IGNORED

Amadou Onana

Gana and Onana instantly transform our midfield capabilities, having Gana here means a 21 year old Onana has 12-18months to actually properly find his feet and get up to pace with the Premier league. Onana could hit the ground running, but would be far more sensible to have a proven Gana this season, especially as we all know how tough its going to be. All of a sudden having your midfield depending on a 21year old new and unproven in the Premiership is not to smart. He will need time. 

Shocked he wants to come here over West Ham at this present time. We must definitely be in some sort of discussions then.

7 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Hence my previous tweet, I'm not wanting to get my hopes up :lol:.

Tell you what I do love though - West Ham struggled to agree a fee with Lille for him and it looks like we've waited until they found the acceptable number and then we've come in after we've seen it's a figure we can also pay.

That's good business sense.

I wonder how that’s worked?  They seem to have fallen a bit short on another player they are after. 

they have been very busy this summer. 

32 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I wonder how that’s worked?  They seem to have fallen a bit short on another player they are after. 

they have been very busy this summer. 

I just think it's clever what we've done. If we'd made our interest known at the time Lille would have bumped the price right up by playing both clubs against each other, but it's smart that it looks like we've just had a watching brief and once we've seen it's a fee we can afford we've jumped in on it.

If we get the deal done then that's a big tick in Thelwell's favour.

I would imagine if we spent £35m+ on a player he would be expected to start the vast majority of games. But at 20 years old, he's only started 11 games in the Ligue 1 (21 subs appearances on top of this, totalling 1350 minutes).

He's clearly highly thought of, but I'm not expecting him to come in and vastly improve our midfield right away.

On a positive side it would be nice to have an absolute powerhouse in our midfield, something we've lacked since Fellaini. He's 6'5 and looks really quick too, and seems to have good technique.

2 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I would imagine if we spent £35m+ on a player he would be expected to start the vast majority of games. But at 20 years old, he's only started 11 games in the Ligue 1 (21 subs appearances on top of this, totalling 1350 minutes).

He's clearly highly thought of, but I'm not expecting him to come in and vastly improve our midfield right away.

On a positive side it would be nice to have an absolute powerhouse in our midfield, something we've lacked since Fellaini. He's 6'5 and looks really quick too, and seems to have good technique.

He’s played for the Belgian national side against Holland. 

I think mark pembridge could come in and vastly improve our midfield tbh. 

https://tbrfootball.com/it-worked-frank-lampard-has-now-phoned-midfielder-and-convinced-him-to-join-everton-journalist/

and also just read an article saying Stevie G went to Tarkowskis house to try and persuade him to join him at Villa. If this Onana transfer comes of then the Lampard patter is obviously the best at selling a vison. As Everton are not exactly the easiest sell at the moment.

1 minute ago, Sibdane said:

I will not get excited... I will NOT get excited...

I guess it’s hard to know how much we do have available and over how many years the money will have to be paid but this is certainly surprising if it’s true we’ve made an offer (and it seems to be). Makes more sense if we had moved Gomes, Gbamin, Mina and had that 300k in wages plus some transfer money 

39 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

I’m curious why it looks like a goer if the price is understood to be too high

You are looking at the original tweet dated 6th July. Since then West Ham have had a bid accepted that we have been able to match and he prefers us to them. 

5 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

You are looking at the original tweet dated 6th July. Since then West Ham have had a bid accepted that we have been able to match and he prefers us to them. 

Yea I saw that. We’ve just been operating under the assumption that a signing like this is a bridge too far this window. I’m curious what has changed. Perhaps we had more room than we thought or the deal is structured in a way we can afford.

22 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

I guess it’s hard to know how much we do have available and over how many years the money will have to be paid but this is certainly surprising if it’s true we’ve made an offer (and it seems to be). Makes more sense if we had moved Gomes, Gbamin, Mina and had that 300k in wages plus some transfer money 

How much have the 3 new lads taken out of the Sigurdsson, Delph, Tosun, Kenny, Richarlison wages?

From what I can find online, and obviously take it with a pinch of salt...

GS 100k, FD 80k, CT 60k, JJK 15k, Richy 100k+ (>£350k)

Got to be a few quid left over surely.

Just now, msloan78 said:

How much have the 3 new lads taken out of the Sigurdsson, Delph, Tosun, Kenny, Richarlison wages?

And more to come off the books. I suppose if a deal is structured over 3/4 years the transfer doesn’t cost that much against us this season. Perhaps someone who knows about these things can weigh in. If we do make a signing like this you’d have to give credit to the behind the scenes group. Getting guys like Tarkowski for free and others for small fees the last couple windows would have given us room for this sort of bid. Fair play if it comes off.

29 minutes ago, msloan78 said:

you also lose a players 'cost' off the books as well - for example Gylfi £40m over 5 years will have been mark down as £8m for each season, so this disappears of next seasons books as well. 

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

Yea I saw that. We’ve just been operating under the assumption that a signing like this is a bridge too far this window. I’m curious what has changed. Perhaps we had more room than we thought or the deal is structured in a way we can afford.

That’s the nail on the head, mate. It’s all just assumptions, but it always will be. 

It’s probably a mixture of having more room to work than was rumoured and the deal being structured in a way that suits us. 

2 hours ago, msloan78 said:

Then there's the 640k from James too, that's nearly a million a week!