IGNORED

James McCarthy

Match was televised in US. McCarthy played ok, a bit gassed by end. He also picked up a nasty cut on his arm, finished match with bandaged arm.

Coleman's goal was a strange one, but all credit to Coleman, who beat his defender with a strong run to the goal line, and the kept going once his pass bounced around among defenders. Some luck in the chaos, but he was the most determined to get it into the net.

i'm a psychic......kind of. it wasn't good for him to just go straight back and play 2 almost full matches (1 full, the other 2/3's).

“But James McCarthy is a little bit more difficult because, after five or six weeks out after his [groin] surgery, he played in two games for Ireland and we have to make the decision [on Friday] if he’s really fit to be part of the team. " - Ronald Koeman

• 2 weeks later...
I hope koeman comes out and completely trounces those arrogant bastards MON and Keane. Absolutely disgraceful what they did. The lad had surgery and they played him for 170 minutes in 3 days?!

They send him back and the physios said his hamstrings were on the brink.

I said it at the time that he'd get injured as a result and he has.

This all started with martinez rushing him back.

The lad is screwed up now. Played alot of football at a young age and it's taken its toll.

He won't be match fit for January. He will need proper long rehab for this. Sue ROI.

Edited by Hafnia

he made his pro debut at 15 years of age.... in terms of games played he has played about 100 more than Rom and he's about 2 years older.

Bit of a warning for us. Lukaku is on course for playing over 300 games by the time he is 25. Which is why we need another striker - it probably does help the fact that lets just say he isn't the workhorse that McCarthy is - to put it mildly.

learn from history, look at the likes of fowler, owen, bridges, Wilshire, Vaughan.... for every gareth barry or gary speed there are a load of players who have done too much too young.

he made his pro debut at 15 years of age.... in terms of games played he has played about 100 more than Rom and he's about 2 years older.

Bit of a warning for us. Lukaku is on course for playing over 300 games by the time he is 25. Which is why we need another striker - it probably does help the fact that lets just say he isn't the workhorse that McCarthy is - to put it mildly.

learn from history, look at the likes of fowler, owen, bridges, Wilshire, Vaughan.... for every gareth barry or gary speed there are a load of players who have done too much too young.

Rooney, Milner, Lennon all started at extremely young ages and are still fit & healthy.

Rooney, Milner, Lennon all started at extremely young ages and are still fit & healthy.

Yeah - its not the same rule for everyone which is my point but

Lennon has played a handful of games more than Mccarthy despite being 4 years older.

Rooney turned 31 yesterday and IMO plays like a 34 year old now - he peaked in 2011-2012 when he was 26.... its fair to say his young career has advanced his body by 3 years when you look at the numbers.

Milner will likely be one of the top 10 premier league appearances as he is still only 30 and has over 400 games under his belt - interesting.... he went teetotal a few years ago. Look at him vs rooney. Both around at the same time.

you then look at the players on top of the ones I mentioned there are loads like Whiteside, Andy Carroll (debut at 17), dean ashton (debut at 16) - after the age of 21 he only completed more than 20 games in a season twice)

there is deffo something in it... for me anyway

• 2 weeks later...

"I totally refute that," O'Neill said. "James had declared himself fit. He played the first game and came off in the second not because he was injured but because he was tired.

"And, remarkably, he trained the very day their manager was bleating about it.

How can he "refute" the very fact that McCarthy broke down after being played for near 180 minutes after having not long had surgery?

Koeman never said McCarthy was "injured" - Koeman said he was overloaded which actually does indicate that McCarthy was "tired" something his eventual substitution proved. That overloading left his at risk of reinjury and guess what? it happened.

MON is annoyed that his management has been questioned like the egotistical idiot that he is. I absolutely can not stand the man.

Did McCarthy "Train" or did he go to Finch farm and take part in light exercises?

As much as MON is being a prick about this, McCarthy has to take some responsibility too. As much as playing for your country is hard to pass up on, he needs to remember who pays his substantial wages.

agreed. I'm not sure why he went along with all the ROI stuff and why he didn't tell MON not to call him up this time. He is culpable as well.

As much as MON is being a prick about this, McCarthy has to take some responsibility too. As much as playing for your country is hard to pass up on, he needs to remember who pays his substantial wages.

Wages is one thing, but, in the past, it was always the highest honour to play for one's country. Does money trump honour now? (I understand the frustration, since we're focused on team and not country, but I'm looking at the bigger picture.)

Wages is one thing, but, in the past, it was always the highest honour to play for one's country. Does money trump honour now?

I understand the point Steve and I agree to an extent. Clubs inventing "muscle strains" to keep perfectly fit players away from their international teams has always been wrong, but this case is different I think; we gently nurse him back to fitness so he plays for them and returns knackered. So now we are nursing him back to fitness again should we really be expected to risk the same thing happening again?

A footballer like mccarthy will not be like a Louis Saha. Different beasts. He will play when not ready as we seen when he reinjured himself under Martinez.

It's about football managers using the medical staff and working with the player. Many players will always try and play.

Wages is one thing, but, in the past, it was always the highest honour to play for one's country. Does money trump honour now? (I understand the frustration, since we're focused on team and not country, but I'm looking at the bigger picture.)

Never mind club v country or wages over honour , the lad is a fucking idiot if he doesn't realise that he is putting his career on the line by rushing back from injury, especially given his history

If he plays for Ireland and comes back injured again we should terminate his contract