IGNORED

James McCarthy

James McCarthy, IMO, is a very underrated player. Yes, it's taken a while for him to adjust after his injury, but he had an excellent game against Spurs. Not glamorous, not a headliner, not prominent off the field, but what he offers is great positioning, huge energy, and a footballing brain. I'd be very loathe to trade him.

I don't remember him having a stinker and I agree his jockeying does my head from the past two seasons but I reckon that has a lot to do with Martinez and his methods. I like McCarthy because over the last few years if it ever went off he was in the thick of it usually on his own

He's played under Martinez for more than the previous 2 years so his decline has nothing to do with him.

Limited footballer who relies on the physical aspect of the game of which he has lost the edge since injuries. Happy to have as a squad player but nothing more.

He's played under Martinez for more than the previous 2 years so his decline has nothing to do with him.

Limited footballer who relies on the physical aspect of the game of which he has lost the edge since injuries. Happy to have as a squad player but nothing more.

And was rushed back twice from injury by the man. His decline is soley down to Martinez in my opinion.

Very clear he'll be staying: along the lines of "he started the last match, no need to worry about him leaving Everton"

Niasse & Mcgeady on the other hand, he's completely shut the door on them and very brutally.

Edited by MC11

And was rushed back twice from injury by the man. His decline is soley down to Martinez in my opinion.

Is it confirmed it was Martinez or the physio staff though?

For what ever reason he isn't the same after injuries. Albeit I don't mind at RWB if we are desperate.

Shite journalism that, he gets subbed after 35 mins lets run with a story he's going to be sold. Koemans confirmed he's going nowhere, the sub was purely tactical and as the right wingback playing out of position I may add he was always going to be the sacrificial lamb when we switched to a back 4.

playing against world class competition as well the finest in the championship.....oh wait league 2. FFS i'd expect the U-23 to beat them

uet were only 1-0 up with a near full strength team. Cups are so important to the lower league teams, they usually always up their game

playing against world class competition as well the finest in the championship.....oh wait league 2. FFS i'd expect the U-23 to beat them

11v11.

Truism of sport that lesser exponents raise their game when competing above their level, their cup final.

I'll take any win.

2-0.

“I’ve got full faith in the owner [Ellis Short],” said Moyes, who is hoping to conclude deals with Rubin Kazan for the midfielder Yann M’Vila and Barnsley for the defender Alfie Mawson and desperately needs a new striker to complement Jermain Defoe. “But there’s no doubt that our budget is not at the level of many other clubs you see buying players at the moment.

“I’m confident we’ll get a few in before 1 September but the quality of the players that Sunderland can get at the moment is probably not what I’ve had in the Premier League. Not even close. You look at our competitors and what they’re spending and we’re having to deal differently.”

He illustrated his point by explaining Sunderland could not compete with Watford for Everton’s James McCarthy. “I don’t know if we’d have that kind of cash to spend on just one player,” he said. “I hope it won’t be the case in a couple of years’ time.”

Source: The Guardian.

“I’ve got full faith in the owner [Ellis Short],” said Moyes, who is hoping to conclude deals with Rubin Kazan for the midfielder Yann M’Vila and Barnsley for the defender Alfie Mawson and desperately needs a new striker to complement Jermain Defoe. “But there’s no doubt that our budget is not at the level of many other clubs you see buying players at the moment.

“I’m confident we’ll get a few in before 1 September but the quality of the players that Sunderland can get at the moment is probably not what I’ve had in the Premier League. Not even close. You look at our competitors and what they’re spending and we’re having to deal differently.”

He illustrated his point by explaining Sunderland could not compete with Watford for Everton’s James McCarthy. “I don’t know if we’d have that kind of cash to spend on just one player,” he said. “I hope it won’t be the case in a couple of years’ time.”

Source: The Guardian.

oh my goodness - I really think this is more of the case that Moyes doesn't actually like being held accountable for big money signings. Lets be honest - when he has had real money to spend he is no where near as effective as he is with the lower budget players.

This isn't a Moyes flaming post again - its just a dose of reality. The bloke does not like players who are "comfortable with themselves" he likes players with something to prove, he needs to be the one they listen to and need to impress or they are in lumber. The reason he struggled at United is that he tried to tell players who had won allsorts that they needed to listen to him - they didn't have anything to prove to Moyes.

Don't get me wrong its not the worst tactic to have - Steve Walsh likes players who have had to endure tough times with something to prove but that doesn't mean that how he exclusively scouts players. I just think Moyes is going to turn Sunderland into a team that has a flat 4-5-1 (revert to 4-4-2) with cheap hard workers right across the width of the pitch at the expense of flair.

The bloke loves the low risk of a tight budget - it makes expectations that much less. With these low expectations he creates a siege mentality with honest joe footballers. Its his way of operating. It will likely see them survive and maybe get 12th place or something but it will be a boring arduous season for them.