IGNORED

Enner Valencia

It will take time for Valencia to fit into the side and for the rest of the players to understand how he likes the ball to be played. From the brief showing tonight, he has pace, good touch and can take players on. He is a small lad so will have to work on how we get the best out of him.

I thought he was notorious for having a shite though? Or so I've heard I've never actually seen it.

Don't know how anyone can judge him (either way) from that. The game was gone, we were barely even trying by the time he came on.

I hope he starts against Norwich. That'll be a much better game to judge him on.

Why not? I can think of at least three players in the last three years that were judged here on fewer minutes play than this!

Truth is, though, you're quite right. It takes time for players to adapt, and more than just a few minutes. Let's see how things stand after three or four games.

He started the game really well and I was thinking maybe we do have a handy player after all. But after the first 10 minutes of the game he was nowhere. However, I don't think that was entirely down to himself. We didn't have players supporting him (where was Barkley? Where was Geri?), and for some reason we were lumping high balls up to him and expecting him to win them. I would like to him play with another striker next to him and I think Kone should have come on a lot earlier to do that job.

Valencia didn't help himself though. He offered no presence in the box and when balls were played into good positions he was on his heels waiting for the ball instead of attacking it. That may come with time as he gets used to the squad but he doesn't seem to have the instinct of a natural striker.

Valencia didn't help himself though. He offered no presence in the box and when balls were played into good positions he was on his heels waiting for the ball instead of attacking it. That may come with time as he gets used to the squad but he doesn't seem to have the instinct of a natural striker.

thats what i was saying, Ron just wanted to see what he got, he didn't get much so I'd expect to see Kone in the FA Cup matches.