player, I wouldn’t argue that he has a good engine on him but that’s as far as it goes, he possesses practically no vision or ability on the ball whatsoever, Godfrey not convinced anymore with him, he had a real good impact on the team in his first season on his showing last season he could easily turnout to be a one season wonder. 
Patterson I’m hopeful he proves to be a good buy but only had 45 minutes in the first team, so not sure how you can say he’s good, Tara again unproven in an Everton shirt but hopefully he makes a difference. 
Pickford, Mykolenko, Gordon, Iwobi, and DCL are the only ones who I would want in the team from what we’ve got in the squad that I feel would help the team improve going forward, then big hopes for Tara and Patterson, and hopefully one or two of the youngsters break through. 
But still a shit return on over half a billion spent in the transfer market, as I said only 5-6 proven good enough with a couple who hopefully get on that list.  And that’s why we still require CBs and Mids whether attacking or holding and another forward, basically we need another 5-6 players to come straight into the starting eleven.  

On 21/07/2022 at 09:21, Romey 1878 said:

We badly need signings before the first game of the season. We have to do it.

With many of the players we’re linked to playing for Chelsea and them being our first game it makes me think that it’s in Chelsea’s interest to drag things out a little. We do need non-Chelsea signings too but I think we’ll end up with at least 2 from Colwill, Ampadu (throwing this name in), Gilmour, Gallagher (late in the window loan maybe), Barkley or Broja.

On 21/07/2022 at 10:28, Romey 1878 said:

We've built a terrible squad, we really have, and it's biting us on the arse now after our reckless spending.

I was watching the Premier League Years earlier and looked back at our squad after the £140m spend under Koeman/Walsh… this starting line-up less than a month after that spending spree is sickening…

Pickford

Martina

Baines

Keane

Williams

Jagielka

Schneiderlin

Gueye

Davies

Sigurdsson

Rooney

3 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I was watching the Premier League Years earlier and looked back at our squad after the £140m spend under Koeman/Walsh… this starting line-up less than a month after that spending spree is sickening…

Pickford

Martina

Baines

Keane

Williams

Jagielka

Schneiderlin

Gueye

Davies

Sigurdsson

Rooney

And most of them would walk into this team. 

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It's the overpaying (both in transfer fees and wages) for the players that's the real problem and has meant that we've felt the impact of making bad signings twice over.

Not only have the transfer fees fucked us with FFP but then we haven't been able to get rid of those players because we gave them such stupidly inflated wages that no other club would give them if they left.

So we've been stuck with a shit squad and can't bring in players that are better than them until they fuck off on frees.

It pisses me off just how badly we've been run. I feel so much anger towards those that have sanctioned this shite.

Makes you wonder what the worlds biggest Evertonian thought of it. Maybe Phillip Greene not being involved in the club meant that we missed out on that financial genius help. 

37 minutes ago, Btay said:

Arsenal beat chelsea 4-0 today… little bit of perspective perhaps but hopefully chelsea won’t be in top gear come the start of the season 

It’s not the result we are looking at, it’s the performances. Both performances were shit.  That’s about it really.

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

It’s not the result we are looking at, it’s the performances. Both performances were shit.  That’s about it really.

Couldn’t agree more mate. Really hoping we see alot more in the game today & against Kiev