IGNORED

James McCarthy

Well if you can't see what McCarthy brought to the table in his first season here then there really isn't much point trying to talk to you about football

Ok. You continue championing Jags and McCarthy whilst ones sat at home and the others being made a show of at the Euro's. Top players we must keep hold of.

Ok. You continue championing Jags and McCarthy whilst ones sat at home and the others being made a show of at the Euro's. Top players we must keep hold of.

He's hardly been made a show of, granted he was poor yesterday but so was everyone else in the ROI team. He played ok in first game.

I get your point on him he's defo gone backwards but what Dunc is saying about his first season here is also true, he had a really good debut season then just went backwards after it.

In McCarthy's first season he was immense, he sat in front of the back for and shielded them from attacks, he broke up opposition moves and covered allot of ground. His passing was adequate for hos role. This last season his performances have been poor, now weather this is down to injuries catching up to him, loss of form or confidence or a combination of all three I don't know.

I hope his loss of form is recoverable, and I am filled with hope as Koeman and his team have worked wonders with other teams.

I'm hardly championing McCarthy when I've said he's finished and needs replacing and quite what Jags has to do with it is beyond me

After McCarthys first season the likes of Man Utd and Spurs were sniffing around so he must have been doing something right

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

I'm hardly championing McCarthy when I've said he's finished and needs replacing and quite what Jags has to do with it is beyond me

After McCarthys first season the likes of Man Utd and Spurs were sniffing around so he must have been doing something right

The same reports were made about Mori - someone who you thinks below par. Can't have it both ways Dunc.

That would be a good point if I had ever said Mori was below par , however I didn't say any such thing

For the record I said he was our third best CB at present but has the potential to be better than Jags

Just be straight instead of beating around the bush. You've slated the lad from the get go, you don't rate him. Saying he's our 3rd best centre half proves that.

Just be straight instead of beating around the bush. You've slated the lad from the get go, you don't rate him. Saying he's our 3rd best centre half proves that.

When have I ever said I don't rate him?

I've said he is as error prone as Stones but I have never once said I don't rate him. The only thing that me saying he is presently our 3rd best centre back proves is that I rate Stones and Jagielka

When have I ever said I don't rate him?

I've said he is as error prone as Stones but I have never once said I don't rate him. The only thing that me saying he is presently our 3rd best centre back proves is that I rate Stones and Jagielka

Look in the Mori thread never a positive without a negative spin.

• 1 month later...

He won't be sold, at the moment we have Gana, Barry and McCarthy who can play one of the two midfield roles. Davies is a prospect, but don't expect him to be a starter any time soon. Then there's Gibson and Cleverley. Gibson just can't be relied on and Cleverley is more likely to get a chance in one of the more advanced positions as he's not that good at the defensive work.

Gana has made one spot his own, Barry hasn't done anything wrong yet but don't be surprised if we sign someone to play with Gana. Barry and McCarthy could find themselves both fighting for a place.

We would be mad to let him go. He wasn't always at his best last season but who was.

I am amazed that people are writing him off especially as him and Gueye aren't miles apart in respect of what they can bring to them team. We should be letting Gibson and Besic go a long time before McCarthy.

We would be mad to let him go. He wasn't always at his best last season but who was.

I am amazed that people are writing him off especially as him and Gueye aren't miles apart in respect of what they can bring to them team. We should be letting Gibson and Besic go a long time before McCarthy.

McCarthy offers nothing in attacking and can't pass unless it's a 5 yRd sideways or back pass. He's a yard dog. Gueye can pass very well as evidenced by the match and last seasons stats (he's up there with Barry in completion percentage). He had 2 bad years and has had a lot of bad injuries. Barry can pass very well and his positioning is superb, he's just slow. Gibson is an excellent passer and under moyes was the engine behind starting our attacks. McCarthy had one good year and everything acts like that was the norm, it wasn't, it was an outlier.

IF.... like Torres did at the shite the club know he's lost that magical yard of pace and it's hindered him then sell him... he's a player who relies on mobility. If we could get £15m+ maybe even £20m in this mad market then take it.

Pre injury he was awesome. Post injury he just looks too reliant on having technique.

IF.... like Torres did at the shite the club know he's lost that magical yard of pace and it's hindered him then sell him... he's a player who relies on mobility. If we could get £15m+ maybe even £20m in this mad market then take it.

Pre injury he was awesome. Post injury he just looks too reliant on having technique.

I'd agree with all of this if he had technique to rely on!

Gana is a gem, him doing the leg work will bring out Barry's class as well.

replacement? Gueye, Barry, McCarthy, Cleverley, Gibson, Besic, Davies. that's 7 of them, we could sell mccarthy and cleverley and still be fine.

If McCarthy goes then we have:

Gueye - Great

Barry - 35 cant play every game

Cleverley,- not a defensive midfielder,

Gibson -, injury prone, drunk and inconsistent,

Davies, - good but inexperienced.

Besic - out for the season.

Is that really enough?

If McCarthy goes then we have:

Gueye - Great

Barry - 35 cant play every game

Cleverley,- not a defensive midfielder,

Gibson -, injury prone, drunk and inconsistent,

Davies, - good but inexperienced.

Besic - out for the season.

Is that really enough?

yes, gibson is the barry replacement, both of them are slow but pass really well. besic and davies are the gueye replacements to tackle, intercept, and link up. cleverley is a body, i would like him and mccarthy sold. we are getting down to 3rd and 4th strings central mids, not sure why we need so many of those yet we have one RB.