IGNORED

What Are You Watching?

Pat

Someone posted part of Stephen Fry's contribution to this debate a while back but I watched the whole thing last night.

"The Catholic Church is a Force for Good in the World"

Pre debate the figures were...

For the motion...678

Against...1102

Undecided...346

After the debate....

For...268

Against...1876

Undecided...34

Quite a spanking, understandable if you watch it.

Someone posted part of Stephen Fry's contribution to this debate a while back but I watched the whole thing last night.

"The Catholic Church is a Force for Good in the World"

Pre debate the figures were...

For the motion...678

Against...1102

Undecided...346

After the debate....

For...268

Against...1876

Undecided...34

Quite a spanking, understandable if you watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZRcYaAYWg4

Can't stand Stephen fry.... probably the most disingenuous, most intelligent person I have seen on tv. Who actually makes me question if he is that intelligent...

Just have a goggle on his views on the subject of abuse. To say he's courted controversy is an understatement.

Personally I see a man who struggles with who he is.

Hypocritical beyond belief.

Edited by Hafnia

Went to see Baby Driver the other day. Don't let the title of you off it's well worth a watch. Every scene is rhythmic such as the gun shots to the beat of the music. Some will hate it, but if you can turn your brain off it's a very good action movie.

Can't stand Stephen fry.... probably the most disingenuous, most intelligent person I have seen on tv. Who actually makes me question if he is that intelligent...

Just have a goggle on his views on the subject of abuse. To say he's courted controversy is an understatement.

Personally I see a man who struggles with who he is.

Hypocritical beyond belief.

Couldn't disagree more on every point.

Have you watched it Haf? I appreciate you're a Catholic and there many many good Catholic people but Widdicombe and the Archbishop were totally destroyed, Fry speaking so convincingly without recourse to notes shows a massive intellect. And he has a very good first touch I'm told.

Couldn't disagree more on every point.

He opposes abuse in this debate... rightly so.

Yet has made some absolutely disgraceful comments on the subject. Wrote a comedy about paedophilia... said there should be laws made to deter abuse victims coming forward when operation yewtree was in full flow.

Spoke of feeling sorry for straight men because he thinks women dont enjoy sex....

Said victims of abuse should grow up... self pity is the ugliest human trait...

Very well read bloke with excellent ability to recall facts... gains a massive following but I'm not taken in by him one bit.

He opposes abuse in this debate... rightly so.

Yet has made some absolutely disgraceful comments on the subject. Wrote a comedy about paedophilia... said there should be laws made to deter abuse victims coming forward when operation yewtree was in full flow.

Spoke of feeling sorry for straight men because he thinks women dont enjoy sex....

Said victims of abuse should grow up... self pity is the ugliest human trait...

Very well read bloke with excellent ability to recall facts... gains a massive following but I'm not taken in by him one bit.

I'm not going to respond to all that because it'd take a lot of time but I'm 100% certain if Mr Fry were a member he'd destroy your points as effectively as he did those in the debate.

I'm not going to respond to all that because it'd take a lot of time but I'm 100% certain if Mr Fry were a member he'd destroy your points as effectively as he did those in the debate.

I'm sure he would tie me up in some sort of pseudo intellectual psychobabble that would have 99% of the population stuttering and stammering.... he knows this quite well. A bit like a fella who is 6ft 8 and 25st kicking sand at a 5ft 10 bloke lying on the floor.... pretty sure he could do fuck all about it... bullying really.

I would have to be honest enough to admit to not have a fuckin clue about 99% of the stuff he was coming out with but I would stick to the facts....

That he has actually said the following....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10966212/Does-Stephen-Fry-ever-think-before-he-opens-his-mouth.html

This article summarises much of what I've said to save you doing any needless searches.

No doubt the fella could sit next to anyone at a dinner party and impress them with all sorts of shit. Personally I find him an irritating gobshite.

Muhammad Ali had a low I.Q probably miniscule next to fry... he never always said the right things and in some ways could be quite cruel. But for me he was the closest thing to a human being having the most supreme "proper" intelligence and warmth.

There is something about Fry that doesn't sit right with me... each to their own.

His sexuality seems to be the presiding factor over many of his views and annoyances.

Immensely intelligent man who's views on religion I wholeheartedly agree with

There are varying ways of assessing intelligence... he certainly is an intellectual peacock. Does that have me sold on what he says is right? Nope.

George w Bush I.Q apparently position him in the top 16% of the population...

It's very easy to get intimidated by people like fry.

I worked for a boss with an uncanny ability to recall quotes, read all sorts of books, an ability to argue like no one else... stick data in front of him in the most simplistic form to discuss and he would sweat...however if you told him what the data was clearly stating.... he would recall it and use it for months..

probably the most morally corrupt prick I've worked for too.

You cite the Telegraph you lose me. Sorry.

The article aggregates much of what it is I'm talking about.

If you want to use them as means of further research then it's all out there from various news feeds.

Edited by Hafnia

How does it? He was actually quoted saying it in attitude magazine.

https://youtu.be/eVLftdTw41c

"You have my sympathy" Stephen Fry. Obviously he's on about the arts and is upset that his work is being attacked, emotions taking over making it come across a tactless. Not enough to string him up though.

Do you believe there should be restrictions on art?

Finally catching up with American Gods. I can understand why Bill gave up; its completely different to the version I had in my head, at least the way it's portrayed. Love how accurate to the book it is, and the different perspective is very interesting. But it is a bit.... weird and full-on

Edited by Matt

"You have my sympathy" Stephen Fry. Obviously he's on about the arts and is upset that his work is being attacked, emotions taking over making it come across a tactless. Not enough to string him up though.

Do you believe there should be restrictions on art?

Are you joking? No... i think you need to join the dots together....

He wrote a "comedy" about paedophilia which was slated as grotesque and was not touched. It seems he is pathetically trying to pass off his "art" as something that if "your uncle touched you in a bad place" then get over it.... grow up?!

Ah... but if anyone expresses any views of homophobia and he is outraged... would he be told to grow up?

Ironically... the man who was on his side in the tv debate passed away a few years ago. His brother was a Christian who fry took it upon to seek out and argue about religion at his brothers funeral... classy eh.

The man has a record of talking in ways that offend and he has an uncanny ability to do his faux outrage act. As I say... complete and utter gobshite. Waste of a brain.

I've been clear as to why I don't like him in very factual ways... if you like him fine. But the facts are there.

Btw... liking Stephen fry doesn't make you as bad as a person who says that victims of abuse should "grow up".

He wrote a "comedy" about paedophilia which was slated as grotesque and was not touched. It seems he is pathetically trying to pass off his "art" as something that if "your uncle touched you in a bad place" then get over it.... grow up?!

Ah... but if anyone expresses any views of homophobia and he is outraged... would he be told to grow up?

Ironically... the man who was on his side in the tv debate passed away a few years ago. His brother was a Christian who fry took it upon to seek out and argue about religion at his brothers funeral... classy eh.

The man has a record of talking in ways that offend and he has an uncanny ability to do his faux outrage act. As I say... complete and utter gobshite. Waste of a brain.

I've been clear as to why I don't like him in very factual ways... if you like him fine. But the facts are there.

Btw... liking Stephen fry doesn't make you as bad as a person who says that victims of abuse should "grow up".

He's upset about his work, and you are taking the grow up completely out of context.

As for paedophiles I'd happily pay for the rope. But that doesn't mean I've never laughed at a joke E.g. 'Why do paedophiles always have beards and glasses? What is it about that look that children find so sexy?' Frankie Boyle

as bad? It doesn't make you bad at all

Watched Fate of the furious (8) and Power Rangers last night.

F8 - Typical OTT, rediculous film. Enjoyable, if you turn your brain off. VERY predictable. 6/10

PR - Better than expected but some dumb notes. Actually liked the characters, but the end 20 mins feels rushed and not earned (bear in mind it's over 2 hours long). They only get their armour in the last 20 mins and they go from 'kids' to martial art experts. Can drive the zords at the first time of asking? Would loved to have seen them practice in them or the reveal to be a bit more dramatic. First 90 mins was good though, liked it. 6/10