IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

It's from the Sun so I won't link it, but this kinda makes me happy. The only thing for me is any injury to DCL would probably cripple us. Saying that, Tosun hasn't played for a while, and with this midfield maybe he would actually come in and do a job with the amount of chances he would get. Are we happy with this depth? 

Screenshot_20201010_110655.jpg

On 07/10/2020 at 11:58, Matt said:

Come January, I expect a few big contracts for DCL and Richarlison 

I really don’t think Richarlison will be committing himself to longer and improved contract anytime soon, I believe he will wait till the death to see what his options are. 

14 minutes ago, Hoof_It_Nev said:

It's from the Sun so I won't link it, but this kinda makes me happy. The only thing for me is any injury to DCL would probably cripple us. Saying that, Tosun hasn't played for a while, and with this midfield maybe he would actually come in and do a job with the amount of chances he would get. Are we happy with this depth? 

Screenshot_20201010_110655.jpg

Gbamin not playing for so long and Tosun still In pieces on the physio table are the only two issues for me. Well, that and Iwobi not being very good but I’d just swap him for Gordon anyway. I also wonder how Gbamin got in there above Delph. 

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

I really don’t think Richarlison will be committing himself to longer and improved contract anytime soon, I believe he will wait till the death to see what his options are. 

Smart move for him. If we have a fantastic season he can choose to stay and sign longterm. If we don’t and there are huge offers from some of the biggest clubs in the world, well.. It will certainly be one of our biggest focuses over the next year. 

8 minutes ago, London Blue said:

He signed a contract extension in December 2019, which shows commitment to us. I know contracts count for little, but his price tag if he goes will be  around £100,000000, and with Barcelona's financial problems I cant see many clubs, except Real that could afford him.

I would bet there will be a couple of others but I hear ya. If he has a good year I think he could actually go for a little more in a normal climate. He lacks a little bit of judgement in the attacking third sometimes but has got the rest. I’m actually more impressed by his defensive work rate than anything else. For a striker/winger who is that good going forward to contribute so much defensively on a consistent basis is what really makes him special.

8 hours ago, StevO said:

Gbamin not playing for so long and Tosun still In pieces on the physio table are the only two issues for me. Well, that and Iwobi not being very good but I’d just swap him for Gordon anyway. I also wonder how Gbamin got in there above Delph. 

Im not Iwobis biggest fan but thought he did really well against Brighton. 

Im happy to leave the squad how it is for this season to see how Carlo can develop the fringe players (minus those that really dont have a future at the club). 

Iwobi is not a winger, although he can play there he is a wide midfield player who drifts inside. He has very good movement, passing and is a smart player, he is not the fastest but is quick for a midfielder.

He is creative and can score goals. I think he has been misused, due to necessity and poor management by Silva. Under Carlo and playing in a strong midfield I think he like Bernard can be a very useful player for us. When he starts he will create goals and chip in with some. 

I am glad we have him and Bernard.  

On 10/10/2020 at 21:56, London Blue said:

Iwobi is not a winger, although he can play there he is a wide midfield player who drifts inside. He has very good movement, passing and is a smart player, he is not the fastest but is quick for a midfielder.

He is creative and can score goals. I think he has been misused, due to necessity and poor management by Silva. Under Carlo and playing in a strong midfield I think he like Bernard can be a very useful player for us. When he starts he will create goals and chip in with some. 

I am glad we have him and Bernard.  

I agree, I am actually an Awobi fan. I think he is a decent player with a lot of qualities.

Not a great debut season for him last season, but not a lot went his way last year in a bedding in season. A deadline day transfer, new club etc, team around him playing pretty poor from the day he arrived, the burden of being a big money signing, injury, COVID etc. I think people have been a little quick to criticise him in his first 12months - as I don't think he was a particularly popular signing, given the money we paid. I think people have generally been cutting a relatively poor Moise Kean a lot more slack than they have to Awobi on his debut season. 

I think now he has been here a year, the team is playing better and the 'pressure' is off him a little after being our big money deadline day signing, I think we will see a lot more from him and he will be a valuable member of the squad.

One thing I have noticed is that he does take 10mins or so to get up to speed of a game when he comes on off the bench - and this also seems to exaggerate 'sloppy' play sometime, as you look at subs to have an instant positive impact on the game, so a few bad tu

I mentioned it during the transfer window - the quality of the signing coming in will have the double bubble effect of not just improving the squad by their presence but by 'lifting' the performances of players already here. I think Awobi is definitely already showing signs of this. 

On 05/10/2020 at 22:22, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Thank you @markjazzbassist  

IN: Nkounkou, Allan, James, Doucoure, Godfrey
OUT: Schneiderlin, Hornby, Baines (retired), Dowell, Sandro, Walcott (loan then contract ends)
LOAN IN: Olsen
LOAN OUT: Markelo, Gibson, Adeniran, Kean

YOUTH: Jagne
YOUTH pro deals: Markelo, Ouzounidis, Quirk, Kristensen, McAllister, Hagan, Onyango, Kouyate, Whitaker, Welch, Price
CONTRACT EXT: Branthwaite, Keane, Gordon, J Virginia

OFFICIALLY RELEASED: Stekelenberg(Ajax), Niasse, Martina, Garbutt (Blackpool), Feeney (Sunderland), Denny (Salford), Foulds, Adedoyin (Sheff Wed), Mampala, Phillips (Huddersfield)

Hopefully Lossl and J Virginia both go out on loan. Lossl could be sold. With Godfrey in would be nice to get Branthwaite out playing as well. Still have Besic, Beni, Bolasie, Connolly, Pennington, Broadhead, and Bowler who need new clubs. If we're looking for an attacker Josh King, Benrahama or Deeney can still be brought in. Hopefully we're not done yet. 

Still stunned we have so many players on the books. Bowler is hurt so he stays until January, but Beni, Connolly and Pennington need to go if they hope to have any future as professionals. Broadhead and JVirginia could certainly use a loan or the case of the GK we need to sell Lossl. Bolasie will ride out his deal and frankly I don't blame him. Besic is a toss up. Looks like the only possible addition is a late run at Josh King, we'll see. Would like to see at least 5 out the door in the next 24 hours...

12 hours ago, c1982 said:

Bolasie off to Boro.

Not sure, Warnock doesn't seem to massively rate him, although he's got him summed up pretty spot on 😅

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/middlesbrough-transfer-striker-yannick-bolasie-19113502

Warnock knows Bolasie well having managed him at Crystal Palace and was asked his thoughts on the forward.

He said: "He can be frustrating. One minute he's unbelievable and the next minute you think, 'Is he even a footballer?'

"He's a good lad but whether that will come off I don't know."

• 2 weeks later...

Final

IN: Nkounkou, Allan, James, Doucoure, Godfrey
OUT: Schneiderlin, Hornby, Baines (retired), Dowell, Sandro
LOAN IN: Olsen
LOAN OUT: Markelo, Gibson, Adeniran, Kean, Walcott, Connolly

YOUTH: Jagne
YOUTH pro deals: Markelo, Ouzounidis, Quirk, Kristensen, McAllister, Hagan, Onyango, Kouyate, Whitaker, Welch, Price
CONTRACT EXT: Branthwaite, Keane, Gordon, J Virginia

OFFICIALLY RELEASED: Stekelenberg(Ajax), Niasse, Martina, Garbutt (Blackpool), Feeney (Sunderland), Denny (Salford), Foulds (Como 1907), Adedoyin (Sheff Wed), Mampala (QPR), Phillips (Huddersfield), Tarashaj

• 3 months later...

Sorry to put cart before horse here as we still have so much to play for this year, but thinking about transfers is how I mend wounds like getting embarrassed by Fulham at home.

While we’re in a good place make no mistake we have another big summer coming up with the Euros to complicate things.

CONTRACT ENDS AFTER SEASON: Besic, Bolasie, Walcott, Pennington, Adeniran, Connolly, King, Olsen 

Squad for 21/22:
GK: Pickford, J Virginia
DEF: Keane, Mina, Holgate, Godfrey, Digne, Coleman, Nkounkou, Kenny, Branthwaite
MID: Allan, Doucoure, Gomes, Davies, Siggy, Gbamin, Delph, Beni 
FWD: DCL, Richarlison, James, Iwobi, Bernard, Kean, Gordon, Tosun, Simms

if we don’t sign Olsen permanently we definitely need another gk. Personally I don’t think Pickford or Olsen are good enough but I guess will have to do for another season. 
we DESPERATELY need a RB. Good at CB, would like to see what we could get for holgate or Mina. LB is set. DM is good with Allan doucoure Davies gbamin and onyango, would love to sell delph and Beni. Would love to sell Gomes and siggy to fund a proper no10. Would expect Bernard to leave. sell tosun, let’s hope Kean is ready to play for us...if not need another striker. 

So that’s a gk, rb, no10, winger, striker - assuming kean wants out

19 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Sorry to put cart before horse here as we still have so much to play for this year, but thinking about transfers is how I mend wounds like getting embarrassed by Fulham at home.

While we’re in a good place make no mistake we have another big summer coming up with the Euros to complicate things.

CONTRACT ENDS AFTER SEASON: Besic, Bolasie, Walcott, Pennington, Adeniran, Connolly, King, Olsen 

Squad for 21/22:
GK: Pickford, J Virginia
DEF: Keane, Mina, Holgate, Godfrey, Digne, Coleman, Nkounkou, Kenny, Branthwaite
MID: Allan, Doucoure, Gomes, Davies, Siggy, Gbamin, Delph, Beni 
FWD: DCL, Richarlison, James, Iwobi, Bernard, Kean, Gordon, Tosun, Simms

if we don’t sign Olsen permanently we definitely need another gk. Personally I don’t think Pickford or Olsen are good enough but I guess will have to do for another season. 
we DESPERATELY need a RB. Good at CB, would like to see what we could get for holgate or Mina. LB is set. DM is good with Allan doucoure Davies gbamin and onyango, would love to sell delph and Beni. Would love to sell Gomes and siggy to fund a proper no10. Would expect Bernard to leave. sell tosun, let’s hope Kean is ready to play for us...if not need another striker. 

So that’s a gk, rb, no10, winger, striker - assuming kean wants out

Still lots of work to be done. Targets are probably going to be evaluated once we finish the season. Europe is vital.