IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

7 hours ago, Peter H said:

Olsen is actually very good. Yes theres been a few mistakes but they are few and quite far between. At one point he was carrying Roma.

he rarely makes mistakes in the national team and im sure that he will want to redeem his career. Everton is the perfect place to do that.

upsides:

He is actually (that video aside) a world class stopper

He is a reactional keeper, reflexes are good and for a tall man he hits the ground really fast. 

he is a tall man and will pick out crosses all day long

downsides

he is no good at distributing the ball

his odd mistakes (but few and far between)

i would pick Olsen over Pickford and not because im Swedish

thanks peter, i don't care about distribution because we play out the back all he has to do is roll it to a CB.  

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

Been an amazing transfer window. Brought it some quality player in the right areas of the pitch, and without having to break the bank and paying sensible wages (in football terms).

What has been really interesting is listening to what wages other clubs are paying their players. I think our highest paid players are on between £100K and £140k, which is unbelievable money - and we talk about the high earners on the books.  But we are still a tier or two down on what the 'Top 6 clubs' (to which we are trying to break in to and compete with) are willing and able to pay their top players. 

When you hear that a fringe player like Loftus Cheeks on £150K WTF!!! can that be right? Are Spur really paying Bale £300k a week wages (half his wages!!). Arsenal just bought Partey and his wage will be around £250K - so one player coming in on near double our highest earner and this is just scratching the surface of what these teams are paying the majority of their player. Cavani +£200K a week. 

We are still nowhere near being able to operating in the same transfer market as all the top 6 teams, all of those teams simply operate to a different financial metric than us.  

The sorts of wages that others are paying really put in perspective how well Brands and Co have done in getting in some genuine quality players this summer. 

yes the Ruben wages are stupid, guy doesn't even play at chelsea and is on 150k.  what a joke!  spurs under Potch were 100k and under, he had them working hard and not paying a ton, i think we are trying to do the same.  I am suprised arsenal is paying that much, Wenger was a notorious tight ass, same with Kroenke.  

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I know the next window is only 8 weeks away but I still think we need to bring in another striker before then. If DCL or Richarlison  gets an injury who comes in? 

I would definitely take a punt on Josh King as cover

I like JOsh king, i've said previously i'd want him here.  it would be a smart signing.

With regards to wages - the problem we might have if we have a great season is keeping hold of the players without offering them silly wages and contracts to stay with us. Spurs had to do it with Kane. But for now lets hope its a problem we do have at the end of the season. Great performances and great results. 

Richarlison will only improve his stock this year with the way we are playing - how do we then keep hold of a player like that who might easily next summer have other clubs willing to pay him +£200k.

I suppose we have to get that conveyer belt of quality youngsters being bought, so its good to see the likes of Godfrey etc also coming in, as well as the players that are doing a job now. Great transfer window.   

4 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

With regards to wages - the problem we might have if we have a great season is keeping hold of the players without offering them silly wages and contracts to stay with us. Spurs had to do it with Kane. But for now lets hope its a problem we do have at the end of the season. Great performances and great results. 

Richarlison will only improve his stock this year with the way we are playing - how do we then keep hold of a player like that who might easily next summer have other clubs willing to pay him +£200k.

I suppose we have to get that conveyer belt of quality youngsters being bought, so its good to see the likes of Godfrey etc also coming in, as well as the players that are doing a job now. Great transfer window.   

This problem takes care of itself if we have a successful season. The money we’d get from European competition and being higher up the table in the league would cover much if not all of an increased wage bill. On top of that, if we have a great season we aren’t likely to bring in a whole lot in the next couple of windows which means we spend less on transfers. I mean other than a keeper and some striker competition for DCL there isn’t an obvious area I can see us spending big on over the next couple of windows. Plus we have quite a wealthy owner. If he sees that we can keep these guys with increased wages I have confidence he will pull the trigger. Lot of it is contingent on doing well this year though. The number 1 signing we can make and the best statement of intent over the next couple of years is likely to be the resigning of Richarlison to a longterm deal. Though if he did go I’d imagine it would be for something closer to 100m than 50m. If he can improve his finishing and decision making around the box just a little bit I think he’s a 100m+ player without a doubt. 

8 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

why?  he is happy and we are winning, unless it's barca i don't see it happening.  and barca is in a dire financial situation right now, i doubt they are gonna spend 100m on him.

Because I feel like a powerhouse of a team will come in for him. Barca, Real, Beyern or even Juve. Not disputing his happiness I've always thought he would eventually leave and become one of the worlds greatest. I would love him to stay. Plus if he keeps doing what he's doing itll be well over 100m! 

58 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Because I feel like a powerhouse of a team will come in for him. Barca, Real, Beyern or even Juve. Not disputing his happiness I've always thought he would eventually leave and become one of the worlds greatest. I would love him to stay. Plus if he keeps doing what he's doing itll be well over 100m! 

madrid or barca the only ones i think he would go for, lots of brazilians and portuguese at those clubs so the transition would be easier.  juve or bayern i don't see as enticing, very little brazilians/portuguese, languages very different, also one team leagues.

A good player to have on the bench, especially if you want to shut up shop in the last 20min of a game once DCL or Richarlison have already done the business or as a starter in tough away games where defending from the front is the order of the day. He has shit loads of big game experience as well so not phased playing against the big boys in top of he table clashes.

With us light up front and as a free, I actually think he would be a very good squad player for where we are now, a good swap out for Walcott and Kean. I think he would jump at the chance to join us as well. Only 29 (just), so plenty in the tank for a couple of years.

13 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Danny Welbeck - just left Watford and is now a free agent.  Apparently played well after lockdown after coming back from an injury. Watford can't afford him for another year. 

Noooo I was a big welbeck fan... Loved him as an outside right striker. He's made of China I'm afraid. 

3 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Just putting this out there for those that want a striker, Mario Mandzukic is a free agent after terminating his contract in Qatar. 

Definitely.

A very underrated player. Always wanted him to be shit as I wanted Jela to be above him... then i watched him a few time’s and realised he was light years ahead.

22 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I know the next window is only 8 weeks away but I still think we need to bring in another striker before then. If DCL or Richarlison  gets an injury who comes in? 

I would definitely take a punt on Josh King as cover

50/50 for I agree we could possibly have a problem, but my problem with King is I don’t think he will come that cheap and he will want a minimum 3 year deal on decent money, and probably hardly get on the pitch just taking up valuable wages 🤷‍♂️, like I say    not sure 🤔 

If we get into Champions League I don't see Richarlison leaving unless it was for Barca or Real.

He's got a great manager, a good young team who he will have seen heading in the right direction.

I would also say that if he was going to go he'd go but only if a team is willing to pay what we want for him which would be big big money.

If they won't pay it he won't go and I'm sure he'd get on with things (no doubt looking just as surly but working just as hard as ever!).

Dominic wouldn't be in a rush to leave, Ancelotti has done wonders for him (not forgetting Big Dunc as well) and he has a team that are feeding him chances.  He doesn't seem the type that would chase down the quick buck and glory of a "big side" just because they come knocking.

Plus we're keeping his mate Tom on board to keep him happy! 😃

15 minutes ago, FairWooney said:

If we get into Champions League I don't see Richarlison leaving unless it was for Barca or Real.

He's got a great manager, a good young team who he will have seen heading in the right direction.

I would also say that if he was going to go he'd go but only if a team is willing to pay what we want for him which would be big big money.

If they won't pay it he won't go and I'm sure he'd get on with things (no doubt looking just as surly but working just as hard as ever!).

Dominic wouldn't be in a rush to leave, Ancelotti has done wonders for him (not forgetting Big Dunc as well) and he has a team that are feeding him chances.  He doesn't seem the type that would chase down the quick buck and glory of a "big side" just because they come knocking.

Plus we're keeping his mate Tom on board to keep him happy! 😃

Come January, I expect a few big contracts for DCL and Richarlison