IGNORED

James McCarthy

Never mind club v country or wages over honour , the lad is a fucking idiot if he doesn't realise that he is putting his career on the line by rushing back from injury, especially given his history

If he plays for Ireland and comes back injured again we should terminate his contract

It's getting to that stage. As much as I'd love to lay all blame at the feet of MON as I can't stand him - mccarthy has to be held accountable

It's getting to that stage. As much as I'd love to lay all blame at the feet of MON as I can't stand him - mccarthy has to be held accountable

I just don't know where his head is at, even if he doesn't want to show any loyalty to the club who pay his wages surely he owes it to himself to make sure he is fully fit and ready to play. He isn't doing himself or his career any favours coming back too early

If this hamstring injury was a one off I could understand his eagerness to play for his country but he has been plagued by hamstring injuries, sadly I think he's finished anyway

I just don't know where his head is at, even if he doesn't want to show any loyalty to the club who pay his wages surely he owes it to himself to make sure he is fully fit and ready to play. He isn't doing himself or his career any favours coming back too early

If this hamstring injury was a one off I could understand his eagerness to play for his country but he has been plagued by hamstring injuries, sadly I think he's finished anyway

I think the martinez triple hamstring tear did his career.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/08/roy-keane-launches-attack-on-everton-and-the-clubs-weak-players/

He's a dick, that's the one constant here, but he's right about the players needing to toughen up (not in the context of McCarthy or Gibson, that's just fishing). They have a weak mentality. Starts with Jags and effects everyone. Ironically, Coleman has more of that belief about him than a lot of other players.

• 1 month later...

I thought he took a knock to the top of the knee, don't see how it could've been his hamstring

The knee he took a knock to wasn't on the leg he was holding... he was holding hammy on the other leg.

I thought it was his knee but then, like Haf says, he was definitely holding his hammy as well. If it was the latter then I am dumbfounded at him carrying on.

Hope he's okay. His return has had a huge effect, however I'm really excited to see a besic/gana midfield with besics added quality on the ball.

Where have you seen this?

So far as McCarthy, his energy alongside Gueye's has given us a new dimension, granted its only been three halves of football so far but we've been night and day in comparrison. Although we are still ponderous with the ball we knocked it around in tight situations and spread the play quickly which is exactly how to get the best out of our fullbacks and in turn create headaches and space for the oppo and our wide players respectively.

Hamstring, but situation unclear.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/1220/840172-everton/

I just don't see him being a full-season player anymore, and I'm beginning to wonder if he's even a half-season player. He's becoming as bad as Gibson at this point, which is a shame, because he's shown what we've been missing in that midfield role.

Edited by TonkaRoost

I just don't see him being a full-season player anymore, and I'm beginning to wonder if he's even a half-season player. He's becoming as bad as Gibson at this point, which is a shame, because he's shown what we've been missing in that midfield role.

Sounds precautionary:

“James played well in the first 45 minutes but he was not sure about his hamstring and we couldn’t take that risk,” he [Koeman] told the club's website.

Sounds precautionary:

“James played well in the first 45 minutes but he was not sure about his hamstring and we couldn’t take that risk,” he [Koeman] told the club's website.

I hope so -- but it would excellent if he could start putting in 90 min shifts again on a regular basis.

Guest rusty747

I think the difference between first and second half performances in the derby showed us just how much we need McCarthy when he is fit and on form.

Whilst his fitness is an issue, I am not so worried about the last drop in form as I am convinced that if we can get him fit there is one hell of a player there.

If Besic comes back strong and we get Schneiderlin in January that gives us some exciting midfield options which could change our standard 4-2-3-1 to a 4-3-1-2

New Keeper

Coleman ? ? Baines

McCarthy. Gana. Besic/Schneiderlin

Barkley/?

Lukaku. Valencia/DCL

That would give us the energy and ability to press that Koeman demands but I still think we need another striker and, though it pains me to say it, Barkley may not thrive in that system. Would Man U do a straight swap for Mata?

I think the difference between first and second half performances in the derby showed us just how much we need McCarthy when he is fit and on form.

Whilst his fitness is an issue, I am not so worried about the last drop in form as I am convinced that if we can get him fit there is one hell of a player there.

If Besic comes back strong and we get Schneiderlin in January that gives us some exciting midfield options which could change our standard 4-2-3-1 to a 4-3-1-2

New Keeper

Coleman ? ? Baines

McCarthy. Gana. Besic/Schneiderlin

Barkley/?

Lukaku. Valencia/DCL

That would give us the energy and ability to press that Koeman demands but I still think we need another striker and, though it pains me to say it, Barkley may not thrive in that system. Would Man U do a straight swap for Mata?

I dont think Schneidelrin will be coming to play in rotation. I think he will be signed as a starter each week and rightly so. He was the best DM in the league whilst at Southampton.

Hopefully Besic proves he can last more than 3 games but his injuries are a big concern.

Id keep McCarthy, his last 2 games he has proved how vital he can be. He also adds a bit of snide/aggression to the team which we massively lack. He seems the perfect 'Koeman' player tbh.

Where have you seen this?

So far as McCarthy, his energy alongside Gueye's has given us a new dimension, granted its only been three halves of football so far but we've been night and day in comparrison. Although we are still ponderous with the ball we knocked it around in tight situations and spread the play quickly which is exactly how to get the best out of our fullbacks and in turn create headaches and space for the oppo and our wide players respectively.

He has a lot more skill on the ball, his turns and dribbling is far more advanced than McCarthy. Passing can be wayward I will admit but his passing game is more expansive than McCarthy's.

It's a heck of a situation, because when Lukaku isn't in form apparently that's why we aren't scoring goals and winning games, then when Gueye is out thats why midfield can't cope and we're overrun, then when Barry is out we have no composure to move the ball forwards, then because Barkley is out of sorts we're effectively playing with ten men, and now (NOW?) the fortunes of Everton FC falls squarely on a player we haven't had a full 90 out of in how many months (McCarthy).

Lets say he's back next game, will the current malais suddenly revolve around Stek being out injured or playing through a knock?

I know it's grim, I've clutched at straws myself, perhaps we need to accept the idea that our best starting eleven (whatever that is) just isn't up to the standard of the league that we all hope and expect it to be, that our problems extend beyond a player or two being injured or out of form. I believe what we are all hoping for is that our manager can knit a unit together and have them performing above the sum of the parts assembled (ala Moyes) and not dejected and hiding from the ball and the support (ala clown-shoes).

It's been a difficult time losing Bolassie, we're carrying constant sick-notes on the bench already, lets be thankful we have two quality backs, a host of youth players on the brink of more regular appearances, and get our heads around the fact that we are a side in transition and that transition will take time and money and encounter hurdles before we get to a standard where performances will catch up with our expectations.

We need to make the ball stick in the opponents final third.. get defence camped on the half way line. Need more ball retention. The rest is OK.

We need to get better quality ball into them as well.

McCarthy allows us to win the ball further up the pitch, the defence can stay aggressive and we do start getting up the pitch and more sticks up front because we have better service.

The thing I like most about McCarthy is that he is bringing some attitude to our squad. Everyone else bar Coleman pussy foots around but McCarthy gets stuck in and that in turn encourages the rest to be more aggressive.