IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

If have thought Michael Owen was in that.

Just checked. He was on near 70 odd prem goals at 23.

Shearer bashed in 30 goals in 3 consecutive seasons from 22.

Rom can do that if he gets his consistency sorted, no doubt.

Just hope we can turn his goals into success for the club. Imagine if we can keep Lukaku, Barkley, Deloufeu, and Stones together once they peak.

11 goals for the season already and we're not even in December yet. And he's involved in literally everything we do - he's a focal point for sure. I hope this purple patch goes on and on and on!

He's vaulting me are the moment, long may it continue. I still want to see improvement in aspects of his game. I can see clubs preparing a big money offer if he continues this way.

Rom is putting the ball away regularly thisvseason and it's great to see.

11 goals already....we could have a 20 goal striker this year. If he continues like this he could even hit 25!

That should put twenty on top of his price. If he stays and we can keep Ross and Jerry...we could be scary next year.

1 Jamie Vardy Leicester City 13

2 Romelu Lukaku Everton 9

3 Harry Kane Tottenham Hotspur 8

4 Sergio Agüero Manchester City 7

4 Olivier Giroud Arsenal 7 4 Odion Ighalo Watford 7

4 Riyad Mahrez Leicester City 7

5 André Ayew Swansea City 6

5 Alexis Sánchez Arsenal 6

5 Georginio Wijnaldum Newcastle United 6

6 Ross Barkley Everton 5

6 Philippe Coutinho Liverpool 5

6 Arouna Koné Everton 5

6 Dimitri Payet West Ham United 5

6 Callum Wilson AFC Bournemouth 5

Edited by chalkpie

Getting better week by week, can't see us holding on to him, enjoy him while we can.

For what he is capable of we should start at £50million.

Some wanted him sold for less than we paid for him, just to get him of the payroll !!!!

Not the payroll for me - but was concerned that £28m was going to be too much money for a lad that was not performing well enough on a consistent basis - the fact that his inability to link up withy the midfield was leaving us exposed to the counter attack.

AT THAT TIME - I stand by that opinion. If you read back to my opinions of him - they stand up relevant to how he was playing.

With criticism I like to be constructive and my positives of him were that:- his finishing could not be questioned but his overall play was detrimental to the team. Attacks were breaking down and we were conceding goals 5 or 6 passes after the ball had bounced off him up front.

I stated clearly that IF he addressed these issues (which I honestly didnt think he could to the level that he has) then he could be a very good striker. In short we could not have a passenger up front who was just good for finishing moves.

I did actually say at the time that Kone would be a valuable strike partner for him (which was scoffed at) - due to his ability to do the things well that Rom wasnt good at - that is definately the case, moreso the fact that Rom seems to have learned more from Kone than he did from Eto.

I will keep an eye on him though when it comes to his "effort" levels. I do think he needs watching in this regard, but since the derby game his levels have been impressive - aside from Rom himself it is clear that his team mates and coaching staff deserve alot of credit. I do wonder what Big dunc has been doing - there seems to have been a marked improvement in how he prepares himself to receive the ball and how he jumps - far more balanced and deliberate.

Just got a few minutes for the time being. Watched the 20 minute highlights, so not the complete game, but my word what player this lad is becoming. All the issues he had where many said he would improve on with experience he is improving on dramatically. Link up play? Check. Control? Getting there but needs work still. Attitude? Massively improved.

What's changed? Playing to his strengths, team behind him is playing well, got himself some actual support and service on a consistent basis and the play is much more direct, forward playing and at speed.

Weird that, if only someone had mentioned all that before :P

All smugness aside, I'm personally a bit relieved with his progress. I'd invested so much time in defending him, I was worried I'd gone blind with optimism. My faith is being rewarded, but more importantly Rom is enjoying his football, and he is an utter delight to watch when he is :)

Just got a few minutes for the time being. Watched the 20 minute highlights, so not the complete game, but my word what player this lad is becoming. All the issues he had where many said he would improve on with experience he is improving on dramatically. Link up play? Check. Control? Getting there but needs work still. Attitude? Massively improved.

What's changed? Playing to his strengths, team behind him is playing well, got himself some actual support and service on a consistent basis and the play is much more direct, forward playing and at speed.

All smugness aside, I'm personally a bit relieved with his progress. I'd invested so much time in defending him, I was worried I'd gone blind with optimism. My faith is being rewarded, but more importantly Rom is enjoying his football, and he is an utter delight to watch when he is :)

Agree, two to three years time this lad could well be one of the best strikers in the world, Everton scouts need to be on the look out for the next lazy, uninterested, sloppy player .

And you have vehemently stuck behind him (even after some absolute shockers) which kinda was optimism.

My concern over his poor touch was actually replaced by his lack of interest and compounded the fact that his lack of ability in the technical area would not be improved whilst skulking round.

His breakout game was the Derby, I do think kone has been an absolute shot in the Arse for him.

I give credit where it's due, long may this spell continue into being his level.

Not blind with optimism, Matt, just showing faith in him. The same faith Haf showed in Kone when he wasn't showing the required level.

yuppo :)

I say optimism because I believed in his potential despite him playing poorly. Slightest of differences between that and faith for me.

Edited by Matt

10 league goals for him now. If he doesn't hit 20 in the league alone I'll be shocked.

Absolute class is our Rom.

So exciting to see him improving so fast.

And his touch IS getting better.

And when it's bad

..he seems to be reacting false to it. There was a point when he had a heavy touch yesterday and in a split second he stepped forward to stop the defender getting round him and taking it....he kept possession. Big Dunc made this an art.

His goal typifies this, heavy touch, but followed it with a step towards the ball and finished it off.exciting times.

12301603_10153287933596452_3558682941769

not bad for someone who doesn't contribute enough

:fishing:

Its almost like he has never had a spell of games where even his most ardent supporters were left somewhat "dissapointed and concerned"..... well thats not exactly true is it.....

Whatever happened before the Derby game has somewhat stayed with him. Lets not get all gooey and gloss over some pretty abysmal games lads, its still the same player and we can only hope the penny has dropped because I am not prepared to go down that route again.

If Rom vaults me then great - it means that he is putting shifts in - it means he has realised he isn't just in the team to be "johnny on the spot", it means that he realises that there is more to football than coasting through a match, not jumping, not using strength - just waiting for the perfect pass.

At the moment we have 2 p[layers with a chance of young player of the year - Rom and Gerry.

Its almost like he has never had a spell of games where even his most ardent supporters were left somewhat "dissapointed and concerned"..... well thats not exactly true is it.....

Whatever happened before the Derby game has somewhat stayed with him. Lets not get all gooey and gloss over some pretty abysmal games lads, its still the same player and we can only hope the penny has dropped because I am not prepared to go down that route again.

If Rom vaults me then great - it means that he is putting shifts in - it means he has realised he isn't just in the team to be "johnny on the spot", it means that he realises that there is more to football than coasting through a match, not jumping, not using strength - just waiting for the perfect pass.

At the moment we have 2 p[layers with a chance of young player of the year - Rom and Gerry.

It was more about keeping the faith in a talented, young player who performed poorly in a shit team but still managed to bang in goals to help us out rather than writing him off because he (along with the whole team) was asked to completely redevelop his (and their) game and was expensive, neither were his fault.

I don't believe, and never have, that its a matter of if you get vaulted, it's a matter of when you accept you have been ;)

Edited by Matt

It was more about keeping the faith in a talented, young player who performed poorly in a shit team but still managed to bang in goals to help us out rather than writing him off because he (along with the whole team) was asked to completely redevelop his (and their) game and was expensive, neither were his fault.

I don't believe, and never have, that its a matter of if you get vaulted, it's a matter of when you accept you have been ;)

So.... whats changed?

Is it his goals? No, I have never questioned that, I have questioned when and who he scores against.... he seemed to score more against lesser teams. If he didn't score it was the teams fault - many said. I didnt agree.

His alround play was poor - absolutely no question about that at all. People were actually highlighting when he did basic pieces of control, it was tantamount to applauding a degree level student for spelling their name correctly. It has got better.

His heading? Didn't get off the floor, jumped underneath the ball and missed so many headers. It has got better.

Control - lets leave it there - still has moments, I did say I never thought he would have chewing gum feet and he hasn't but I did say he needs an ability to miscontrol it away and be on his marks to retrieve it, he has done that, He used to be flat footed when the ball was played, now he beats his man to it when he shins it or whatever.

Effort - as reliable as the weather..... he has improved.

The funny thing is - because these things were missing it became a focus of "the team aren't playing to his strengths" - that was because our game didn't cover his weaknesses. It really was asa simple as that.

we never had a game that could allow him to play to his main strength of - "play the ball through the middle for me to run onto" - not many teams do, becuase opponents can legislate from a one dimensional approach.

His improvements this season have come from not having such evident weaknesses - nothing to do with the team. People need to make themselves accountable for what they do - not put the focus on someone else!

For this reason Rom deserves credit for making the improvements along with the coaches - fans who excused his weaknesses dont deserve credit. Based on many comments, all he is expected to do is score goals, forget control, running channels and winning personal battles. Enjoy watching him prosper but lets get it right - much of the belief was hope - not ewvidence.

100 %.

Chelsea when they bought him, WBA when they took him on loan, Everton when they took him on loan and finally Everton when they bought him.....They could all SEE the potential in the lad.

Even when he had a bad day at the office, usually down to some of the crap we played last season you could see what this lad was capable of.

" fans who excused his weaknesses don't deserve any credit ".......wow, just fucking wow !! I think it's called having vision.

Big credit to those who saw what a monster he could become, and gave him time.

100 %.

Chelsea when they bought him, WBA when they took him on loan, Everton when they took him on loan and finally Everton when they bought him.....They could all SEE the potential in the lad.

Even when he had a bad day at the office, usually down to some of the crap we played last season you could see what this lad was capable of.

" fans who excused his weaknesses don't deserve any credit ".......wow, just fucking wow !! I think it's called having vision.

Big credit to those who saw what a monster he could become, and gave him time.

Bravo on the Rom cliche - "Monster" used second only to "beast"....

This "vision" - was the hope that he could turn into Drogba, possibly the laziest comparison since Bruno Cheyrou was touted as the next Zidane..... because he was french.

Many fans got very excited by Joseph Yobo - that wasn't vision, that was just the fact that we had a defender with speed and strength who could jump....

Many fans got excited by Rom - I did. He looked the part at the start till I noticed that he wasn't a very good "footballer". Vision is seeing that Arouna Kone is actually a good footballer. Vision is seeing that Rom has improved as a footballer, needing a crystal ball and crossing your fingers is not

Hope ain't reality - thinking we will have Gerry here in 3 years in hope, the reality is that Barca would be insane not to exercise their clause.

Edited by Hafnia