IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

hypothetical (i'm bored at work) situation - he does want to leave. who you replace him with?

alexandre lacazette (lyon)

wissam ben yedder (sevilla)

timo werner (rb leipzig)

andrea belotti (torino)

mauro icardi (inter)

valere germain (monaco)

michy batshuayi (chelsea)

I'd add thoses players, i think they could be realistic targets as well:

Lukasz Teodorczyk (Anderlecht)

Nicolai Jorgensen (Feyenoord) (Koeman was at Feyenoord last weekend, he scored an hattrick + 2 assists)

Moussa Dembélé (Celtic)

Dembélé might be a bit expensive for his young age...

He may well still sign but I think it's pretty conclusive he's turned this one down. If he is adamant he wants to leave in the summer though we should sell him.

MC is spot on, 90 million release clause (if that's true) is too high and I wouldn't blame him for refusing that. Think 60 is too low though, 70 for me or 65 but the release claus doesn't activate until the second year of his new contract. That way we get a guaranteed minimum of 1 more season with him and after that he gets a move if he wishes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0gOcVqTlLk

this is the interview that started it all.

Questions asked in French, answered by Rom in Dutch .. awkward body language.

First time I've actually seen it. He starts off laughing but then goes quite serious! That's completely different to the picture painted by comments about it.

Well, simple for me. Do what you want to do. It's your career. Your life. But there are 2 things we, as fans, need....

1) Lukaku to be honest with the club. If he wants to go, say so. Privately. No more media spotlights. But he has to maintain his level for the remaining 10 games. The annual switch off cannot happen again. Don't act above the club.

2) The club must listen to him and sell him in the summer ASAP for the price that we want. No pissing about all summer then panicking on August 31st. No daft games. Just move on.

Obviously it's all a bit of an unknown. But as reasonable as I'm trying to be, I still can't shake off this frustrating feeling that this Lukaku show rumbles on every year at the same time of year. Even his most hardened fans must feel it a bit too???

I agree Newty, it's a saga yearnin year out. If he wants out just sell him, if he's prepared to pen a new deal but give us another season minimum then look to move on then great but get it sorted one way or the other.

Be arsed with this dragging on until August.

Also, don't believe that the one main striker has to be the out and out top goal scorer.

Again, I'm speaking all 'ifs and buts', but talk of his replacement is always around other proven top notch Champions League strikers.

Personally, I've always been a fan of spreading goals throughout the team. Rather than one man being the focal point.

You look at the redshite. They are the highest scorers at the moment in the league. But their top scorer is on 12 and is more of an attacking mid. Same with Arsenal, score plenty and the top man is more of an attacking mid.

Also, why always look to top strikers in other leagues? You can buy and/or create the top striker, like any player in any position. Spurs are a prime example. Their top 2 scorers, Kane and Alli, haven't been bought in from a top level.

This is why we employ Walsh.

Yes, it's all hypothetical but I don't feel panicked by the prospect of losing Lukaku. There is more than one solution.

I agree Newty, it's a saga yearnin year out. If he wants out just sell him, if he's prepared to pen a new deal but give us another season minimum then look to move on then great but get it sorted one way or the other.

Be arsed with this dragging on until August.

As our squad gets "bigger" and better this is all we'll see -- interest in our players Year in, year out.

I'm embracing the notion that this will start happening more and more.

It's every fuckin year... he's been doing this since he had 5 years left on his deal. It's a fuckin joke - i actually thought for a brief moment that he finally learned - but no. He and his agent have a plan.

This contract has been there for ages - not just the last few weeks.

Why March?.... well it's the month leading up till April. The financial year - clubs will be making provisions for signings now.

Not the first time this has happened.

Time will tell, right? We don't know the inside story at all. No point worrying about what may or may not happen.

I'm not worrying, I've stated if he wants tongo, sell him. I want him to stay but only if he's committed if not let him go.

The point in hand here is he has most definitely refused the contract on the table. Of that there is no doubt.

I'm not worrying, I've stated if he wants tongo, sell him. I want him to stay but only if he's committed if not let him go.

The point in hand here is he has most definitely refused the contract on the table. Of that there is no doubt.

It's only a little island, I think we should buy it for him if he wants it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongo_Island

I am glad Moshiri made the statement he did. I'm sure Rom loves playing for us, he is happy settled and the team is geared to enabling him to score goals. We know he is ambitious and wants to play Champs league and who can blame him. I am sure this is about having a clause in the contract so that if a champs league comes in for him he can go and how much that is.

Lets give him a fair price, and a deadline for each transfer window so we can get a replacement.

This will get sorted.

Governor lukaku - 5 years worth of appeals and stays of executions and he's nearing the point where he says "appeal denied"

Just fucking sign or get gone.

Do some people on here actually believe that the contract offer was constructed without prior discussion with his twat of an agent who will have told the club what salary he wants etc?

Of course it wasn't. They are playing us like a fiddle and using the contract as an opportunity to advertise him wanting to move on.

He's had the best season he's had and he's milking the shit out of it. Fair enough some may say but yet again it gets to the business end of the season and we are talking about his future again.