IGNORED

James McCarthy

This is the hockey thread now? Well, the Lukaku thread is about cars, mostly. So, I suppose it makes sense.

My thoughts on the North American-European hockey debate: It's not that the European players are faster or quicker by any means. I think a major factor in the differences in players coming out of these systems is ice size. European rinks are significantly larger and produce a more open, flowing game. North American rinks are smaller and perpetuate a more physical game. You physically close down space and stop your opponents from playing in that way. European players then come up playing with more space and time on the puck, which allows them to play more "artfully." North American players, as the game is that much faster due to the space issue, play in a much more utilitarian or "orthodox" fashion. The North American game goes much more North-South, while the significantly wider European rinks give rise to a more East-West game. Because of this, you see a stronger emphasis on the forecheck in the North American game, as it is an effective defensive strategy. European players let the game come to them rather than try to stop it from happening.

This is reflected in hockey ideologies on both sides of the pond. A lot of European players have a tough time adapting to play in North America, not because of the physicality, but because they need to figure out how to play their game with less width and less time on the puck.

In short, I think the physicality differences are secondary to spatial constraints that are productive of different understandings of the game.

Spot on analysis joe. I'm a kings fan by the way.

Back to McCarthy, it seems to have disappeared, maybe his agent has given up or we are him a new contract.

I might have a Red Wings tattoo...

I think the McCarthy stuff has disappeared because there's probably never been anything in him wanting a move. He's also not one to talk to the press. Seems a private guy. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but none of those stories claiming that he is unhappy with his contract after Cleverly signed actually cited any quotes from McCarthy, himself. So... It could have been his agent saying shit to the press. It could have been London papers trying to stir shit up and nothing more.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenham-make-20m-move-evertons-6014885

If they offered £20m plus Lennon then I think Roberto may feel a little pressure to sell. I would prefer him here but every player has his price at every club.

With Delph's release at £8m, selling McCarthy for a huge fee and getting Delph for less than half would be a masterstroke but it seems Delph is City bound... decent thought though.

I don't want it to,but I can see this happening.

The buys we've made and the players we already have make me think we're going to cash in.

I hope this is the year we see McCarthy become the total midfielder, but I think he knows if he stays here our formation will dictate that he's played as the holding player. Which is going to stifle his development into said total midfielder.

I want McCarthy to be a Vieria not a Makalele.

Echo already has and majority are saying he's not worth 20m. Not sure if they think he's worth more or less (fatal flaw of their poll).

I think it's a very clear cut question. The majority 65% think he's not not worth £20m. He probably is worth around that figure in terms of getting him from us. But ability wise overrated and not a £20m player

I get a feeling he's going, that's why we got cleverly, we have him, Barry, besic, I also think Barkley plays well deeper, if we get around 20mill plus Lennon then why not and let's get a quality number 10 in.

We were always getting Cleverley, RM will want them both.

If we sell McCarthy it will do three things:

1) We will have to spend most of it if not more replacing him. He is a quality player who can break up attacks, cover the back four and pass the ball well, his positional sence is very good as is his reading of the game and his stamina. That is why he is linked with a big money move to team who plays in or wants to play in the Champions League.

2) If we sell him it disrupts the squad and tells them that we are not serious about building a team that challenges to get into the top four.

3) We will not be able to attract the caliber of player we want if they think we are not serious about progressing.

Mile jedinak from palace same thing half to a quarter the price albeit older. He can be replaced Steve he's not messi, just a destroyer of which there are many.

Claude Makelele, Didier Dechamps, Patrick Viera, were all just destroyers then by your reckoning?

I have listed the skills that McCarthy has, Jedinak does not have all of them which he is not in demand by the top clubs.

Claude Makelele, Didier Dechamps, Patrick Viera, were all just destroyers then by your reckoning?

I have listed the skills that McCarthy has, Jedinak does not have all of them which he is not in demand by the top clubs.

no where near their talent level dude, if he was he would be linked with PSG, barca, real, dortmund, bayern. he's not. he's linked with arsenal and man u and spurs. man u and arsenal are old links from years past, spurs only ones with real interest.

I really can't tell if you're trolling with this...

not at all trolling. great player man, but jedinak is as well and is on the cheap. did you watch the palace games where he showed mccarthy and barry how to single handedly control the midfied and out tackle them? the last 2 seasons he has tormented us. great player.

no where near their talent level dude, if he was he would be linked with PSG, barca, real, dortmund, bayern. he's not. he's linked with arsenal and man u and spurs. man u and arsenal are old links from years past, spurs only ones with real interest.

I was not saying that McCarthy is currently at their level, just that these types of player are vital to a team.

Lets not forget that his is still young and will only get better.

If anyone watched us without him last year, it proved just how valuable he is to our team.

Also, McCarthy is 24 and has his best years ahead. Jedinak is a decent player, but there's a reason his career has peaked at Crystal Palace at the age of 30. He has never been good enough for anything better. To replace a 24 year old with him would be crazy.

I don't get the argument that as he's not linked to Bayern, PSG and Barca he isnt all that. But you say at the same time he's only linked to Arsenal and United. Not many British players move onto the continent, very few top players manage it. But being linked to the third and fourth best team on a regular basis, the journalists must rate him.

Edited by StevO

A person that tackles is not necessarily the person who has made the mistake.

It is conceivable that the opposition will have possession for periods of time which leaves the following to happen for them to concede psoession:-

they kick the ball out of play or the keeper saves the ball

they commit a foul or get caught offside

they pass to an opponent/the opponent intercepts

the opponent tackles them

tackling is an art.

Other possibilities:

they try to take on an opponent and loose the ball

they have a poor touch and loose the ball (it bounces either to an opponent or out to touch)

Both of those can be forced errors (first case, no-one to pass, second case, put under pressure).

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/591140/Manchester-City-Everton-James-McCarthy-Fabian-Delph-rejection-Aston-Villa

City for McCarthy to fulfill homegrown quotas. Wouldn't be mad at this if they paid sterling money.

£40m+ and maybe we will think about it.

Its a sellers market. A very good player at a very specific role and classed as home grown....