IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

So.... whats changed?

Is it his goals? No, I have never questioned that, I have questioned when and who he scores against.... he seemed to score more against lesser teams. If he didn't score it was the teams fault - many said. I didnt agree.

His alround play was poor - absolutely no question about that at all. People were actually highlighting when he did basic pieces of control, it was tantamount to applauding a degree level student for spelling their name correctly. It has got better.

His heading? Didn't get off the floor, jumped underneath the ball and missed so many headers. It has got better.

Control - lets leave it there - still has moments, I did say I never thought he would have chewing gum feet and he hasn't but I did say he needs an ability to miscontrol it away and be on his marks to retrieve it, he has done that, He used to be flat footed when the ball was played, now he beats his man to it when he shins it or whatever.

Effort - as reliable as the weather..... he has improved.

The funny thing is - because these things were missing it became a focus of "the team aren't playing to his strengths" - that was because our game didn't cover his weaknesses. It really was asa simple as that.

we never had a game that could allow him to play to his main strength of - "play the ball through the middle for me to run onto" - not many teams do, becuase opponents can legislate from a one dimensional approach.

His improvements this season have come from not having such evident weaknesses - nothing to do with the team. People need to make themselves accountable for what they do - not put the focus on someone else!

For this reason Rom deserves credit for making the improvements along with the coaches - fans who excused his weaknesses dont deserve credit. Based on many comments, all he is expected to do is score goals, forget control, running channels and winning personal battles. Enjoy watching him prosper but lets get it right - much of the belief was hope - not ewvidence.

whats changed? The whole team is playing better, giving him support, playing the ball ahead of him, quicker pace, mix of build up and direct (but rarely hoofed up to him), it's not hard to see.

I'd even go as far to say that it's because of Barry being back to form. But to put his poor season purely on his shoulders alone is shortsighted. Whilst he had a poor (by his standards and our expectations of him, given the potential people see in him) season, so did the whole team. It's hand in hand, simple as that. The same applies to Barkley too.

Edited by Matt

whats changed? The whole team is playing better, giving him support, playing the ball ahead of him, quicker pace, mix of build up and direct (but rarely hoofed up to him), it's not hard to see.

I'd even go as far to say that it's because of Barry being back to form. But to put his poor season purely on his shoulders alone is shortsighted. Whilst he had a poor (by his standards and our expectations of him, given the potential people see in him) season, so did the whole team. It's hand in hand, simple as that. The same applies to Barkley too.

I completely disagree, Rom was excused because of the team, not because he should have been.

No one expects him to turn in solo performances, but we can expect him to show an ability to look after the ball, an effort to put pressure on the centre halves, the ability to jump and win physical battles against smaller players.

There were far too many games when just didn't. You talk about service? What about the game where there was 3 or 4 balls played in to the 6 yard box and he was outside the box and stopped running for one.

You see its been great since the Liverpool game where he was outstanding (when the team wasnt) and since then his levels have been much better but let's not say it's about the team... he has had some appalling games, he walked off the pitch in one without acknowledging the travelling fans as he rightly got some stick.

Writing off his bad games as being the teams fault is like giving him immunity.

I completely disagree, Rom was excused because of the team, not because he should have been.

No one expects him to turn in solo performances, but we can expect him to show an ability to look after the ball, an effort to put pressure on the centre halves, the ability to jump and win physical battles against smaller players.

There were far too many games when just didn't. You talk about service? What about the game where there was 3 or 4 balls played in to the 6 yard box and he was outside the box and stopped running for one.

You see its been great since the Liverpool game where he was outstanding (when the team wasnt) and since then his levels have been much better but let's not say it's about the team... he has had some appalling games, he walked off the pitch in one without acknowledging the travelling fans as he rightly got some stick.

Writing off his bad games as being the teams fault is like giving him immunity.

:doh:

I give up.

Bravo on the Rom cliche - "Monster" used second only to "beast"....

This "vision" - was the hope that he could turn into Drogba, possibly the laziest comparison since Bruno Cheyrou was touted as the next Zidane..... because he was french.

Many fans got very excited by Joseph Yobo - that wasn't vision, that was just the fact that we had a defender with speed and strength who could jump....

Many fans got excited by Rom - I did. He looked the part at the start till I noticed that he wasn't a very good "footballer". Vision is seeing that Arouna Kone is actually a good footballer. Vision is seeing that Rom has improved as a footballer, needing a crystal ball and crossing your fingers is not

Hope ain't reality - thinking we will have Gerry here in 3 years in hope, the reality is that Barca would be insane not to exercise their clause.

The master of ' waffle '......Yobo, Bruno Cheyrou !

Chelsea, WBA and Everton.....yep!!.....They all relied on a 'crystal ball' and a few 'crossed fingers'.Millions were parted with because of a misty glass ball and crossed fingers behind some managers back.......oh if only they had had the insight of the the great 'master waffler'.None of them took a calculated risk with the young talent, that anyone with any Football knowledge could see what talent was within him.

Don't worry someone will come along soon enough with another 'crystal ball' and offer £45million.

ps, liked the bit where 'you knoticed he wasn't a very good footballer', good job your not an Everton scout.

I critisied rom a lot last season but the kid is 22 wait till he is 25 and worth £60 mill

It's not age related, if he continues the way he has in the last 10 games he could be worth that at the end of the season.

If he reverts to a lacklustre Rom then clubs may not bother, consistency is key.

Rom has been a great investment he has virtually doubled his price in 2 years this has to be the way to go.

Go for the best young players around and sell them for a big profit until we no longer have to sell then get into champions league.

Then stay there on a regular basis and start to win some silverware.

Yep

Rom has been a great investment he has virtually doubled his price in 2 years this has to be the way to go.

Go for the best young players around and sell them for a big profit until we no longer have to sell then get into champions league.

Then stay there on a regular basis and start to win some silverware.

Spot on. What a smart play by Roberto.

Great interview.

Couple of comments stand out.

“Is it justified? It is just part of football. If you are mentally weak and your performance at your club suffers, then it makes no sense. My club remains the most important. If I’m not playing at Everton I’m not even called up for the Red Devils."

Damn straight Everton are the most important.

“How can I explain it? I had a good preparation and I’m more ambitious than ever. The team also runs better than last year,” he said.

What Matt and others have said for a long time (and it's rearing its head again recently). The team are playing better and helping him more, no question.

Telegraph Sport has a full page article on Everton wth the headline 'The 175m of talent driving Everton's quest for glory. The valuations are:

Lukaku 50m

Stones 50m

Barkley 50m

Deulofeu 25m

Before the end of the season Deulofeu will be 50m too!

They're not too far off in fairness. It's exciting.

Really, REALLY hope we can keep hold of them all for just one more year, add a couple more of their ilk and make a massive push for CL spots or a trophy.

From the OS.'It was also his seventh goal in six games, the last Everton player to notch in six successive matches having been Peter Beardsley back in September 1991.'

If we had a prime Beardsley now we would be in top 4 - what a player he was, he was the perfect strike partner. We never even had a good side when he was playing for us, the amount of times his shimmy sold a player was a joke, they knew he was gonna do it but nothing they could do about it.