IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

Let’s face it. Man Utd are a joke. They need  basically a reboot. Arsenal are shite with that defence and midfield and with no big dough being spent, Chelsea we all know about and spurs have a limited squad but continue to over achieve. Wolves have a good team but may get found out next season with euros and players wanting the  next move on. I’m sure we will be discounted again pre season but if we can get a striker or winger that marcel and Marco are happy with that will ensure us the goals or quality to make that extra difference we will be in the mix. 

3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Bar Chelsea every team that’s been mentioned are going to improve their squads not just us, you are talking like we are the only ones who are going to buy new players and we are going to then come up against the same teams of last season, just being realistic I can’t see us finishing fourth next season. 

The top 2 are set, and while losing Eriksen would hurt, I think the Spurs are still top 4. Chelsea with Hazard is still pretty loaded, ban or not, they just need a decent manager (Lampard?)  ManU is going to have lots of new parts to get sorted, Arsenal...not  sure what to make of them. The advantage we should have is that we don't need an overhaul, just a couple quality additions and depth and we'll have consistency on our side. ManU and Arsenal are the teams we supplant to get up to 5th. That seems like a reasonably ambitious goal to set. If Chelsea or Spurs regress significantly and we can capitalize, 4th is possible - but I think that's a stretch. I'd be pretty happy to see us consolidate our gains and grind our way into the Europa spot. That won't be easy, but I think an awful lot of stars would have to align finish any higher.

37 minutes ago, Ghoat said:

The top 2 are set, and while losing Eriksen would hurt, I think the Spurs are still top 4. Chelsea with Hazard is still pretty loaded, ban or not, they just need a decent manager (Lampard?)  ManU is going to have lots of new parts to get sorted, Arsenal...not  sure what to make of them. The advantage we should have is that we don't need an overhaul, just a couple quality additions and depth and we'll have consistency on our side. ManU and Arsenal are the teams we supplant to get up to 5th. That seems like a reasonably ambitious goal to set. If Chelsea or Spurs regress significantly and we can capitalize, 4th is possible - but I think that's a stretch. I'd be pretty happy to see us consolidate our gains and grind our way into the Europa spot. That won't be easy, but I think an awful lot of stars would have to align finish any higher.

hazard is gone from chelsea.  sold to real madrid.  i disagree and don't think they are loaded.  old giroud, willian ross barkley pedro none of them strike fear into me.  

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Bar Chelsea every team that’s been mentioned are going to improve their squads not just us, you are talking like we are the only ones who are going to buy new players and we are going to then come up against the same teams of last season, just being realistic I can’t see us finishing fourth next season. 

As an American, I'm always struck by this notion that every team needs to be constantly adding to their squad or falling behind. While there is certainly excitement over free agency in American sports the urgency isn't the same. Often just having the same team back and healthy with another year for the younger players to progress is just fine. There is so much turnover in football that I wonder if teams might sometimes be better off getting the guys they have to work better as a unit and develop together rather then bringing in 3,4,5,10 new players each window. We were a top 4 side or so the second half of the season. If you  told me that we had all the same 1st team players back again with one or two additions and some deadwood cleared out I'd be thrilled. I don't always see the need for an arms race, particularly when we are competing against teams with more bullets than us. Just my take, I'm curious what others think.

13 minutes ago, Ghoat said:

Chelsea haven’t got Hazard anymore and that will definitely hurt them, but enough for us to make up 18-19 points I don’t think so, then Spurs are reportedly going on there biggest spending spree for years, City and the shite forget it we’re talking years before we can consider making that sort of ground up, so for me that’s your top 4 for next season. 

That leaves us Wolves Utd and Arsenal to over haul, I can see us finishing higher than Wolves they will have a tough time next season with Europe coming into play unless they have enough money to strengthen their squad, but it should be a given we finish above them. 

Then we have Arsenal and Utd, I think Utd will improve on last season even without Pogba and Lukaku, they will buy 3-4 top players and the dressing room detractors will be gone and if things don’t start to well possibly a new manager by November, but they will improve on last season, Arsenal may give us the best opportunity to finish sixth I don’t think they will spend the sort of money they require to make the improvements they need, also I’m not a great fan of their manager and I cannot see him turning it around, but it will still prove difficult to make that amount of ground up but not impossible if they play below last seasons standards. 

2 hours ago, Ghoat said:

On the flip side. if Gana goes we will have less chances due to the drop off in recoveries, tackles, interceptions and such, unless we get a package deal with Zouma and Kante.

I enjoy watching Eriksen play, but if he leaves Spurs I hope it's for another league. He would be a massive upgrade for just about every squad, and that does us no favors.

I'll not turn it into a Gana thread so will say a preemptive agree to disagree. 

Agree on Eriksen. He's a class above most and only for a bit of pace would have been in the very top bracket. Helped towards 20 goals last year but was more important in dictating the play. Will be a big miss for them and the neutral fans. 

Hazard's 30 goals gone and no striker will see Chelsea fall down a few places surely. 

49 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

As an American, I'm always struck by this notion that every team needs to be constantly adding to their squad or falling behind. While there is certainly excitement over free agency in American sports the urgency isn't the same. Often just having the same team back and healthy with another year for the younger players to progress is just fine. There is so much turnover in football that I wonder if teams might sometimes be better off getting the guys they have to work better as a unit and develop together rather then bringing in 3,4,5,10 new players each window. We were a top 4 side or so the second half of the season. If you  told me that we had all the same 1st team players back again with one or two additions and some deadwood cleared out I'd be thrilled. I don't always see the need for an arms race, particularly when we are competing against teams with more bullets than us. Just my take, I'm curious what others think.

The likes of Ajax is the model we should be after in terms of football. They have a stash of money and keep progressing football players to the point the have that many clubs lining up for their players they don’t have to sell. Obviously marcel will know all about that and his own mantra about things. We have tons of talent coming through. People are taking about Bowen at Hull for £20 mill but we have younger players similar to him already in the wings. 

56 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Welcome by the way great post 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

hazard is gone from chelsea.  sold to real madrid.  i disagree and don't think they are loaded.  old giroud, willian ross barkley pedro none of them strike fear into me.  

Bah, key typo. I think Chelsea WITHOUT Hazard is still petty loaded. Funny how a couple/three letters changes everything. I think they still have damn good squad, but the manager/system will be interesting to see. They are aging, and the may feel the effects of the ban more in the following season than the upcoming.

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

The likes of Ajax is the model we should be after in terms of football. They have a stash of money and keep progressing football players to the point the have that many clubs lining up for their players they don’t have to sell. Obviously marcel will know all about that and his own mantra about things. We have tons of talent coming through. People are taking about Bowen at Hull for £20 mill but we have younger players similar to him already in the wings. 

Thank you. I’ve been an intermittent contributor  around here as you can see by my modest post count but I do appreciate the welcome. Good shout on Ajax. It’s a difficult problem for us. In order to attract the type of players who will allow us to consistently compete with the top 6 and truly bridge the gap we need European football/monster spending. Unfortunately, those types of players are not likely to come to a club who doesn’t play in Europe. I think we are going about it the right way though. We took a bit of a gamble on Richie and it worked out. We were able to steal a guy like Digne who was blocked at Barca. We are not so far away now. If we were to crack the top 6 this season with a new stadium on the horizon I think the floodgates might open. Suddenly, we are a very promising club with a great history who has a lot going for it. Once the perception of us starts to change we should be able to attract a higher caliber of player and consistently put ourselves in the top 6. 

7 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

Thank you. I’ve been an intermittent contributor  around here as you can see by my modest post count but I do appreciate the welcome. Good shout on Ajax. It’s a difficult problem for us. In order to attract the type of players who will allow us to consistently compete with the top 6 and truly bridge the gap we need European football/monster spending. Unfortunately, those types of players are not likely to come to a club who doesn’t play in Europe. I think we are going about it the right way though. We took a bit of a gamble on Richie and it worked out. We were able to steal a guy like Digne who was blocked at Barca. We are not so far away now. If we were to crack the top 6 this season with a new stadium on the horizon I think the floodgates might open. Suddenly, we are a very promising club with a great history who has a lot going for it. Once the perception of us starts to change we should be able to attract a higher caliber of player and consistently put ourselves in the top 6. 

That is all very feasible for the future but not next season, without wishing to sound like I don’t want success because I disagree with those who believe that fourth place next season is a real possibility, I again say that sixth or seventh would be a fantastic achievement in only the second season from the Brands and Silva partnership and a more realistic goal. 

For all Evertonians expectations for this club have been huge and rightfully so we are a proper football club with proper supporters and a long and proud history, and we are most definitely on the right track to being back to where we belong at the top, but it’s going to be a slow process and a few years in the making to undo the mistakes if you like of the last 25 years or so but it’s happening. 

COYB I love this club. 

Arsenal have the firepower but the midfield and defence are so poor. They have lost Ramsey and ozil phones it most games. I just don’t see where Chelsea are going to make up for the loss of hazard. I think upfront they are very short of quality and ageing at the back. I’ll wait to see what spurs do in the window but I think united are in serious trouble of being way off the pace. I just can’t see them giving ole the time to change them around. They look in absolute dissary. I’d hate to see a wolves or a Leicester go for it and eat it. You never know what can happen if you get a really good start. We have some really good players at the club that would walk into the teams above I mentioned. If we carry on with the sound back five that have kept clean sheet after clean sheet and add a left footer and a striker that can create for himself I think we will be close 

We need Zouma or a proper CB, we need a striker who can manage 15 goals plus and if Richy and Siggy continue their form next year we will have a good all round team to compete, especially if we manage to bring in a right back and right winger as well. 

Once you have the quality you need the mentality though, which for me will be the hardest part. However I do think Silva has it in him to convince them they are a top 6 team. 

They were saying it as if Gomes had already signed. Well that’s the way I read it. We must have a right back lined up if they have let kenny go so early unless they see Holgate as a better back up, or they see him as a utility player that can cover as centre back aswell. A striker is a must aswell as a left footed wide man and Zouma or a other. 

With the players due to report back for preseason training on the 1st July should we expect to have the majority of our targets in place by the end of next week. 

I ask this because it would give the new signings the maximum amount of time to settle in, we keep seeing that we are supposedly looking for 4-5 players if that is the case surely Brands and Silva would have had a shortlist made up before last season ended so they could get on with doing the deals as soon as the window opened. 

If we don’t see the majority of our purchases concluded with in the next couple of weeks it would for me be quite disappointing we need to get everyone up to speed as a team sooner rather than later, last season was a good example of that with new signings coming in late and in different degrees of fitness. 

In a perfect world palfy that would be ideal but it’s all down to agents and players. You can’t do it like the old days and say you have until July the first for example. They will just say fuck off. Hopeful marcel has the contacts and the scouting network that he has options. Maybe he wants to spend big on option one, say a striker but if he doesn’t get him he goes to option two for less money. That might mean we have more money in the pot and our options change for another position. We really have no idea but the good thing for me is finally I’m happy we have the right man in charge of it 

21 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Must have caught it at just the right time during testing because the website is back to normal. Whenever they do roll it out, it was really nice. 

Yup I saw it as well, made me change my password before I could log in due to the "relaunch", looked good.