IGNORED

James McCarthy

Not if you look at his career as a whole. He's something of a workhorse, actually.

yes that makes sense, I'm just speaking of the time we've had him. You wonder if this is something he can correct, like turning it down 5

Mph and trying to use his vision and positioning better to snuff out attacks instead of throwing tackles and the like. Could be way off there but I'm worried it will be a repeat of last season where he was never fully fit after that injury.

yes that makes sense, I'm just speaking of the time we've had him. You wonder if this is something he can correct, like turning it down 5

Mph and trying to use his vision and positioning better to snuff out attacks instead of throwing tackles and the like. Could be way off there but I'm worried it will be a repeat of last season where he was never fully fit after that injury.

The injury last season wasn't anything to do with throwing himself into tackles and ending up coming off worse off like yesterday though.

I wouldn't consider him the best at breaking up play. It's a misconception. He either jockeys and stands off or makes rash challenges.... 90% of the time putting the ball out of play. Not necessarily winning back possession. The game against Stoke when Bojan absolutely rinsed him down the right hand side highlighted a major weakness in his game.

If we get an offer approaching £25-30m I'd say sell him

Good player but neither a great defensive midfielder or a great attacking player

Neat, tidy excellent work rate but that's not going to move us forward

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but who do you think we could replace him with for that sort of money?

• 1 month later...

Honestly? I have no idea. Martinez is just as likely to do something wacky as conventional. Or rush him back because he can't bare to see us play without Barry and McCarthy together.

Maybe we'll get that 1 holding player with Barkley playing deeper, as is so often touted on here.

Besic against Chelsea went really well last time...

This would allow us to play with one holding midfielder, though, for the time being. Barry, with Barkley going box-to-box and Gerry/Kev and Lennon on the wings, with Kone and Lukaku up front. Or swap out a striker and have Gerry and Lennon rotate wings with Mirallas playing a free role.

• 3 months later...