IGNORED

James McCarthy

I fully expect for him to be sold and delboy, cleverly to be sold at end of loan so we have a net spend of £0 again.

Lukaku sold in Summer to allow us to spend again. I'm not sure if anything moneywise has really changed.

We've spent 35 million in January, McCarthy, Del Boy and Cleverley wont raise that much plus we'll more than likely spend again.

There is clearly money now but I honestly think we need to get the dead wood out the team that are collecting 40-60k a week each and contributing nothing.

I think it's the wage bill that's constraining us.

We've spent 35 million in January, McCarthy, Del Boy and Cleverley wont raise that much plus we'll more than likely spend again.

There is clearly money now but I honestly think we need to get the dead wood out the team that are collecting 40-60k a week each and contributing nothing.

I think it's the wage bill that's constraining us.

I doubt it is £35m. Snederlin £19m, Lookman £7m plus add ons, so that's £26m.

McCarthy £16m, Delboy £8m, Cleverly £2m at a guess, so that's £26m. Along with the wages saved through decreasing the size of the squad, it is good business, but not the amount of spend which is acceptable.

Maybe I am being sceptical due to it happening all the time, but does not seem like we have money to spend on transfers. Definitely not the £50-£100m expected in 2 windows.

I doubt it is £35m. Snederlin £19m, Lookman £7m plus add ons, so that's £26m.

McCarthy £16m, Delboy £8m, Cleverly £2m at a guess, so that's £26m. Along with the wages saved through decreasing the size of the squad, it is good business, but not the amount of spend which is acceptable.

Maybe I am being sceptical due to it happening all the time, but does not seem like we have money to spend on transfers. Definitely not the £50-£100m expected in 2 windows.

Schneiderlin was quoted at 22 rising to 24 and Lookman was 7 rising to 11.

Regardless I think there is most definitely funds in place for players. As I've said and Steves confirmed I think it's more to do with wages than fees.

Either way, if we break even bringing those 2 in by getting rid of players that we wont use, I'm happy with that.

I don't actually care what we spend, I want the team to improve. If we can do that without breaking the bank isn't that better?

Gana was £7m, would it be better if we paid £30m for him?

We got loads of money for Stones, we will get £8m for Cleverley, anything we get for Niasse is a bonus. If we get some money in for Gibson and Kone, or even just get them out of the club, that's fine. Spend if it improves the team, don't just spend for the sake of it.

I don't actually care what we spend, I want the team to improve. If we can do that without breaking the bank isn't that better?

We got loads of money for Stones, we will get £8m for Cleverley, anything we get for Niasse is a bonus. If we get some money in for Gibson and Kone, or even just get them out of the club, that's fine. Spend if it improves the team, don't just spend for the sake of it.

spot on

Agree.

There's an unhealthy obsession out there about rating players on how much we pay for them rather than how they perform.

We will struggle to sell Niasse I feel. What is he on? 55 or 60k a week?! Nobody will pay that especially if he doesn't perform in his stint at Hull.

As for Jimmy Mac I want him to stay and fight for his place. He's looked like the Macca from RM's first season and will be up for fighting for his place. Can't see him staying though with the depth we have there, especially with Davies set to possibly be given cameos from the bench this season.

We will struggle to sell Niasse I feel. What is he on? 55 or 60k a week?! Nobody will pay that especially if he doesn't perform in his stint at Hull.

As for Jimmy Mac I want him to stay and fight for his place. He's looked like the Macca from RM's first season and will be up for fighting for his place. Can't see him staying though with the depth we have there, especially with Davies set to possibly be given cameos from the bench this season.

Niasse will be sold. He impressed me in the last game for Hull. If he keeps that up they will want him on a perm.

Guest rusty747

McCarthy is a great player when fit and when the team is set up to suit his style of play. If he can play alongside Davies and/or Barkley then his role is fairly simple. Break up the opposition play and give the ball to Davies or Barkley - occasionally getting forward himself.

I don't think it was any coincidence that when he went off yesterday we lost our way for a while. Glad to have him back and I hope we've finally put his injury problems to bed.

I liked him higher up the pitch pressing their defenders - it's something Stoke have done with Joe Allen with relative success. Think it would work against teams like Arsenal (away) when they will want to build from the back and dominate possession.

I don't think it was any coincidence that when he went off yesterday we lost our way for a while. Glad to have him back and I hope we've finally put his injury problems to bed.

Yeah. It was tough for Davies to get into the game. Always is as a sub but the sub happened when we were under intense pressure. We looked all over the place for a bit. Once Davies got into it, we got going again. Him and McCarthy are pretty similar. You can see that when they play, they get used to press high up the pitch.

Really good options to have.

I liked him higher up the pitch pressing their defenders - it's something Stoke have done with Joe Allen with relative success. Think it would work against teams like Arsenal (away) when they will want to build from the back and dominate possession.

Agreed, and anyone that says McCarthy can't play football is deluding themselves. His inter-play with Rom for our first shows how good he can be at quick, one-touch football.

He had a great game. Shame he didn't score a fourth just before he went off. Different game if we go 4-0 there.

Davies struggled when he came on higher up the pitch, when we went back to 343 and Davies dropped deeper the control of the game came right back and two quick goals.

McCarthy, with his workrate, looks really good in that team.