IGNORED

Fulham (Home) Carabao Cup 19th December

Btay

Shootouts are one of the most studied parts of the game. Going first, composure, scrambling your shot selection and picking your spot and blasting it are important. If you do that and the keeper saves it, too bad. The thing absolutely not to do, if you’re not in the goal, is to showboat and try something flash. You can only end up looking like a dick.

you go to take a penalty in that manner, you have to score it.

They way he took it goes againt the grain of what Dyche has been preaching and what we have been seeing this squad battling to achieve.

anybody can miss a penalty, but missing in this manner means your really do have to own it, he has let a lot of people down tonight, himself included. A moment of pure self indulgence has seen us out of a cup semi final. I did have my concerns when he stepped up.

He has to learn and grow from this. 

1 minute ago, RuffRob said:

They way he took it goes againt the grain of what Dyche has been preaching and what we have been seeing this squad battling to achieve.

anybody can miss a penalty, but missing in this manner means your really do have to own it, he has let a lot of people down tonight, himself included. A moment of pure self indulgence has seen us out of a cup semi final. I did have my concerns when he stepped up.

It was the penalty of a player who thinks they are too big for the club.   I don’t think he will be here next season put it that way.  

25 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

It was the penalty of a player who thinks they are too big for the club.   I don’t think he will be here next season put it that way.  

I want to know who decided he could take it I knew he wouldn’t score and I felt the same with Gana Pickford should have been a taker. 

22 minutes ago, patto said:

I want to know who decided he could take it I knew he wouldn’t score and I felt the same with Gana Pickford should have been a taker. 

Dyche said they all wanted to take one and stone picked them based on stats.  Dyche said that was Onana’s style….. I don’t think so. No way would he get picked if it was.  

im guessing the dressing room chat would have been lively 

Tonight was one game too many for that set of players. We looked tired right from the off and really struggled to get any sort of pattern on play going.

McNeil looked fucked from the first whistle, as did DCL, Tarkowski looked shaky, Branthwaite at LB did not work at all, Pickford's kicking was abysmal and cost us for Fulham's goal, Harrison is a conundrum because he puts so much effort in but he loses the ball too often for me.

I know Keane scored an oggy but I thought he was decent other than that. Garner had a solid game. Gueye was brilliant at harrying and winning the ball back. Onana was great other than that penalty. Danjuma looked handy when he came on and Beto caused their defenders a lot of problems when he came on as well (and obviously scored).

It just wasn't a good game from us but, despite that, we still should have had that game won and not even needed a late equaliser to take it to penalties.

It is what it is and I'm not going to dwell on it too much.

3 hours ago, RuffRob said:

A moment of pure self indulgence....

I have seen this sort of PK a few times.  Often fails.

It reminds me of a now-common “shot” in basketball in the U.S., especially college bball.  It’s very common for a player, especially on a breakaway, to take the ball to the hoop for a thunderous windmill-slam-dunk, more and more frequently, one-handed.  Showy, self-indulgent, look-at-me.

I refer to this as a “thunder-dumb,” as sometimes, too often, the preening player actually misses what should be a sure 2 points.  My response is invariably, “Sure hope we don’t need that 2 points.”

This basketball play is stupidly violent.  Onana’s was stupidly over-clever.  “Look at me.”

Seems likely this will haunt him.  Hope it inspires him, instead, to excellent play from now on.  Want to see relentlessness, not cleverness.

My overriding feeling upon waking up this morning is just being totally gutted, rather than angry or anything like that, because it just feels like such a missed opportunity and just compounds the sentiment that we're destined never to win the League Cup!

The players were absolutely goosed, didn't play well, but we were still the better side. Concede a sloppy goal but equalise just before the end, which should have given us the advantage going in to the penalties. We then won the toss to decide which end for the shoot-out, then we also won the toss to get to go first. It was all in our favour and then we blew it.

Onana's penalty was diabolical, it really was, but we win and lose as a team. I'm sure the players and management will be getting round him to stop him getting too down and it impacting future, but he'll know himself he messed up and he seems the type of player that will want to make amends. His actions at the end of the game certainly suggest that.

As our manager would say, it's time to park this one and move on to Saturday.

Having watched the highlights I realised how bad Fulham were  I don’t think they had a shot on target other than the penalty’s 

when Dyche took DCL and Harrison off he obviously didn’t think about a penalty shoot out I’m thinking the bubble has burst and we have a few bad results coming I hope I’m wrong but we need additions in January if we are allowed. 
A left back a midfielder and striker. 

56 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

My overriding feeling upon waking up this morning is just being totally gutted, rather than angry or anything like that, because it just feels like such a missed opportunity and just compounds the sentiment that we're destined never to win the League Cup!

The players were absolutely goosed, didn't play well, but we were still the better side. Concede a sloppy goal but equalise just before the end, which should have given us the advantage going in to the penalties. We then won the toss to decide which end for the shoot-out, then we also won the toss to get to go first. It was all in our favour and then we blew it.

Onana's penalty was diabolical, it really was, but we win and lose as a team. I'm sure the players and management will be getting round him to stop him getting too down and it impacting future, but he'll know himself he messed up and he seems the type of player that will want to make amends. His actions at the end of the game certainly suggest that.

As our manager would say, it's time to park this one and move on to Saturday.

Win and lose as a team indeed.  He decided to make it about himself and he certainly found out that he achieved that for the wrong reasons.

I can’t fathom in my head how he got to the conclusion that type of penalty was ok.  Even if you were 90% sure you would score it you do not make it at a pace that a toddler could stop it. 

their keeper was reading the shots so to gamble on him guessing was sheer stupidity… no just arrogance 

14 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Agree. Take your shot properly and have saved, or even miss, and no one can complain. It’s immaturity that lead to that, infuriating and he’ll have to look his team mates in the eye too, but as long as he learns from it, it’s ok.

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Win and lose as a team indeed.  He decided to make it about himself and he certainly found out that he achieved that for the wrong reasons.

I can’t fathom in my head how he got to the conclusion that type of penalty was ok.  Even if you were 90% sure you would score it you do not make it at a pace that a toddler could stop it. 

their keeper was reading the shots so to gamble on him guessing was sheer stupidity… no just arrogance 

What I will say is that he's young and hopefully he'll learn from this. Yes, he should know to put the team first (and I'm sure he does know it) but sometimes when you're young you need a harsh lesson to really ram a point home.

I think it'll accelerate how he matures.

30 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

What I will say is that he's young and hopefully he'll learn from this. Yes, he should know to put the team first (and I'm sure he does know it) but sometimes when you're young you need a harsh lesson to really ram a point home.

I agree, this definately helps Dyche reinforce with him (and all in the team) - and as he phrases it - we need to be 'authentic' in what we do. Substance over style. Cut out the bullshit. 

If Onana had a good solid shot saved (similar to Gana), hit the woodwork or even blasted over the top - I would have been pat on the back and arms around him - a well done for stepping up - we win and lose as a team. Instead the narrative on him and the game at the end has an unnessasarly negative edge to it. 

That chance of what would have been a winning penalty to take Everton in to a cup semi final was argubly his biggest individual moment as a footballer - it could (and I hope will) help him develop in to a better player. After all the effort battleing back from a goal down, he definately owes his team mates one. 

The key with all these things is now you react and bounce back from it. 

9 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Exactly right - you could see it in his face how much he was disappointed & when Gana missed it was like Onana owned that is should have never gotten to that point.